Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 128

Daniel Leininger, DJP-37-120, humanpotatohybrid, CCR, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

How did the factory paint Carribeans in 1956
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scott Bluestein
See User information
The paint on my 56 Carribean convertible trunk is starting to chip away. I was told that the paint is all original on the car. However, the body shop thinks that someone may have re-sprayed the trunk in the past. The body shop is in the process of sanding down my trunk lid to repaint it due to the paint flaking off. I've attached A photo of what the trunk looks like. It appears that Packard used the old red primer, painted the car blue, and then painted the Dover White over the blue paint. Is this normal for how Packards were painted at the factory?

Thanks

Scott

Attach file:

jpeg  (167.34 KB)
154412_5ba16ee370f82.jpeg 1920X1441 px

Posted on: 2018/9/18 16:32
 Top  Print   

Re: How did the factory paint Carribeans in 1956
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did you try the Search tool? I can recall going thru this subject some years ago. IIRC and my memory isn't what it once was, the tricolor cars were painted top down, thus, Dover White first. I also seem to recall some details about how the lower colors wrapped into door jambs, etc.

Maybe someone can supply a link to those old posts.

A good topic for Leeedy to chime in on.

Posted on: 2018/9/18 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here is an old thread that discusses the door jamb paint '55 vs '56 Caribbeans.

Posted on: 2018/9/19 9:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scott Bluestein
See User information
I really appreciate the help. Since there are so few Packards in South Carolina, I feel like being on a deserted island when it comes to Packard repairs. The willingness to share knowledge makes this forum so great!!!

Posted on: 2018/9/19 10:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
I feel your pain being out their all alone with your Packard. Thanks to this forum , I printed loads of information to help my mechanic. Whether he uses it or not I don't know. When anything is wrong with my car, I use the materials here and tell him what I think needs to be done.

Posted on: 2018/9/19 11:40
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

ssb15 wrote:
The paint on my 56 Carribean convertible trunk is starting to chip away. I was told that the paint is all original on the car. However, the body shop thinks that someone may have re-sprayed the trunk in the past. The body shop is in the process of sanding down my trunk lid to repaint it due to the paint flaking off. I've attached A photo of what the trunk looks like. It appears that Packard used the old red primer, painted the car blue, and then painted the Dover White over the blue paint. Is this normal for how Packards were painted at the factory?

Thanks

Scott

If this is the same car that was pictured in another post with flaking paint, it was already apparent this car or the component shown was repainted and suffering from a case of lacquer crackle. Part of the reason for the lacquer crackle was two layers of paint repeatedly expanding and contracting at different rates.

As for the Conner Plant painting the deck lids blue, this was certainly not a normal procedure for 1956 Caribbeans. Normally these cars were painted all Dover White (somewhere I have an image one one under construction prior to tri-toning) unless special-ordered with an unusual color scheme.

Then stripe colors were added. And as I have said in a previous post long ago, Masking tape and paper were all one piece... and masking a Caribbean was a piece of cake for the pre-paint guys. Nothing at all to stress over. All the masking guy had to do was run the tape edge roughly down the middle of the trim attachment holes on the side of the body. There was still leeway even then. Remember, the stainless strips of trim that separated the colors were fairly wide.

And here is where another myth can be exploded (though I'm certain it will continue anyway). ALL painting of 1955-56 bodies and components was done on the SECOND floor of the Conner Plant. Second floor... that's right. That same second floor that the myths tell you didn't exist.

Normally bodies were painted red oxide primer. They were usually assembled with doors and deck lid in place and all this in primer. The primer was baked to harden it. The front fenders and hood were painted separately (usually in black primer, then Dover White top coat).

There were other stages in these paint applications, but painting a deck lid blue on a Caribbean just wasn't normal procedure. By the way, paint colors were applied based on information that was telegraphed to the plant. So... this said, it was a possibility for a mistake to be made... a TWX to be mis-read.

And folks need to understand something here. With a total of 276 Caribbean convertibles and 263 hardtops for 1956... please. We're not looking at a tough goal here. When I worked on the first Mustangs we sometimes turned out 800 cars on a single shift!

Anyway... for what it's worth...

Posted on: 2018/9/21 0:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thank you Leeedy - it is always good to get info from someone who was there. A tip of the hat to you!

Posted on: 2018/9/21 2:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:
randy berger wrote:
Thank you Leeedy - it is always good to get info from someone who was there. A tip of the hat to you!

You are most welcome. One of the guys my aunt worked for at Packard was responsible for setting up Conner. I interviewed him back in the 1970s and made a lot of notes-most of which I still have.

One of the biggest heartbreaks of all looking back is that much of what went into Conner Avenue was new equipment. Even the signage outside, which was beautiful at night. It wasn't even there a full two years before it was shut down. A collossal loss.

At first we used to drive past the idled plant and feel sorry about it. But when they started tearing it down my dad and I decided we didn't want to look at it being destroyed and we stopped taking that route down Conner Avenue. By the time we finally decided to go down Conner once again, all that remained was the end of a brick tower. It was a very, very sad time in Detroit. I am surprised today at how many people have forgotten this. I remember people putting their houses up for sale and moving (some out of state) immediately after... and it never stopped from that time on.

Posted on: 2018/9/22 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I often wonder if Packard had not purchased Studebaker whether they would have fared any better. Maybe a "new" '57 might have been realized.
But it seemed like all the independent car makers were running out of steam by 1957 or so.

John

Posted on: 2018/9/22 10:53
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike Hammerberg
See User information
Do you know what date the first 56's came off the line at Conner?

Posted on: 2018/9/22 17:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved