Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Are prices trending downwards for late 1930's Packards ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dave
See User information
welcome back, skateboard
We all are in the same boat (pt. boat that is) and all love Packard's, so lets keep it that way! Well my personal feeling is that a lot of us are getting old and dieing off, sorry I have to be blunt.. I'm 54 and the reason I have a Packard is because my dad had several when he was young so when it came time for me to get an older car I decided to get into Packard's and glade I did. Most younger crowds don't have dads that had Packard's or not into the older cars. The crowd is starting to thin. And to top it off a lot of these young guys are into the 60's cars or rat rodz or rice burners as they call it. I have a 1967 mustang, so at one time I fell in that category. But I'm a complete car nuuuut and love all of them. If I were a jay Leno I would have one of each car out there, and he's getting there. But we need to show "from a club point of view" the younger one the beauty of our love of Packard's. This is very important responsibility of the Packard clubs, or they will all end up in lost garages and museums or worst yet crushers The one's that are to far gone can be turned into rat rodz a cool Packard rat rod Moral of story, We need get these young guys into these cars. Do we have anyone out there that have Ideas how we can do this???.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 9:37
happiness is a 1950 Packard 1950 club sedan deluxe [img]https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=1892[/img]
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Those named car guys could set something up. And get press to bring back shop classes.all kids know
Are imports. Yet.. I bet they don't know those import manufacturers. Declared war on the US. And Packard. Was the power that won the war.

As far as I know Packard isn't in history classes.

But. Schools are trying to get rid of autobody classes. Yet. The classes are full.

Shop classes. Need to be brought back to 7th grade on up.

I have a 56 patrician that is going to be a parts car too much rust. Frame is good and a body could be put on it.

But a kid could fix the rust ..lot of cutting and welding. But excellent experience. Fabricate a body. And the best thing ..torsion bars..if they like the chopped mercury style. car already rides low.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 10:32
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
about the only way to get younger people into it...keep the prices trending downwards. These cars just don't scream to the younger crowd, so why waste (to them) a bunch of money on something they don't really see as "cool", but if it was cheap enough...they would probably pick one up and play around with it and grow to like it.

since I don't ever have plans to sell my late 30s....I will just buy more and the lower the price...the more I can buy.

Posted on: 2019/4/3 11:02
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I am watching the prices trend down, and that's good for me, since I'm young, and plan on adding a senior Packard to my fleet once I'm out of the Navy and done moving around. It is sad how much knowledge we're losing, and how quickly.

Posted on: 2019/6/26 9:11
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I agree given selected present restoration practices and application of "alternative facts" to justify them.

Global warming will take care of everything after I kick the bucket.

Posted on: 2019/6/27 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I concur on a lot of the opinions here. I belong to a club that has a shop and mentors to the local high schools on working on classic cars. We are trying desperately to keep young blood interested in our hobby.

I'm 45, and as a kid I remember a lot of Model A Ford clubs, and meets, and shows. I can't remember the last time I've seen a stock Model A at any show in the last 10-15 years.

That generation is finishing up, and frankly stock Model A's aren't practical on modern roads.

The thunderbird club had a large show in Canada last year, and they actually had more of the modern 2002-2005 Thunderbirds attend than the classic 55-72 Thunderbirds. Most of the owners left their older cars at home, because the modern birds are easier to drive, have AC, and it was just easier to hop in and come to the event.

My boss belongs to a Mustang club, and he shows up with his '72 MachI to club events. Most of the cars that show up are '96-'18 Mustangs. There are a few early mustangs but most don't drive them, because the convenience of the modern Mustang is easier to drive.

I'm seeing a lot of '50s cars fall out of favor as well. Friends my age see them as big lumbering relics. I disagree. I guess that just means more for us at a cheaper price.

1930's Packards can keep up on modern roads. The problem is it was my Great,Great Grandfathers car. You've got to love the design to want to own one, and the prices for restored ones are well out of my budget.

Posted on: 2019/6/27 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Continuing on the modern cars are easier to drive line, here is a cute YouTube video titled "Why Driving a 1930's Ford Model A Is So Insanely Difficult!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nXYDumzHI

It isn't difficult IF you are able and choose to understand the mechanical function and operation. The Eloi may get here before 802701.

Posted on: 2019/6/27 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
The answer of course is yes prices of older cars are falling, even as restoration costs are heading skywards. Not good trends, but there are good reasons for it.

It's basically demographics. The people who like (and can drive) the older cars are in retirement and/or becoming a bit old to park a car without power steering. Many younger people (and some not so young) cannot drive a car with a manual shift, and for that reason will not buy one. One of the pleasures of owning older cars comes from the sense of accomplishment in dealing with these things. Some of the attraction is just plain nostalgia.

We can't do much about falling values, but it does influence which cars are worth restoring. Fewer as time goes on, is the bottom line.

I know my interest in Packards is not shared by most of my family, so perhaps it's a selfish thing. So what, it's my money. But I do worry what happens to these cars when we're no longer around. If nobody else understands or appreciates them, they're just as likely to end up on the junk heap or being sold for far less than we think they are worth.

This phenomenon is not confined to Packards. It applies to older road cars in general, and antique race cars too (unless it's a Ferrari and for sale in the US!). Every club for owners of older cars worries as we do about how to keep the passion alive and attract younger blood. The answer is, you can't - at least not in the long run.

So what to do? Enjoy the cars while we can. Don't try to fool ourselves that they are an investment. And recognise that not everybody feels the same way about them. Did I say it's a selfish interest? Yes, a little bit but so what we've earned it. The positive is that more people can afford to buy and enjoy a nice old car if they wish.

Brian

Posted on: 2019/6/27 17:12
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
That is my plan, to enjoy the cars. Not worrying about trying to keep it for the next generation. Like someone said, if you don't drive it someone else will.

Posted on: 2019/6/27 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I get into frequent arguments with fellow car collectors regarding the restoration and preservation of the older cars vs. modernizing.
The older vehicles from the 1950's and earlier are not dependable transportation or necessarily safe.
The trade schools are graduating people who have no idea about generators, carburetors and even drum brakes.
It is difficult to find mechanics who have any idea about working on these vehicles and when you do, the cost can be prohibitive.
I still enjoy getting greasy and trying to figure out the quirks of these old cars but can understand why some would prefer a vehicle that starts, stops and will get you to and from a destination without concern for breaking down.
Some of the resto- mod Corvettes, 1955-57 Chevies with new frames, driveline and interior updates are selling for far more that restored originals. They offer the buyer the cool styling of the old cars with some of the reliability offered by new cars.
I cringed a few years ago when someone offered a 40 Darrin restomod on eBay with the new suspension and Viper drivetrain, but the price shot past the asking price for a restored original...and did not hit reserve.
It is nice to cruise in a unique older car but unless you can do the work yourself...or have good friends to assist...the cost of parts alone will frequently exceed the sale price.
There have been no real Packards on the showroom floor for over 60 years. Those of us who are old enough to have admired the cars when we could not afford them are now geezers. The new buyers are looking at the cars they aspired to own when they were 16.
As long as you accept the Packards are a hobby and not a substitute for an IRA....and the Forum continues to provide the assistance that the trade schools no longer provide, we can keep the cars on the road. Hopefully someone younger will be inspired to join the pack.
RJR

Posted on: 2019/6/27 22:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved