Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 42

bazou37, Ozstatman, Rscott77x, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 Patrician
Just popping in
Just popping in

BTR
See User information
On a 1955 Patrician, I need to pull the lower bell housing section (Ultramatic trans). Along with six bolts or so, it looks as though it is firmly held by a couple of dowels, one on the top flange on each side of the housing.
Is the correct approach for removal to tap out the dowels upward, then to separate the lower housing?
I'm hoping that pulling that housing will give me room to drop the engine oil pan and inspect the bottom end of the engine, and clean the pan on a car that's been sitting for many years.
Thank you for any time you take to respond. I'm helping a friend, and this is new territory for me.

Posted on: 2018/12/31 15:03
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Typically once the lower trans bolts and those for the halves are removed the lower half can be removed without much effort. If it has been down before it may start on its own once any pressure from the trans is off and just come with fingers wiggling and pulling as long as nothing gets hung up or is rusted or stuck from the long sit. If some persuasion is needed you can gently use a screwdriver between the halves to start working it down. The dowels may or may not move with the lower half but at any rate the lower half needs to come down very evenly side to side so you would work the driver a tiny bit at a time alternating sides until it clears.

Posted on: 2018/12/31 15:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Patrician
Just popping in
Just popping in

BTR
See User information
Howard,

Thank you so much! It is clean on the floor. The right side dowel wanted to hang up, but a little tapping with a brass drift and the housing came off nicely, which then gave me room to pull the pan back a little from the oil pickup and pump and drop it as desired.

Happy New Year, and thanks for your speedy reply,

Rick

Posted on: 2018/12/31 17:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved