Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Modern lubrication suggestions
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
I thought I saw somewhere a list of recommended modern lubrication types for the senior cars. I have not found it. I need to know what type of oil to put in the 1928 transmission. Packard says a medium gear oil. What would that be today?

Posted on: 2019/3/23 11:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Modern lubrication suggestions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A straight mineral gear oil with defoamer, such as a SAE 160 GL-1 gear oil.

Posted on: 2019/3/23 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Thanks. Is there a list of all lubes for the 1928? Sort of a chart or something?

Posted on: 2019/3/24 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Didn't Dave Czirr do a paper on a list of lubrications for todays oils?
Wes

Posted on: 2019/3/24 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps you're thinking of an article I wrote years ago,"Favorite Lubricants"? It wasn't intended to cover all years and applications, though it does mention the application asked about in this post. It's still there called Lubricant Recommendations" to be read in the "Lubricants and Fluids" group on The Packard Club forum.

https://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

Posted on: 2019/3/24 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
This is the one I was thinking of.
Thanks!
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (423.30 KB)
1003_5c98e0a357946.jpg 1351X1919 px

Posted on: 2019/3/25 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
SAE160 is very stiff. I cannot find it at most shops. I use sae90 in my rear end. Would it be too thin for the transmission?

Posted on: 2019/4/1 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I never saw a rear axle specification prior to 1938 other than "See your Packard Dealer". From 1938 onward they specified 90w EP gear oil. There was a very good reason for the strange language. Packard pioneered the hypoid rear axle which requires EP - extreme pressure lubrication. So all Packard differentials from 1925 on require rear axle EP gear oil. Straight mineral oil is not an EP lubricant. Heavier than 90w will probably only create unnecessary power loss in the rear axle.

For the non-synchro transissions using heavier oils has been popular because it makes shifting a little easier for the novice. However, I like gear whine and always loved those transmissions with the standard oil. Using EP in the transmission is fine because they don't have any reactive metals in them. With 90w gear oil the shifting takes some practice, but the car sounds like a fire engine.

Posted on: 2019/4/1 19:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved