Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hand Brake - Part missing????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
In redoing the brakes on my '39 six, I replaced the E-brake cable which was virtually 'frozen' prior to; now I have a really smooth pull to engage the parking brakes, but I am having troubles with the handle itself. I have it out and it almost looks like there is maybe a spring missing. I can fiddle with it and get the teeth to engage to lock it and the release 'thumb-paddle' has good spring to it, but the toothed cam that interlocks with the main body, goes where it wants, and ultimately disengages, so I can pull the E-brake on, but can't get it to catch and lock. Is there supposed to be an outer spring on that locking pawl?? Is there a parts explosion anywhere on the assembly? If there's a spring, does anyone have/know where I can get one? Notwithstanding, anybody know where I can get a replacement handle that works? I DID buy the replacement rubber grip for it from Steele and it is a perfect repro, so I've got that part covered... Any help, much appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Posted on: 2018/10/27 12:25
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: Hand Brake - Part missing????
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I suspect but cannot say for sure that your brake handle may be very similar in operation to the Clipper body handles used from 41-50 but with a difference on the release location. You might check out this 47 illustration and see how they compare.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=7&PlateNumber=2833&partslist=1941-1947 If that won't work I don't know of any other illustrations of the earlier handles that might show better detail.

Posted on: 2018/10/27 12:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Looks quite similar Howard - thank you. I only see one spring in there and it looks like it is that one that returns the release trigger to the unsqueezed position. That small pawl with the teeth - does it just operate on gravity?? I don't see anything that would apply positive pressure to keep it engaged with the receiving teeth on the fixed arm?? it would seem to be prone to sticking or binding with dirt and rust over time, if it was just supposed to 'fall' into the teeth when the lever is engaged??
Has anyone else ever run into this problem??? Chris.

Posted on: 2018/10/27 19:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have no specific knowledge of your parking brake but it just seems beyond reason that the pawl wouldn't be assisted by a spring to insure positive engagement.

Posted on: 2018/10/27 21:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Seems to me. 118 that 120 spring fits on 118 some how. And 119

Posted on: 2018/10/28 5:32
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Chris, do you have any photos of your handle? We might be able to figure the mechanics out if you do. It does appear the release lever on the early handle pushes against a different place than the Clipper version so maybe the operation is a bit different.

From what I can see on my Clipper (not much because it is well hidden up behind the dash and other brackets) the torsion spring 120 pushes against the V on the ratchet cam 118 which is mounted inside the release lever 119 and keeps the teeth meshed. Via the long pointed tongue on the cam, the spring also provides tension to the release lever to keep it forward. The way the release is hinged, when it is pulled rearward the front side of the release pushes back against the spring and long tongue on the toothed cam tipping it down and releasing the mesh with the fixed teeth.

Posted on: 2018/10/28 13:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Dave, Riki, Howard, for taking the time to reply; appreciate it. The problem with my handle unit is, it's riveted together. Short of grinding the rivets off and opening it up, it is very hard to see how the 'guts' are supposed to be/work. I will take some pics tomorrow and post; maybe somebody can shed some light on why it doesn't engage. All I know is the 'thumb trigger' to release the gear when the brake is set, has really nice spring tension, but the pawl flips around and if it does engage, its only by chance.

Posted on: 2018/10/28 13:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
In studying the parts pic Howard posted, it looks like maybe that long tail on the end of spring (1.120) should sit on 'top' of the tail on the pawl (1.118) to provide tension on it. If the spring IS broken, is there any chance on the planet of finding one!??! I would think that would be on the north side of impossible. I could certainly grind the rivets off and reassemble with bolts and thin nuts, if I COULD come up with a spring. Probably be easier to find a replacement complete assembly. Anyway, I WILL post a couple of pics and see where it goes.

Posted on: 2018/10/28 13:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the shape isn't too intricate you might think about making the spring, over the years I've had to make a few and it can be a rewarding little project and add a new skill to your resume. There are several good tutorials on YouTube that give general principles.

Posted on: 2018/10/28 14:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I only see one service spring listed for the 120 handle and a different one for the 18 & 19th series which happens to be the same spring listed for the Clipper type. They must have changed the handle assy in 40 and kept it thru 50.

Whether Kanter might have the factory spring is a question. Max does not list it. With only one spring listed and the release lever appearing to work, I wonder if the spring is broken -- or at least broken completely. If it does need replacing and Kanter doesn't have any, assuming it is a torsion spring like the other handle, then if there are some approx dimensions and an idea of what it would need to do to function McMaster has assorted style torsion, extension and compression springs. Possibly one of those could be adapted or as Dave said, made from scratch.https://www.mcmaster.com/torsion-springs

Attach file:

jpg  (28.68 KB)
209_5bd613a32f02c.jpg 1258X226 px

Posted on: 2018/10/28 14:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved