Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 84

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Booster and Master Cylinder
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
I had both the Master Cylinder and Booster rebuilt on my 53, it stops fine, however, my brake pedal does not return, and has to be pulled out manually (foot under pedal). Is their any quick solutions to resolve this matter?

Posted on: 2009/1/29 23:03
 Top  Print 

Re: Booster and Master Cylinder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assume you are talking power brakes when you say booster. There is only one large spring involved and that is inside the booster. Unless there is a binding of the pedal pivots or something like bunched up or tight carpet around the rod, you are going to have to have the booster opened to find out why spring is not pushing piston back.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.88 KB)
209_49828216ac4fe.jpg 744X455 px

Posted on: 2009/1/29 23:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
It is usually the leather seal that is too tight to let the spring retract the unit back. You will have to take the top cover off the booster unit and look at the leather outer seal. It may need lubricationg with mineral oil to let it move smoothly inside the canister.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 23:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
This about the third report of brake pedal return failure in the last month. What's going on here???

Posted on: 2009/1/30 6:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd certainly return it immediately to the rebuilder if you're sure the problem is not with the pedal and suspension for same, but I'd remove the pedal and pivot first and make sure it has free movement. Also I'd be curious who the rebuilder was. Some of the parts which might be needed in a rebuild are not in rebuild kits and generally only available from rebuilders who have these parts made for their own use. Forget about having a TreadleVac rebuilt by the brake shop around the corner, with something this important you should go to one of the well-established rebuilders like Ed Strain down in Fl.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 9:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
This about the third report of brake pedal return failure in the last month. What's going on here???

The Bendix Treadle Vac is a dangerous unit, need I say more? When will people learn this????

Posted on: 2009/1/30 14:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
You'll see from my posting on the AACA Packard forum, I too had a similar problem with no brake pedal return just last week. Initially the brakes failed until I got them pumped up and then they worked normally except the pedal no return. This unit, as all my units, was rebuilt by Ed back in 2003. Access to the unit in the floorboard and brake lines is such a pain (nuisance). It will be awhile before I can do anything with mine other than try to observe through the filler opening what be happening but that's very difficult to do.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 11:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Randy. WithOUT removing the unit just remove the 6ix screws from the cover of the master cylinder. Use a 1-1/8 socket directed exactly center of the bottom of the reservoir and remove the compensator valve for inspection and post a pic of it if u can't see what is wrong with it..

No need to drain or remove any brake fluid, just send the socket (CLEAN SOCKEt) down thru the fluid.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND removing the left fresh air duct for ez access. IIRC the left freshair duct is rather ez to remove and makes TV access easier..

Posted on: 2009/3/1 12:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing I'm curious about is the other cars which used this same unit. Anyone know whether any of those people have the same issues we seem to be having. If so, what were their solutions, and if not, why.

I would think logically with so many more of those cars built and still out there maybe they also have issues & maybe solutions or else there was something different with their systems.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 12:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've browsed the Mercury/Lincoln and some GM sections on the AACA forum, other cars that used the Bendix TreadleVac by the millions, and found nary a mention. Though I might have missed something, apparently as a generalization only Packard people have issues with this unit. Curious, isn't it.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 14:00
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved