Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 76

CartRich, Plugs1, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: V8 PACKARD FACTORY AIR CONDITIONING PHOTOS & INFO WANTED
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Leeedy, I have been curious about the "Modern Aire" designation which I do not ever recall seeing referenced in Packard literature. Do you know if it was a Packard trademark like Torsion Level or Easamatic or any of the others and for some reason was not promoted or was it a name that was maybe of a vendor where the outlets were obtained?

Please see my response to Let The Ride Decide on this matter. I'll talk more about it in the upcoming TPC article I'm working on. All these issues hopefully will be answered then.

Thanks much!

Posted on: 2019/3/1 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Photos from my 1956 400.

Thanks for posting these photos. What is shown here is the dealer-installed accessory safety brake fluid reservoir. Yes, I am very familiar with these units and had several of them NOS in the box when I was robbed in 2002 and they were taken with the rest of my Packard parts and my Packards. Very familiar with these.

However the gizmo I'm looking for was an extension on the filler plug that was supposedly released by S-P forV8 Packards equipped with factory air conditioning.

I have had several 1955-56 Packards with factory air over the years, but not one of them had the gizmo in question (different from the accessory safety brake fluid reservoir). I have had people tell me they had this thingie on their Packards, but nobody ever has shown me a photo of one in all these years. So? I'm on the hunt. If anybody has this gizmo or a photo of it, I would love to see it! Thanks again.

Posted on: 2019/3/1 10:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have disassembled a couple of 55s with factory AC and those did not have anything except the regular filler plug on the brake reservoir either. If pictures are forthcoming sure would be interesting to see if it was anything like the short version tube that is shown in a photo of another brand car someone posted a couple of weeks ago.

IMO, an extension tube would be kind of a kludge and leave a bit to be desired. Kind of makes me wonder if it was really in production and why they would go to the expense to design and make something like that instead of just including the already available and proven remote fill jar on AC cars. I would think a tube like fill extension was one of those things that was more a design or wishful thinking idea and never got much past paper -- sort of like the high performance package that never saw the light of day other than maybe on a few experimental cars -- or was proven impractical.

The remote jar would work nicely and would fit and clear the blower if it were positioned right next to the wiper coordinator but really don't see how any kind of tube attachment to the filler cap could be brought within reach unless it was long and came up past the blower like the trans dipstick and again, IMO a long extension would lead to other issues. The large blower housing filling the space above the BTV and main air vent tube positioned next to the rocker covers just leaves no room for an arm and hand to reach down or around very far extension or not.

Posted on: 2019/3/1 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It might be constructive to know whether the extended filler neck and cap was designed by Bendix to accompany the TreadleVac where requested, or something Packard developed independent of Bendix.

Or if this is already known, which is it?

I have seen a stubby extended filler cap on TreadleVacs on non-Packards, so I suspect it was a Bendix development and not a Packard design.

Posted on: 2019/3/1 12:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Randy, the fluid in the remote fill jar looks very dark. This is normally a sign the fluid needs to be changed. Or, maybe this is an old photo and the service is no longer needed.

Posted on: 2019/3/1 12:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
You can see the gold paint, barely.

Attach file:

jpeg  (231.70 KB)
1220_5d91737adab3c.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  (219.79 KB)
1220_5d91739359b79.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  (217.64 KB)
1220_5d9173a331a0c.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  (155.30 KB)
1220_5d9173ba84e87.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/9/29 22:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. They obviously wanted to call attention to the name so makes me wonder even more why there appears to have been no mention or promotion in any of the literature. As near as I can remember it was always plain old air conditioning yet Ultramatic and Easamatic and a couple of other names Packard had adopted were frequently mentioned.

Posted on: 2019/9/30 7:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
People today forget (or never knew) that the 1950s was a time of a completely different mindset when it came to cars. People thought differently back then. Why this is forgotten is a mystery. I remember people being suspicious of air conditioning, power brakes and... power steering. There was even a newspaper article in Detroit that implied it was dangerous... that a car could steer too easily off of the road. MANY people removed power steering from their cars after a Detroit couple was killed in their Chevy when it missed a turn. Today... most people can't even imagine why anyone would want a car without power steering. Magazine articles and auction company write-ups today go to long lengths to discuss the ills of not having power steering. Or go out of their way to justify non-factory modern modifications to power steering, power brakes or air conditioning.

1955-1956 Factory air was something rarely purchased and air conditioning was a hugely mis-understood automotive feature in the mid-1950s. I remember a neighbor who bought a new 1956 Continental Mark II with air. She was having a hard time understanding that the A/C only worked properly with the windows closed. She would drive around with her windows down and couldn't understand why the car was still hot inside and why the windows had to be closed!

Another fellow we knew yanked the power steering off of his Chevy Nomad after hearing the story about the couple that died in their Chevy after running off of the road (for whatever reason).

People thought that seat belts meant a car was not safe. Some believed (some still do) that the best thing for a vehicle occupant in a crash was to be "thrown free." Of course this is an absurd notion and is usually the reason why occupants are mortally injured rather than saved. But again, this is the way many people thought back then.

Some people said that air conditioning made people sick. There were other rumors that stated using air conditioning on a hot day would put the driver to sleep! And on and on. Today, this is all stuff that people don't remember. But this is the way many people thought in the 1950s.

Anyway, regarding Modern-Aire V-8 factory air vents and the gold lettering, I will repeat what I posted earlier:

Yes, "Modern Aire" painted in gold is something I have noticed on several original A/C cars. I asked about this back in the 1970s when there were people still alive who remembered it.

The original plan was to have the vent assemblies painted as they were made (well ahead of the vehicle) but then schedules and other issues got out of hand. Problem is that these vents ended up being painted at Conner and it got to the point where nobody had the time or facility to do the fine gold highlighting on the letter embossing. Sadly, this and the body logos for torsion-level suspension went by the wayside as a result. There will be a bit more on this in the upcoming article I'm working on now for The Packard Cormorant magazine..

I am attaching a set of the vents that never had gold lettering. Thanks again. Keep the photos coming!

Attach file:

jpg  (191.43 KB)
1249_5d922fcf18bfc.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/9/30 11:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved