The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 57

Highlander160, Jason75, more...

« 1 (2)

Re: thermostat's
Home away from home
From Coalmont, B.C., Canada
I am a little confused/curious on James' comments re 38/39's not having cylinder head T-stats, 'just shutter stats'. My '39 Six (1700) has both. My understanding was the rad thermostat's sole purpose was to activate the grill shutters and had nothing to do with controlling the flow of coolant through the head and block - is this incorrect?? The head thermostat fits up in the rad-to-head housing and has a stainless sleeve to retain it in place. It is 160 degree and my take was THAT was what controlled engine operating temp. Do I need a refresher course on how Packard's cooling systems function???

Posted on: 4/18 18:16:49

1939 Six, Model 1700

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=1823
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Forum Ambassador
From New Jersey
Just take note that you can also control engine temperature in liquid-cooled engines by controlling air flow to the radiator, no air thru the radiator = essentially no cooling.
That was a common method until the early to mid thirties and is still used on some stationary heavy equipment and highway trucks. My 1934 Eight has a shutter thermostat and no provision for a cylinder head thermostat. The growing popularity of higher boiling antifreeze (glycol replacing methanol) and hot water heaters replacing older type manifold heaters was a driving force in the change.

Bottom line, you could have one or the other, or both. Ultimately controlling coolant flow turned out to be more effective than controling air flow.

Posted on: 4/18 18:25:27

Home away from home
From Coalmont, B.C., Canada
Ahhh, I see... thanks for the explanation. Is it possible the head T-stat in my car is an 'add-on'??? The reason I ask, is most thermostats I have ever dealt with, sit in a recess in the head or coolant intake lower housing and the rad-hose-bib casting fits over them and locks them down. I have never seen a setup where the thermostat actually fits up inside the hose spout. Thought maybe it was an 'attempt' at an after-market addition of a coolant t-stat??

Posted on: 4/18 18:34:44

1939 Six, Model 1700

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=1823

Forum Ambassador
From New Jersey
I don't know how yours should be configured, you might look for an illustration in the shop manual or parts list. However in some later engines Packard did mount the thermostat in the top of the cylinder head hose gooseneck and used several methods (sleeve or wire clip) to secure it in that position.

Posted on: 4/18 18:47:11

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
Predictor Show Car
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.