Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

56 concept
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Learning more and more about trends of mid-Fifties styling, have attempted to apply to 127 wb car.

- straight through sides for appearance of greater width
- chrome beltline removed
- door handles moved to body
- hardtop style roof

Also lengthened hood to suggest Request-style grill, which might have allowed car to stay viable through 57.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.26 KB)
2060_5be23d85917f7.jpg 1020X612 px

Posted on: 2018/11/6 20:19
 Top  Print 

Re: 56 concept
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That is beautiful and 1956 Clipper/Executive was a great design to begin with and you're taken it many steps beyond while maintaining the great lines. My only negative comment is that you're always keen on the lower door handles and my fear is that unless they're somehow flush which was not something done then, they'll stick out too far due to the outward bulge.

Posted on: 2018/11/12 14:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I vote to lower the handles even further and put them on the molding defining the color band, so they disappear from the side

Posted on: 2018/11/12 15:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Glad you like most of the design and great point about the problem with handles moving to body. Perhaps Packard could have gone with recessed handles like most 57 Chrysler Corp cars did. Reason for moving the handles was to lower the beltline and inch and an half, trying to keep pace with the trend at the time towards taller greenhouses and lower bodies. The 57 Program would have put Packard squarely in the hunt in this respect and I think the handles were to be recessed.

Posted on: 2018/11/12 19:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Don't like it.

1..takes away..from the body lines. Your looking at two big blobs. In the door.

2..a painter's nightmare..painting around those handles.

Where Packard had them . the body was clean . your looking at paint..not blobs..

Posted on: 2018/11/15 0:05
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Painting around the handles??
Some serious lack of knowledge here.

Posted on: 2018/11/15 14:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Well, I like it, I would have bought it if I was old enough to drive back then.

Posted on: 2018/11/15 15:36
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
No. Randy. Experience.

Yes a hack..would paint it. And have over spray all over . then spend time block sanding and buffing.

Another. Hack Packard. It belongs on a GM. Site where other hacks are.

Posted on: 2018/11/15 22:24
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
It belongs right here until BigKev says otherwise, as do our etiquette norms.

Yes, there is a clash of two body sections that is not apparent in side view but you guys know the 3D surfacing better than anyone. The radius from body to rear fender crown is tighter than body to front fender crown, the two surfaces intersecting at forward edge of the fender bulge creating a shelf with a slight trough. With straight-through sides this clash would have needed resolved, probably just forward of windshield if rear fenders had been carried over. This is how the 57 Program handled the same issue. Alternatively, if rear fenders were to have been reshaped, the disconnect could have been resolved aft of backlight like on the Panther show car.

Putting the handles on the top part of side trim certainly could have been explored, bringing its own plus & minus to appearance and also a potential customer reach issue for tall folks.

As for the bulges on body, yes that would have been the case, not unlike any car with broad shoulders, 58 and later Lincolns coming to mind. And a bulge at bottom of door had rear fender shape been carried all the way forward. Whether all this would have looked good/bad is a matter of personal preference. I do think that had Packard decided to invest more money in the 55 major refresh to get to straight-through sides, they might as well have widened the front track since they were already tearing everything up underhood and installing new suspension. This would have widened the body in forward half of car and put the body surface on same same plane as rear fender bulge. Without it the body might have bowed out at center of vehicle.

From an appearance perspective my feeling is that first priority was tooling a longer hardtop roof for the 127 sedan, sorely needed by 56. Also helpful would have been shaving 1.5 inches off the sills - Reinhart's high pockets - which would have forced the handles to the body, which would have all but forced reverse opening rear doors else rear handles would stick out and look odd. Also on the list would have been a cleaned up Request grill and straight-through sides. The first two were really needed in 54, imho, at least as a high end offer to help Packard take on Cadillac's best.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.99 KB)
2060_5bf0703d8b915.jpg 1020X612 px

Posted on: 2018/11/17 15:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm surprised that you replied to that snotty comment. Differences in opinions are good but nastiness is not!

Posted on: 2018/11/17 15:33
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved