Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 149 150 151 (152) 153 154 155 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 28th February 2015

Yesterday picked up a 60cm(24") tyre(tire) lever from SuperCheap Auto, thought it would do the trick in allowing me to lever the pulley and hub off the Coupe's crankshaft. Wrong! Today found that there's so much flex or spring in the tyre lever most of the force seemed to be spent elsewhere. But what to do to get the recalcitrant pulley off? Being at my daughters looked around for a "suitable" rigid lever and found one in the form of a fencing bar or crow bar I'd lent my son-in-law. Should get plenty of leverage with that! Sure did! By levering then bumping the starter motor with the button on the solenoid turning the crank a little at a time the pulley and hub soon started to move forward.

But when it came off I found out the true results of my brute force and ignorance approach, a broken hub! Too late now, so carried on to get the replacement pulley and balancer on the crankshaft snout. Before doing that though, compared the old and new pulleys to ensure they were the same. And they were, with the markings on both having the same offset for TDC and 6 degrees before TDC in relation to the keyway location as well as the shape and pulley size being right.

Then came the hard part, getting the pulley and balancer on. It's one thing getting it off but gravity, a heavy part held at arms length at full stretch into the depths of a '41 120 engine compartment, lying along a mudguard(fender), trying to lift it about 1/2" with one hand and slide it onto the crankshaft snout is another thing altogether! But I wasn't going to let it beat me, after all I'd watched Wade tackle these same awkward situations and come out on top many times. And what did he use to do that? Why perseverance, so that's what I applied! Many, many, many attempts later finally got it to start on the snout, what a relief. Then it was a matter of wriggling it until I felt the keyway engage with the key in the snout, good. A little more wriggling and some pushing and it started to slide on, but only went so far. Then couldn't get the retaining bolt and washers past the pulley to try and start the nut to push on the pulley and balancer. Couldn't use the fencing bar, just wasn't right for that job. But the tyre lever was. Again bumping the starter, and using the lever against the bottom of the radiator cradle got the pulley and balancer on far enough after many attempts to finally get the bolt to start. Pulled the pulley and balancer on the rest of the way using a socket and ratchet finished off with a length of pipe over a socket bar for reasonable leverage.
Then started the Coupe up, no troubles there with the pulley and balancer appearing to be rotating nicely. But....and it's a big BUT....I now had another problem. There was coolant leaking from the bottom of the radiator. Not much, but enough! Looks like the Coupe wont be going to the National Rally, I just don't have the facilities(my own garage yet) to be able to pull the front clip off to remove the radiator.
Anyone have a loan Packard I could use at the Rally?

As an aside, on my way home yesterday, dropped into see Andrew with the '40 160 parts I'd picked up last month. Also called into Camden County Customs to see TJ and catch up with what he was up to. One of the cars in his shop was a '53 Caddy which had been converted into a pickup or ute back in '53 from a brand new Caddy. The story is the new Caddy was in a warehouse in California when something fell on it crushing part of the roof. The guy who bought the wreck was a shipwright who welded up the rear doors, used the rear window and roof section for the back of the cabin and fabricated a wooden bed. TJ has made a complete new sheetmetal bed as well as fixing all the other body areas needing attention. Looks good, but no photos, although TJ may have some on the Facebook page.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.30 KB)
226_54f28ac8aa038.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (48.77 KB)
226_54f28b162bd89.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.79 KB)
226_54f28b8a27d9a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.09 KB)
226_54f28bf6b9f85.jpg 800X451 px

Posted on: 2015/2/28 23:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, quite a job. Success! Do you think the hub cracks were a result of the damper going bad over time? I would like to think so. Is the radiator removable without taking off the front clip? Recent posts talk about doing it this way on earlier cars. Thanks for the updates.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/1 13:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

The photo doesn't tell the whole story, the cracks are the result of my heavy handed levering.

I know the radiator can be removed and reinserted without removing the front clip, although it's a very tight squeeze! Wade and I did it back in 2008 when the radiator was pulled for inspection, testing and repair. However, the bonnet(hood) still needs to be removed along with the water pump and generator. Also, at that time, the mudguards(fenders) were off allowing us to stand on the frame rails, and even then it was still a difficult job. Some time this week I'll be taking the Coupe for a run to "test" the leak, maybe there's still a chance it'll get to the Rally?

Posted on: 2015/3/1 14:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 3rd March 2015

My fears of doom about the radiator leak may be just that, fears. Hooked up the pulley, fan, generator and fan belt, and in getting the fan back on, didn't drop a bolt or washer. A first for me in that situation! After hooking things up drove the Coupe out of the garage then topped up the radiator, only took about a litre/quart. Let it idle for some minutes until up to operating temperature then off on what was a scenic 60km drive from Fitzroy Falls to Robertson and Moss Vale then back to Fitzroy Falls. Mildly hilly country with the air temp about 22C. The temp gauge stayed just below or just on the halfway mark all through the trip and only started to rise after idling for about 10 minutes at journeys end. I'm thinking I could be taking the Coupe to the Rally now, but with one eye firmly on the temp gauge. Will give it a sterner test in the next week or so.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.63 KB)
226_54f51dec0b295.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.20 KB)
226_54f51e3c6e15e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/3/2 21:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, the garage gods are smiling upon you for a change. Nice feeling isn't it?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/2 23:00
We move toward
And make happen

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Yes, a very nice feeling. I've been very lucky with the Coupe so far, since getting it on the road at the start of 2009. Although there have been things "happen", nothing that has been a major drama has occurred. I hope it continues that way!

Posted on: 2015/3/3 0:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sunday 15th March 2015

A week before the 16th National Packard Rally and the last meeting of the Rally Committee. Took the Coupe to the meeting, and it's about 80 miles each way from where it's garaged, and it went well. Ran smoothly and temp gauge stayed on the middle mark all the way, 'cause it was only about 20-22C so ambient heat wasn't a factor. One thing found is that there's now an oil leak, probably from the timing case seal, this no doubt from my heavy handedness.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.35 KB)
226_5505fb77e4f3f.jpg 373X512 px

Posted on: 2015/3/15 16:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Mal, what does the red hexagon mean?

Posted on: 2015/3/15 19:29
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 21st May 2015

I drop into the old workshop every couple of weeks going to, or from, donating blood plasma. There's a quick catch up with John, Rick, Matt and Graham but more importantly a chance to pass on to Misty some lamb chop and leg bones. Looks like she needs them too, she's become almost Greyhound like in physique, being only about half the dog she was! Of course it didn't help that both Wade and I, and from time to time Noel, were keeping up a good supply of bones. Be that as it may, I also dropped in today, not being a plasma day, because my schedule in babysitting my youngest grandson Ryan(who came along and was more interested in Misty than any cars) coincided with Wade's for once. Wade had come down yesterday and was there today because a Packard Club member GeoffC was picking up the workshop trailer. Geoff lives about 145kms south of Sydney and will be loading up his poorly running '39 TJ Richards bodied 110 Touring Sedan to take up to Wade's, about 110 kms north of Sydney next week. Wade has had Geoff's TJR on his list to be worked on, for probably a couple years, and finally it will come to pass. Attached are photos of Geoff's '39 at a car show last weekend, another members '34 1100 Sedan and also a car you don't see every day!

And speaking of sheds, my garage(8.4m x 5m) and carport(6m x 3.6m) is getting close to completion, photos attached. In a couple of weeks time I hope to have the Coupe "in residence". When that happens it'll have the front clip off to 1) Attend to a now major oil leak, attributable I think from my heavy handed harmonic balancer replacement a couple of months back. I think I've upset the crankshaft oil seal placement or maybe kinked the timing case where it seals, 2) take out the radiator and have the minor leak attended to before it becomes a major one, and 3) Take off the water pump and pull the distribution tube for inspection and cleaning.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.99 KB)
226_555e6bc65f4cd.jpg 640X484 px

jpg  (60.13 KB)
226_555e6bd493883.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (61.98 KB)
226_555e6be33c9ae.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.54 KB)
226_555e6ec4360b4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (54.88 KB)
226_555e6ed3335b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (53.20 KB)
226_555e6f183a9d8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (60.74 KB)
226_555e7032bc8c1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.82 KB)
226_555e707ac0d0c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/5/21 19:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, you are really going to enjoy that new shed and car port. Very nice!

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/5/21 22:05
We move toward
And make happen

« 1 ... 149 150 151 (152) 153 154 155 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved