Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 123

Daniel Leininger, Ross, DJP-37-120, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Just getting started on gathering parts for the Packard and wanted to see if anyone has upgraded the headlights to halogens, converted the wipers to electric ....or has recently replaced the top.

I have a long way to go before needing these parts but my quick search here did not disclose any Forum entries on the lights. EBay lists a bolt on conversion for the wipers but it also says it is for 12 volt and would require a converter. No real mention of positive ground.

I did locate a 6 volt positive ground Petronix unit for an Autolite Distributor.

With all of the old cars I prefer electronic ignitions and headlamps that illuminate the road better than a flashlight. The cars seldom see rain but the electric wiper conversion has been installed on several projects and has been easier than trying to get the vacuum wipers to work.

Assume that someone has found a decent supplier for a replacement top.

Just want to see if parts are available and pricing before getting to the point where I need them.

Thanks in advance for any info.
RJR

Posted on: 2018/10/15 15:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
6-volt positive ground Pertronix has proven quite troublesome for many owners, most all that I know reverted back to points and condenser for better reliability. Primarily it's a problem of the having very little cushion between the triggering voltage and the available voltage during engine cranking. I'd think twice about it. I can also recommend Ficken Wiper Service (www.wiperman.com) for your vacuum motor, about $99 and you'll have all the wiper performance you'll ever need, assuming an engine in decent internal condition and tune. Bill Hirsch has most all the halogen bulbs for this era, he'd be a good place to check first.

Posted on: 2018/10/15 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Thanks Owen....can always depend on you for straight answers.
Adjusting to 12 v positive ground with the 55 Caribbean was a learning experience. Going to take a while to figure out a 6 cylinder car with standard shift and a 6 volt system.
I'lol touch base with Bill Hirsh about the top and upholstery but glad to know he also deals with the bulbs.
My wiper motor is gone and that was what prompted question on
Electric conversion. Was hoping to get to Hershey and see if Ficken was there but weather...sucked.
Stay well
RJR

Posted on: 2018/10/15 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I may be one of the few that has had luck with the 6 volt pos. ground Pertronix. I first installed it in my 54 Caribbean which was running great when I installed it in the summer of 1996 up till I traded it 3 years ago for my '39 Super 8 which I also installed a Pertronix system and is running fantastic - engine turns over twice before it starts from cold and 1/2 a turn from warm. I also installed another Pertronix in a 1954 Pacific - also 6 volt positive and that was back in Spring of 2001. It feels like the hotter spark makes the engine run smoother also. The key I believe to a good Pertronix system is an Optima sealed battery - probably why I never had a problem.

Cheers,
Steve

Posted on: 2018/10/15 16:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve, glad to hear you've had good results with your Pertronix. I suspect your good performance is due to scrupulously clean and tight connections, a starter motor in very good condition, and an engine in good condition and well-tuned and likely nothing to do with the source of the voltage, assuming batteries are up to snuff.

Posted on: 2018/10/15 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Owen, you are most certainly correct in your assumption, I do have a healthy engine, rewired (with correct gauge wire) and good connections - I forgot to mention I also had the 6 volt starter modified for 4.5 volts for 33% faster spin. I have to make sure she starts first time, every time because you don't want my wife to be riding with you when you can't get it started. Believe Me!!!

Posted on: 2018/10/17 17:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved