Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 110 Differential
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a 1940 110 differential at my shop but it's tilted - that is, the surface where it attaches to the axle housing aims upward in relation to the input. None of my other 1940 110s had this tilt and as I recall my 1941 120A did not either. Does anyone know why the difference?

It seems that with the tilt, the body could be lower so was it a late model-year change? One of mine was indeed a late model but not sure if it's where this differential came from. It was pulled from the car back in the 1960s before it was even quite an antique but that doesn't mean that it hadn't been changed at some point so was that style used on a different year perhaps?

The axle housing was, of course, tilted to match so the driveshaft was still inline but lower at the rear.

Attach file:

jpeg  (82.92 KB)
60923_5cbcc963980ab.jpeg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2019/4/21 14:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 110 Differential
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, that's an "Angleset" differential, the design dates back to the late 1920s, long before the "110" was introduced. I wasn't aware that style of differential was still in production in 1940.

Posted on: 2019/4/21 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I pulled it out of the car myself, which was 1940 110 Sedan but it could have been changed at some point with an earlier one. Next time I'm at my shop, and if I can get at it, I'll check to see if there are any dates or casting numbers that might help.

Posted on: 2019/4/21 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Don, that picture really helps. I see what you are saying now and can visualize how the drive shaft would hook up to it. Not what I had perceived from your verbal description, (my fault) All I was saying when broaching the U-joint-angle issue was that in any flexible drive-link, where either the initial points of connection are not on the same plane, or through torque flexing, that angle changes, the 'at rest' chord line should be as fair as possible to alleviate undue torque and 'knuckling' wear on the universal joints. Chris

Posted on: 2019/4/21 15:29
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I had always seen these in the Packard section of my Motors manual but never seen one for real. My book covers 1935-49 cars. Not sure which years used it though. They show 2 made like this one for the 110 and 120 and the other for the senior Packard.

Posted on: 2019/4/21 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The last year for the angle set differential in the junior cars was 1937, so the complete unit must have been changed in your 1940 110

Posted on: 2019/4/21 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you to all! The help is appreciated.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 2:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved