Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 130

Daniel Leininger, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New Owner 1949 Deluxe 2262-9
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello All,

Thought I'd do a quick intro and post some pictures of my Packard. I'm the new owner of a black 49 Deluxe 8, 2262-9, with 52,000 miles. From what I know of it, it was from the New Bedford, MA area and seemed to belong to a Packard collector involved in owners clubs and events. Sometime more recently the owner's estate went to his son, then was sold off a few years ago to the guy I bought it from. He also claimed there were some real top-dollar Packard models in the collection when they went to buy this car. My goal is to get it basically running to confirm no major low end or catastrophic engine failure occurs, then make it roadworthy by refocusing on brakes and a typical safe rolling/regular use project process. Last time it ran was 1980, but the engine rotates freely and has been soaking in MMO. Yesterday I dropped the pan and everything looks pretty good, now I just have to get it clean, back on, and re-install the gas tank. With the other projects I've done so far, should be ready for a first crank soon! Got to beat the approaching winter!

It's been in dry storage most of the car's life and has no structural rust at all from what I've found, which was the factor that led me to buying since everything else in my bargain price range seemed to have the New England Salt-belt open floor and trunk pan feature/fully ventilated rocker panels. Also, another big plus for me was that it lacks the typical NE bargain-find feature where its cave-aged in a garage with grass-fed, free-range mice who are specifically trained to access different interior and wiring components. Random facts include having a Marvel Inverse Oiler #200625 installed 6/22/1951 and a penciled notation in the owner's manual saying car was "overhauled" at 38,579 in May of 1952 (which I assume is when the engine components happened). Now that it's been raining I can also confirm that it doesn't have internal leaks!

I love the car and can't wait to get mine to a point where I can drive it!

~Evan

Attach file:

jpeg  (299.52 KB)
181869_5bc2550b324ea.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (230.59 KB)
181869_5bc2551dbf5f9.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (261.98 KB)
181869_5bc25531115e9.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (278.31 KB)
181869_5bc2555b446c6.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/10/13 15:35
 Top  Print   

Re: New Owner 1949 Deluxe 2262-9
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to the Packard family and congratulations on what looks to be a very nice car for the first one. Very nice road cars when new and still well mannered today although not having an overdrive might be missed if you plan on any distance driving. Lots of people with similar models are on this forum so I am sure most if not all your questions can be answered quickly and competently.

Posted on: 2018/10/13 15:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
Welcome Evan,
I bought my '50 about 4 months ago and people here have been very helpful figuring it out. Mine was a somewhat similar situation, coming from an estate, and it has thrown me a few curve balls along the way. With the help of a mechanic friend and the knowledge of members here I'm working the bugs out. My car is off the road once again for some needed repairs but I can tell you that it is a pure joy to drive and gets a lot of attention wherever I take it. I'm glad to see another New Englander here. I have not seen another one of these cars at a show around here so it really stands out. Good luck with the project.
Don

Posted on: 2018/10/14 5:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
Welcome to the Forum from a fellow Packard neophyte! I note in your pics that the head on your engine is red, not green or gray, indicating it has been replaced at some point. I love the clear plastic seat covers! As a fellow neophyte, here are a few tips off the top of my head, in no particular order. Use rain x! You can get your wiper motor rebuilt by searching the web for the guys who rebuild AMC vac wipers. The gas tank should whistle when you fill it up, until its about full, so don't freak out when it does. Its supposed to do that. Read thru this website, including the relevant service bulletins. They will answer a lot of questions beforehand. When turning on the headlites, there is a latch underneath the button that you also have to articulate. When people were using the cigarette lighter to light up their 67th filterless camel of the day, they would hit the headlight button and turn them off, so they put in the latch.
You can get replacement fake cloth covered wire pretty cheap on Ebay. I have a stock 8 with the heat shield and double action fuel pump have not had any vapor lock problems at all so far. Every car is different, but consider that before you reconfigure the fuel system. Remember at all times that the car is POSITIVE GROUND. Parts for Packards are expensive, so deal with the important before you start buying shiny gee-gaws.

Shameless Plug Section:
1. I have a 49 Touring Sedan parts car.

2. Postwar Packards are relatively rare in the AACA, at least in the Mid Atlantic, so consider joining that.

3. I think you will find that the folks on this Forum are very, very helpful, and all you have to do is ask! They have already helped me out a lot. No question is to arcane nor too trivial.

Posted on: 2018/10/19 9:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Evan(H.E.PennyPackard),
to PackardInfo. And, I invite you to include your '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/10/20 5:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Once I add it to the registry can I update the info as I move along? I'm looking to uncover more info about the interior codes etc... Also I anticipate any day now my repair and restoration skills will bring this from non-running fair condition all the way up to full concourse winner ;)

Posted on: 2018/10/20 15:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Once I add it to the registry can I update the info as I move along?"

Sure can! it says ".....You can add your Packard to this Roster and even come back an edit it later...."

Posted on: 2018/10/20 18:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
H.E.PennyPackard,
for including your '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/10/27 15:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved