Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hurricane evacuation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
So, Hurricane Florence is bearing down, and my garage is prone to small amounts of flooding. I am planning on putting the Packard in my covered car trailer and parking it on some known high ground with jack stands under all four corners for wind stability if I can't find a flood free garage. Anyone have any better ideas or other hurricane experience?

Posted on: 2018/9/10 16:07
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: Hurricane evacuation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
The recent heavy rains and flooding in Houston resulted in many cars damaged or lost. Our lesson learned was that the areas that had historically avoided high water were hit hard and cars were lost as the water found new places to accumulate. So, don't take a chance, drive more miles inland and find a true high spot. With heavy evacuation traffic, stop lights, stop signs, and "evacuation" routes are your enemy. Get out your maps or internet maps and some country roads. Others will be doing the same thing, but it will be less painful. Take plenty of fuel. The wave of traffic that precedes you will consume all the fuel and despite best intentions, the fuel companies will not have enough trucks to refuel as many stations as need fuel. Take care of yourself and your family. Here's hoping for a non-event. All the best.

Posted on: 2018/9/10 20:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Rather than travelling long distances, could you park your Packard on an upper level of a multi storey car park well above flood/storm surge lines? This from someone who hasn't even been close to this kind of disaster.

Posted on: 2018/9/10 22:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Mal, I thought about the parking garage, but none of them are sealed enough that I could be assured the car would stay dry - the roof leaks slightly.

All is well though, I found parking about an hour away and the Packard is in its car trailer clear of everything. It looks like the storm is turning south anyway.

Posted on: 2018/9/12 15:41
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
All I'd say is the trade off - higher it is off the ground for water, the more exposed to wind.
I'd keep it tethered to a tow vehicle on firm surface rather than jack up, that way it's more stable and if you or someone need to move it, it's ready to go, harder to steal, (lock the hitch) as well. Best to protect/park behind away from the wind side, noting direction will change with the storm. Away from under trees etc. A concrete wall or building is nice. I'd check on it as soon as possible. With the rain predicted, the stands could sink in the ground and topple, as well.
I harden my garage a while ago for 100 mph. But everything is fair game in war and storms. Make sure the insurance is paid up...I'd check if covered where it is.
They're better at predicting movement on the ocean than on land.

Posted on: 2018/9/13 18:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved