Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 179

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 155 156 157 (158) 159 160 161 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, especially our US friends at info.com, without whom we would be just "another orphan" car owners. We have a lot of fun with our Packards Down Under. We get some great visits from friends such as The Flackmaster who get involved in keeping our small Packard population in a huge continent on the road. We would be privileged to help entertain any Packard info people wanting to visit Down Under. By way of example...here is a fun time I had with a 38 120 Richards at the local Driver Training skid pan. I got into trouble with the Packard as you are apparently NOT supposed to overtake people ( especially Turbo Subaru's )on the skid pan. I would recommend a skid pan day to anyone as great entertainment. PT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWQcIfGemc

Posted on: 2015/9/5 1:54
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
As Steve Martin says: "I'm a wild and crazy guy!"

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/5 15:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 7th September 2015

Peter Packard, together with his better half Ann, delivered the timing case cover to Bowral from Canberra just in the manner it should be, in the ex Lionel Barrymore '38 Twelve! They are on their way north to the Gold Coast in Southern Queensland, stopping overnight in Sydney staying with Noel before resuming the journey north on Tuesday. Also onboard the Twelve were a number of parts Peter's chromer has done for Noel's Coupe. It was only a pitstop today with, seemingly, a cup of coffee sufficing as payment for the timing case cover!

Attach file:

jpg  (45.59 KB)
226_55ed388af015c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.76 KB)
226_55ed389774610.jpg 912X134 px

jpg  (40.65 KB)
226_55ed38d75d86e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/9/7 2:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sunday 13th September 2015

Supposed to be on the Packard run to Bathurst but a dose of the flu undid those plans. Instead, since Peter and Ann delivered the timing cover last Monday, have done very little until this afternoon. Even now it was only some preliminary work, first putting the engine mount back on the front of the engine. Then jacking the front of the chassis up and putting jack stands under it. Then draining the oil from the sump(pan). All that in preparation for removing the sump later this week and cleaning it, the oil pump pickup and the interior of the engine of metallic particles. Because I didn't go to Bathurst also didn't get to pick up the new sump gasket from Wade. Instead, Noel will bring it back with him and I'll probably pick it up from Noel Wednesday the 23rd.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.66 KB)
226_55f5028b5122c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.77 KB)
226_55f5029d97684.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.19 KB)
226_55f502c7648dc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/9/13 0:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 24th September 2015

Not much to report other than yesterday I picked up the bag of brochures from Larry51's Bathurst weekend and the ex-Wade new sump and timing case gaskets, all from Noel. Included with the gasket were some little "somethings" to help me and which I didn't think I'd see again - a pair of knives I used at the workshop for scraping but had given to Wade when he moved north!
Wade!

Although the oil is drained I haven't removed the sump(pan) yet. Been distracted making and erecting a gate between the garage and the house and relocating another gate to fill the gap between the other side of the garage and the fence down that side of the property. Have to provide a grandchildren safe play area. But I can't see why. Can't they play in the street? After all, we did as kids! Once the enclosing is finished it'll be back to the Coupe.

One thing I did see today, on returning home from the local Bunnings(big box hardware store), were a pair of '20's Rolls Royces. Stopped and took a couple of photos as they passed then found they were driving down my street to the Bradman Museum & International Cricket Hall of Fame just around the corner. There I found 5 more R-R's, with another arriving a little later. See this album for photo's.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.27 KB)
226_56037435a9a28.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.15 KB)
226_560375036727b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.65 KB)
226_560375160e149.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (60.54 KB)
226_56037565723fc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/9/23 23:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...There I found 5 more R-R's, with another arriving a little later. See this album for photo's.

Enjoyed the RR pics as well as your comments.

Click to see original Image in a new window

The usage of widescreen format in association with special knives and short Packard chase scenes fuel hopes that you will come up soon with a movie.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2015/9/28 22:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 1st October 2015

Some progress at last! Cleaned up the timing case cover, but it still needs paint. Removed sump(pan) from Coupe. Fair amount of metal particles in the front part of the sump with some in the lower section as well. I'm hoping the particles in the lower section were washed down there by my kerosene flushes after the timing case came off and the oil was drained. This old body had a hard time under the Coupe just getting to the bolts that needed undoing, including the bellhousing bottom. Not looking forward to putting that big and heavy cast piece back on! Have cleaned up the sealing surface of the sump but will have to straighten parts of it which bent in removal, it was stuck on pretty tight. Have also removed the oil pickup, have left it to drain overnight, and will clean that up as well. With school holidays we get the grandkids tomorrow so I won't get back to the Coupe until Saturday. Then, I'll spray brake cleaner like crazy inside the block to remove any stray particles. I'll also, much more carefully, clean the timing chain, gears and vicinity where the trouble came from.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.45 KB)
226_560d00356ad68.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.94 KB)
226_560d005fe2a87.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.57 KB)
226_560d00a12f52c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.90 KB)
226_560d00d162793.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.98 KB)
226_560d00f8003a9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/10/1 4:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 3rd October 2015

Started off by painting the timing case with POR 15. Then it was under the engine to clean the lower face of the block for when the sump(pan) goes back on. Used a nylon scouring pad to remove the last of the gasket and gasket cement along with a scraper for any intransigent spots then finished off with spray-on brake cleaner and a clean rag. Turned then to timing chain area to clean up the metal particle mess in that area. Initially this entailed a really plentiful spraying of brake cleaner over the exposed timing gears and chain. Then it was on to a repetitive serious of sprayings of the links between the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket. After each length of links was very liberally sprayed/doused in brake cleaner the crank was turned over by putting the harmonic balancer on and tightening the nut until the crank was able to be turned. Each time this was done about 6 to 8 links were moved the balancer taken off and copious spraying undertaken. No idea how many times the balancer went on and off or how many crankshaft rotations were made but, suffice to say, I'm now very well practiced in harmonic balancer removal and installation. I do know one measurement which may or may not be relevant to others who may find themselves in a similar situation - it took over 2 full cans of aerosol brake cleaner to do the job. Also sprayed the forward section of the crankcase even though from observation there didn't appear to be any metal particles in residence.

Will get back to the job on Monday because this afternoon the AFL Grand Final is being played. Kinda like the NFL Super Bowl but playing "Aussie Rules" football. While tomorrow the NRL Grand Final is played, another Super Bowl type event but this time for Rugby League football. For those who have heard of Jarryd Hayne this is the type of football he played before going to the NFL this year

Attach file:

jpg  (40.22 KB)
226_560f5d37c504f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.41 KB)
226_560f5d6615311.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/10/2 23:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 6th October 2015

Attended to the freshly POR painted timing case cover which required some cleaning of the gasket surfaces where paint had seeped through the bolt holes. Then finished cleaning the sump(pan) inside and out and flattened the sump edges requiring that treatment. But....it was one step forward and two back! Took out the sump gasket Wade had sent down, a two piece FEL-PRO. But....a 1" piece broke off the rear of one side. Not to worry, that didn't seem too bad, sure it could be made to work with careful fitment. But....that wasn't all, in laying the pieces out on the sump, another piece broke off this time from the front of the other side! That piece is also warped, with a big bow in it along it's length. I could also see another part tear in the first piece. And, you all know as we grow older we shrink? Well so had the gaskets, they were both about 1&1/2" shorter than required? What to do? Why, it was off to the parts store for a sheet of gasket cork. Good idea but with their sheets of cork only in 400mm lengths and the sides of the FEL-PRO 2 piece gasket(if it was de-shrunk, is that a word?) were each about 915mm long so that wasn't going to work. Didn't have any thick paper gasket material either. Next thought was RTV, which they did have, but before resorting to that rang my Packard mentor Wade. Explained my predicament and was advised he "may" have another sump gasket but would have to look for it. When Wade called back shortly thereafter it was to advise that he had the "remains" of 2 sump gaskets from 4 piece gasket sets BUT he only had 3 of the pieces. Missing was the front piece which I could probably cobble up from the remains of the shrunken gaskets I had. Wade did mention that shrunken gaskets can often be brought back to size by immersion in hot water. With the FEL-PRO gaskets breaking apart, although it appears their use by date is well past, for the pieces I'll be using a nice hot bath and careful massaging may be enough to rejuvenate them. And, most fortuitously, Wade is coming down to Sydney tomorrow for an appointment. I too will be in Sydney for a blood plasma donation and, although I doubt our paths will physically cross, the workshop will be a common point for both of us to deposit and pick up gasket pieces!

Attach file:

jpg  (34.26 KB)
226_5613229f20698.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.55 KB)
226_5613230773b54.jpg 800X493 px

jpg  (29.96 KB)
226_561323495aea3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.18 KB)
226_561323aca6921.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.92 KB)
226_56132491b27cd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/10/5 20:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Mal; Sorry to hear of the gasket problems, as you have learned the hard way it is always best to soak old cork gaskets.

Posted on: 2015/10/5 21:10

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan

« 1 ... 155 156 157 (158) 159 160 161 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved