Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engineering number
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Clippered
See User information
Does anyone know if the Packard engineering number appears anywhere on a vehicle? Specifically, on a 55 Clipper? The title I have shows an ID number of 5562-22-7734, which according to the orig 1955 bill of sale is an Engineering number. The door tag and engine both show just 5562-7734, paint code is GB & trim is 43, so neither match the "22". Bureau of motor vehicles doesn't want to issue a title since numbers don't match
HELP!

Posted on: 2019/4/14 18:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Engineering number
Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
I never heard of an "engineering number." You should tell the BMV that the numbers DO match (the door tag and the engine numbers). Maybe the "22" was a typo way back when...

Posted on: 2019/4/14 20:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreeing with ECA, within the context of numbers used to identify a specific car, I've never heard of an "engineering number". Sorry I have no explanation for the 22 other than to state that for many years Packard would insert the paint code between the two sections of the VN on some written documents, but never to my knowledge on the VN as it was stamped on the plate, and in that case it would be a letter or letters, not digits.

I believe I still have a copy of the official letter Packard sent to the various state motor vehicle agencies with the needed information for 1955 titles and registrations. If you think that might be helpful with your DMV I could email it to you.

Posted on: 2019/4/14 20:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe the letter O_D mentioned is the same as a couple of service bulletins Packard issued to dealers that was included in the Aller collection. Unfortunately 55 was not included in the collection but 54 and 56 were covered and the format is the same for both.

Perhaps along with the 55 letter if different, or maybe someone has an official bulletin for 55 similar to these, the state bureaucrat or his supervisor could be satisfied. If nothing for 55 is available maybe showing the official number format for the year before and after that does not have the extra numerals would help.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 1,042.24 KB; Hits: 63

jpg  (262.35 KB)
209_5cb3e6a47dee2.jpg 1275X1650 px

jpg  (338.66 KB)
209_5cb3e6b007382.jpg 1275X1650 px

Posted on: 2019/4/14 21:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Clippered
See User information
I would appreciate the 1955 letter, if you have it. My e-mail is ak2564@nwcable.net.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2019/4/15 5:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I thought vehicle registration data was included in the back of the owner's manual. It is a summarized version of the comprehensive data Howard posted. May be wrong, but worth a look.

Posted on: 2019/4/15 11:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
It might be helpful to know that the engineering number is something that matters in a neighboring galaxy.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.91 KB)
757_5cb58e694e7ab.jpg 554X700 px

jpg  (37.10 KB)
757_5cb58f52bbe5d.jpg 288X500 px

Posted on: 2019/4/16 3:12
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved