Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
The color chips and formulas for 1955 and 1956 that most count would be from the original supplier of the paints for the factory. The real factory Packard paint supplier for this period was Rinshed-Mason.

But getting a color matched today? Go to a good automotive paint store... get the adjacent paint on the car where you intend to do touch-up computer scanned... and have it mixed. If you comb over your car looking for "good paint" and go by that, it's not going to match. Go to the area adjacent to where you intend to touch up and scan that area as it is. This will ensure your best chances for a match-up touch-up.

Posted on: 2018/11/29 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Since you live in San Diego, give "Chips" a call at TCP Global. I would bet they have the color chart that you need available. Ask him for an invete to look things over.

We made two trips to TCP when we were trying to figure out what color we wanted on our '32 901. We settled on IM504 which was used on 1931 DeSoto. Being that one could order a Packard from the factory in primer and have it painted in a color that was available IM504 is a correct from a judging standpoint.

I did all my the body work, priming and block sanding myself. Almost all of the prep & paint supplies I used cam from them as did the final paint. I found their products to be of good quality and the prices (when compared to others) to be wallet friendly. While they can't tell you whose paint they mix from when I got mine about 4 years ago it was PPG.

Posted on: 2018/11/29 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks. All.

If they had a hand scanner..no place to get a chip.of paint.

Tri city did the paint for a model train. Took the car to them. Think it was to big to scan. But used car as a sample.

The Nanson paint on my car I bought from tri city. In the 80s. When it was a mom and pop paint store.

Posted on: 2018/11/29 20:02
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
PPG Paints has a Color Library which has the old formulas which they can look up using the original paint codes and convert to their current pigments and chemistry. Their number is (800) 647-6050. They will only give the new formula to one of their authorized dealers to mix the paint, but you can call them to make sure they have the information on your color.

I had them match Adriatic Blue for my steering column shift collar and Danube Blue for my wheels. While they are not a perfect match to the old paint, in my case the newly painted parts are in locations where it is hard to compare them.

Posted on: 2018/11/30 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks 55 clip..

Posted on: 2018/12/1 1:23
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
H H

Calif. Let's a category 4 paint. Urethane.
To be sold and applied.

But bans a category 3 paint lacquer.

Posted on: 2018/12/1 1:33
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
TCP Global is close to you. You don't say if your car is two or three colors. TCP will do a great job matching your current colors. I had mine matched (Tri-color) by using the gas cap lid and a fender skirt.

For me it is a 325 mile round trip drive. I will admit that I went down in the RV and made it a nice get away. I've always liked the area and enjoyed the years that I spent there when I worked for Scripps Institute of Oceanography. However, the traffic now is a bit of a bitch.

When it come to California compliant it is nice to have a son that lives in Nevada.

Posted on: 2018/12/4 3:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved