Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 85

Mechagon, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shop Manual
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Is the shop manual for the 1956 models the same as the one for 1955? I'd like to buy one for my 1956 400, but all I see for sale is 1955.

Thanks,

Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2019/1/7 19:31
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: Shop Manual
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is the same manual. For most significant changes made on 56 models there are supplemental pages at the end of each relevant section. If you want to check the literature page here on site, download a section or just look thru the manual to see how they did it before buying a copy. Electrical is one section I can think of with additional supplement pages and there are others. There are a few items that didn't get supplemental info but for the most part major changes are covered.

Posted on: 2019/1/7 19:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Like h said.

Just remember..55 is positive ground.

The torque converter is different to...the hub is different..odd looking..

56 torque converter I like ...

Used my dad's 55 manual for 50 years..he does have the supplements to..to for ultra and rear end..i think electrical too..

Buy it if it's reasonable...orginal is what I am referring to.

Posted on: 2019/1/7 22:03
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Steve.43 wrote:
Is the shop manual for the 1956 models the same as the one for 1955? I'd like to buy one for my 1956 400, but all I see for sale is 1955.

Thanks,

Steve in Indiana

Be certain to get a workshop manual that includes the 1956 supplemental information. For many years, the Packard Club had these manuals available and you can still likely get one either via the club or by advertising on the club website or via ads in the club publications.

I very, very strongly recommend that you not use a standard 1955 workshop manual since there are so many changes for 1956. For instance:

? The 1956 Twin Ultramatic transmission is ALL aluminum. The 1955 is not. Using the 1955 torque specs for the bell hosing on the 1956 transmission will guarantee you'll strip the daylights out of the bolt threads in the case housing.

? The 1955 is Positive Ground. The 1956 is Negative Ground.

There are other differences-some that can cause real trouble if you don't know the subtle differences.

Also you'll want to look up the factory Service Bulletins that were issued which contain important information in neither manual. I believe some of these Bulletins are in the archives on the Packard Information web site.

Important stuff to consider when working on your 1956 Four Hundred.

Posted on: 2019/1/8 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thanks to all hwo responded. I took your advice and got a manual that represents both the '55 and '56 Packards. I continue to be very glad for this site.

Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2019/1/21 10:43
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved