Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

arcing brake shoes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
First time doing a brake job and wondering about arcing the shoes. I've read that the shoes should make contact at their center first, and then the shoe flexes to make full contact at both ends of the shoe. That tells me that the arc of the shoe results in a smaller circle than the drum.

When I hold one end of a new shoe against the drum, there is a resulting gap of .035-.040 at the other end of the shoe. Is that acceptable such that the shoe will wear in? I've read about a method of using sandpaper adhered to the inside of the drum and sanding the shoe accordingly. Don't want to try this unless I have to.

What do you guys think? Thanks, Mark

Posted on: 2019/4/28 17:57
 Top  Print 

Re: arcing brake shoes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps I'm wrong but it was never my understanding that on internal expanding brakes, the shoes were to stretch or bend (flex) to give the lining full contact. I was taught that you arc the lining to give 100% contact as a dry fit before assembly. And that's the way I've always done brake relining if drums were cut oversize.

PS - an alternative to arc grinding the lining is, if using riveted linings, use of a metallic shim between the shoe and the lining. Chrysler Corp. recommended this method for many years.

Posted on: 2019/4/28 18:51
 Top  Print 

Re: arcing brake shoes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks OD for sharing your knowledge. You know what they say about the internet.
Shoes are not riveted, so will have to arc them. Appreciate the help,
Mark

Posted on: 2019/4/28 19:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved