Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 41 Packard coil confusion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a clip of the 110 point and plug gap recommendations from Packard specs. The entire service letter containing complete specs and a factory wiring diagram for the 41 line can be downloaded from the literature section.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL14NO17.pdf The factory diagram shows wire sizes and colors but is not as easy to follow as the A.E.A. diagram which can be found on the PAC site.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.29 KB)
209_5c5f70332ada4.jpg 712X628 px

Posted on: 2019/2/9 19:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Got new points and condenser in..new coil wire and plugs...started right up! And did not stall out....radiator fluid that was leaking last two weeks while working on it seems to have stopped leaking when I ran engine? I filled the radiator full before trying to get it going and it seems to be holding fine. My big question is can the car be running ok with 4 of the six plugs out of sequence with original diagram? I don't have the experience to hear the misfiring if that is possible...should I move plugs to correct position on engine or just leave it alone...thanks for all the help

Posted on: 2019/2/10 14:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you sure you're checking the firing order around the distributor cap in the proper rotation (clockwise or counterclockwise)?

An engine can be properly timed with the distributor in different positions, the wire positions not matching some pictorial doesn't necessarily mean the it's not wire d correctly, though of course they must be in the correct order.

Don't fill the radiator full or it will overflow as the coolant warms and expands. An inch or so over the top of the tubes is quite adequate for a cold fill.

Posted on: 2019/2/10 15:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
I was thinking that could be my issue...that they could be in sequence but the distributor is in a different position than the diagram I have . So I have to check them from the cylinders back to distributor look at that sequence and see if it matches the sequence in correct firing order on diagram going counterclockwise as noted on diagram...I was assuming the distributor numbers on diagram is where they had to be...thanks for the response that makes more sense to me now...I will check them tmrw and post back tmrw...I'm learning

Posted on: 2019/2/10 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I set my distributor to match the diagram and found the rotor went in the opposite direction. I think you can touch the Starter button with the key off and see which direction your fan moves. Or to confirm the direction of the rotor, unhook the cap, place a mirror on the frame, and push the starter button and see which direction it turns. #1 ignition wire is easiest to trace. Then you just need to check the next wire to know if it's set up in the right direction.

This is just to let you know, this simple mistake happens.

Posted on: 2019/2/11 11:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved