Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R9 - No clunk
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
I have read one of the initial steps on diagnosing the R9 OD system no longer working is to ground the 5 terminal on the relay. Most says it will clunk and if it does to do X/Y. But where do I go next if there is no clunk from the solenoid? Wiring issue? Fuse?

Some say to check the fuse, but I can not locate, where that is?

The lockout switch is function and is closed.

It was working fine for a few months and then stopped. I do know the wire loom that goes to the solenoid is a total mess.

I know there are a lot of threads on this.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2019/2/16 20:38
1948 Packard 2262 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan ? "Clara Belle"
1964 Rambler Classic 550 ? "Ramona"

Wishlist: 1939 Graham Spirit of Motion, Shark nose
 Top  Print   

Re: R9 - No clunk
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
Also, there is no click from the relay either when attempting to ground #5, no noises anywhere, aside from my sigh that is

Posted on: 2019/2/16 20:46

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The R9 fuse is inline and probably between the starter solenoid and the reverse lockout safety switch if you have that update or between the starter solenoid and terminal 1 on the relay box if the reverse safety sw is not installed. The fuse holder is most likely located fairly near the starter solenoid.

I would check for 6v on terminal 1 of the relay. If you have the voltage but hear no clicks when grounding terminal 5, the relay is suspect. If you do have a click from the relay but nothing from the solenoid the relay contacts could be dirty or there could be a problem in the wiring to the solenoid or in the solenoid itself. If an original factory loom, the "total mess" wiring has been known to have problems with inline connectors which join two parts of the harness. The connectors are located near the frame X member roughly under the drivers feet.

Assuming the relay clicks, next step would be to verify voltage out at terminal 3 and 4 at the relay and also terminal 3 and 4 at the solenoid. The solenoid must have both voltages. It will not pull in with 3 alone so must have 4 but if 4 is present and not 3 then the solenoid will rapidly pull in and out or "machine gun". Assuming both voltages are present, there is a set of contacts inside the solenoid that could have a problem so the pull in coil is not working or the pull in coil could be burned open.

Attach file:

jpg  (60.79 KB)
209_5c68c4dad4f4c.jpg 839X644 px

jpg  (59.55 KB)
209_5c68c7823dc27.jpg 640X573 px

jpg  (43.63 KB)
209_5c68c798dc546.jpg 706X526 px

Posted on: 2019/2/16 21:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
Thanks Howard, I know this is covered a lot here and I appreciate you detailing for me once again.

I will dig a bit deeper based on your guidance and report back as needed,

Posted on: 2019/2/16 21:43

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
There was no power to the number one terminal on the relay. Found the inline fuse ( it was just before the reverse safety switch as mentioned ) and it was good.

Turns out it was the reverse safety switch. It was not making a connection and thus no power to the relay. Removed it, opened her up, cleaned up all the contacts, and reinstalled. Success!!! So pumped!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Howard!

Posted on: 2019/2/17 17:06

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad it was something simple. Your cleaning and adjusting labor provided a cheap fix but had it been a relay or solenoid, those items for R9s are not plentiful. Buying either from some places is getting to the point it is no longer just an arm or leg but rather the firstborn.

Posted on: 2019/2/17 17:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved