Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

Packard Newbie, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 45 46 47 (48) 49 50 51 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 11th May 2010

Another later start at the workshop, shouldn't be repeated tomorrow otherwise Wade will ask me for a note. A $50 note, that is! On his way in this morning in Big Red, Wade had called into the locksmith but because of work pressures he wasn't able to look at her. But Big Red is now booked in for Thursday morning 10:00am to undergo treatment for it's broken right front door lock.

At the workshop I had found Wade down on his hands and knees. No, he wasn't praying to the Packard Gods although I wouldn't be surprised if he had been doing that. But looking for a tiny ball which had popped out of the '39's headlight switch when he was dis-assembling it. I joined the search, but to no avail, and then used a soft broom to gently sweep the drop zone. That didn't appear to work either until Wade noticed in his sweeping the pile of dust, dirt and particles I had collected, into a hand pan, did in fact contain the errant ball! Sorry, in the excitement, forget to take a pic of this momentous occasion.

While I was tidying up the engine parts painted yesterday Wade continued his dis-assembly and clean up of the headlight switch. I then manouveured the engine crane between the '39 and '41, just making it, and positioned it near the '41's engine. About this time Noel and Tony arrived. Tony to continue his fix of the right front window of the '39 and Noel to clean up the engine and engine compartment of his '39. Didn't need this before, but the effects of the wiring fire and the extinguisher used left it in a somewhat disheveled state rather than the show condition it was in previously. And Noel came in handy too when we were using the engine crane to right the '41's engine from laying on its side to being upright. Another set of hands is always useful in those types of circumstances. Only trouble was those extra set of hands also insisted in using my camera to turn the tables on this "Packardrazzi". You'll see the results below as I'm on the other end of the camera for a change. I think Noel's term of "Packardrazzi" is probably a good term to describe me when around Packards and Packard people and events.

Engine upright, cleaned up the new welch plugs and block plug holes and with a liberal application of sealer drove the three new plugs into the block. Then under Wade's supervision mounted the harmonic balancer. Next was re-mounting the re-built oil pump. This was a lot more Wade than me with the distributor also involved and #1 piston @ TDC. Had to ensure the driving slot for the distributor was correctly aligned in the drive at the top of the oil pump drive. It's complicated a bit in that in inserting the oil pump because the gear drive, when meshing with the gear on the camshaft, turns about 45 degrees as it goes in. So a little bit of lead in on the oil pump gear compared to the distributor drive is required in inserting the oil pump in the block. First go was a "trial run" which was out by about a tooth, so after the necessary adjustment in lead in, the second attempt worked and aligned perfectly. Out with the oil pump again, very very carefully keeping everything set up, a coating of gasket sealer on surfaces and gaskets, and very very carefully re-inserting the oil pump. And it worked, again, distributor was still aligned on #1!

Noel and Tony had bid their farewells a little earlier and I then turned to cleaning up the block prior to painting it. Partway through this process, PackardInfo member, Snapey arrived. Matt was returning Wade's copy of Robert Neal's book Packards at Speed and to again look at the '34 chassis for which he has visions of creating a Packard speedster/racer from, see this post. Having finished cleaning the '41's block I realised I should be cleaning and preparing the head for painting too. Started on this then found the spark plug recesses had a fair amount of built up paint/dirt/rust which needed cleaning out. Scraped some out but needed a small diameter hand drill mounted wire brush head to effectively give a good clean surface. And surprise, for once Wade didn't have one of these in his box of tricks! Had to drive up to the local hardware store and buy one. Well Wade, you've got one now! And while I was out, Matt pitched in and cleaned most of the top of the head with a hand wire brush,
Matt!

Attach file:

jpg  (31.78 KB)
226_4be934dea63ae.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.53 KB)
226_4be934eca8da9.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (35.93 KB)
226_4be9350ca75db.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.09 KB)
226_4be9351d3746f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.04 KB)
226_4be9353708e48.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (32.18 KB)
226_4be9355089f95.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.11 KB)
226_4be935610fb59.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.88 KB)
226_4be9358272b02.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.66 KB)
226_4be9358fc624c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.84 KB)
226_4be9359c658d7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/11 5:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 12th May 2010

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Tuesday 11th May 2010 Another later start at the workshop, shouldn't be repeated tomorrow otherwise Wade will ask me for a note. A $50 note, that is!......
Promises, promises! Didn't keep my end of the bargain, a flimsy excuse about the granddaughters coming over unexpectedly, and no note!

Wade was under the '39 when I finally arrived, continuing the re-wiring work. First up for me was filing the heater inlet pipe flat where it screws into the head between #5 and #6 cylinders. It was snapped off during the machining and only noticed late yesterday afternoon. Filing it flat was to remove any edges which might catch when carefully drilling the broken off portion out. Drilled OK but still couldn't get the remainder out so will take up the running again tomorrow morning. After that re-cleaned the head and parts of the block. mixed up some Packard green paint and hardener and brushed it on the block and head. Thought I'd done a pretty good job until I borrowed the shop light and discovered there was almost more left unpainted than painted! But fixed it all up light in one hand, brush in the other and now it DOES look OK. Or as Wade said "at least it'll look good even if it doesn't go." Not too sure those are the sentiments I wanted to hear.

Wade meanwhile continued with the '39's re-wiring and I was pressed into service on a couple of occasions to hold things where three or more hands were required. Wade ended up re-building the original light switch as the other three available, two from PeterL and another from Noel, were more or less in the same condition. The main harness is now in place and I left Wade to get on his back again to go up under the dash to start re-connecting instruments. And on the way home dropped in to see Stan, the machining man, about borrowing a BSP-T tap to re-cut the heater pipe thread in the head. Took a sample threaded plug from another head with me but Stan tells me it's NOT BSP-T, but among the hundreds if not thousands of taps he has he will have what we want. And he's going to drop it in at the workshop at 10:00am tomorrow so I'd better be there for that because that's the time Wade sees the locksmith about Big Red's right front door lock problem.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.14 KB)
226_4bea6f47ea46c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (60.27 KB)
226_4bea6f578b5e0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (59.81 KB)
226_4bea6f6658453.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.57 KB)
226_4bea6f74183b8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.71 KB)
226_4bea6f8f283d3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.16 KB)
226_4bea6f9e9caff.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.10 KB)
226_4bea6fab57869.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.38 KB)
226_4bea7193c9b24.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/12 4:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 13th May 2010

With Wade going to the locksmiths with Big Red on the way in this morning I finally managed to arrive early. In the process of cleaning some surfaces up I had the S#!T scared out of me when Stan arrived. I was so engrossed in what I was doing I didn't hear him until he almost whispered in my ear! True to his word Stan delivered the required tap, not just a taper but a straighter cut one as well. Finished my cleaning, block surface of manifolds, fuel pump, oil filter housing and lines, thermostat housing mounting on head gasket surface and more when Wade arrived. The visit to the locksmith turned out to be a failure, he still couldn't get the lock opened. So now Wade is going to take off the outside cover and very gently and carefully drill out the lock itself.

But for the moment we turned to the '41's head. With the right taps now at hand started with the taper tap but because it was so tapered couldn't get it to "bite". However using the straighter tap it bit and cleared the remnants of the old heater pipe fitting without any dramas. Then we looked at re-uniting the intake/exhaust manifolds with the block. But in checking with a straight edge there were some gaps, small but still a concern, for the intake flanges compared to the exhaust flanges. Rather than have the unit surfaced again, it was done back in 2008 when we pulled the manifold assembly off previously and there's not much metal left to again surface it, it was decided to split the manifold and reposition the two pieces. That was OK except I snapped one of the bolts in doing that. And another of the bolts could only be loosened using a 13mm ring spanner even though they are supposed to be 9/16"! However what we found after they were split was there wasn't a gasket where the two manifolds join at the hot box and there was a leak at that point!

By this time I had to leave for some grandfatherly baby sitting duties in the afternoon but on the way home ran a few Packard errands. First of which was going to Pirtek, a hydraulics business, for fittings for Wade and myself. Only problem was they'd moved about 5 weeks ago and although I'm lost at the best of times I was pretty sure I knew where they were located. Fortunately there was a notice on the door saying they are now at 7 Euston St Rydalmere, almost just around the corner, Wade please take note! next stop was Lee Bros, nuts and bolts, for some replacement bolts for re-joining the manifolds.

And Wade tells me he and Snapey have reached a deal on the '34 Chassis part of which is that Matt is going to build Wade a stand to hold the engine and trans which are not part of the deal. Matt is getting the rolling frame less the engine and trans as the basis for his project. And from what he was saying earlier in the week this should be one exciting Speedster when it is finished. Congratulations Matt, please keep us informed as the Speedster comes together.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.71 KB)
226_4bebdebd34fc3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (24.61 KB)
226_4bebded5ae92d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.05 KB)
226_4bebdee90179a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (21.62 KB)
226_4bebdefadc6d3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (46.98 KB)
226_4bebdf3e9cafe.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.04 KB)
226_4bebdf5db5d99.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.54 KB)
226_4bebdf6ada776.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.23 KB)
226_4bebdf78a6f73.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.99 KB)
226_4bebdf8893200.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.52 KB)
226_4bebdf9cd9a31.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.07 KB)
226_4bebe15aacc87.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/13 6:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Thank you for the words of support Mal - and also thanks to Wade for parting with the 34. If I thought the negotiations were difficult, they were nothing compared to telling the other half about it. My darling wife is very understanding and tolerant of my 'hobbies', but she has laid down a few stipulations on the 34 coming to live with us. Namely my new shed, that will house the beast, is to be finished and our little off-road hybrid pop-top caravan (which we have just purchased a larger replacement for) is to be tidied up ready for sale before I pick up the new toy. We have already organised the schedule for these events to occur and we won't be approving any new weekend leave passes until it all happens.

I am thinking that now would be a good time to join the Packard Club...

Posted on: 2010/5/13 17:08

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Snapey wrote:.....I am thinking that now would be a good time to join the Packard Club...

Matt,

I second the motion! We'll be happy to have you on board. Send me a PM with your Email address and I'll email the Membership Secretary DavidM, who is also a member here, and he'll forward you the necessary information.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 17:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 14th May 2010

Arrived at the workshop to find that Ted and Brian from the Morris Minor Picnic Club had arrived just before me. Wade had proposed that, for the 1st June Oasis Run, the group meet at the workshop, have morning tea, view the Packards, talk cars, tell some lies, before continuing to the lunch venue at Woolwich Pier. Ted and Brian were there as an advance party to "inspect the premises and facilities", probably failed all OH&S requirements and definitely the white glove test, but from the gleam in their eyes and the fact they stayed for over an hour means all is OK. In order to provide morning tea for the numbers envisaged Wade asked if either of the guys had a hot water urn or access to one and Ted did, so I'll pick that up on Monday. The urn will serve double duty, besides being used on 1st of June it will be used next Friday 21st May when PackardInfo member Tas, Phil and his wife Marjory, visit the workshop before continuing up to the Vintage Motor Garage on the Central Coast where their '26 Limo is under restoration. Any PACA or PackardInfo members in the workshop vicinity at 10:30am on Friday May the 21st please feel free to drop in and meet and greet Phil and Marjory.

After Ted and Brian left, it was into '41 stuff for me while Wade continued with the '39's re-wiring. Cleaned up the head surface where paint had run down inside the stud holes. Then turned the head back over and installed the new heater pipe fitting into the now cleared threaded hole. First thing this morning Wade had been able to get the broken bolt out of the inlet manifold. Yesterday it had been liberally sprayed with penetrant and the end hammered to help break the seal between bolt and manifold. After I left yesterday, Wade continued this treatment whenever he passed the offending article so it had received a liberal pre-treatment by the time it was attended to this morning. Wade tells me the stud remover didn't work because there wasn't enough of the shank of the bolt for it to grip so resorted to using John's extra large multigrips which did the trick. Next I cleaned out the bolt holes in the inlet manifold, done with the requisite tap, so the new bolts fitted easily. It's hard enough to get these things together without fighting stubborn threads as well! Cleaned up the hot box in the intake manifold, and was there ever a lot of compacted carbon it there! Also cleaned up the hot box face of the exhaust manifold. Because of the couple of times recently that Wade has found holes blown through hot boxes a "leak test" was also conducted. The "leak test" was very simple, inverting the manifold then filling the hot box with water and leaving it to sit for about 1/2 an hour. And......no leaks! Bolted both manifolds to the block and also bolted them snugly together and checked for fit to the block surface and......no gaps. But by this time Rick and John were getting anxious to go to lunch, as evidenced by lights being turned off and the roller door being closed. Taking the hint we downed tools, leaving things as they were, but with a quick tidy up and will again pick up the running next week. I did mention that Wade's still working on the '39's re-wiring, didn't I? Well the re-wiring work is still progressing, but with Wade's assistance to me required on an irregular and sometimes constant basis, it is somewhat slow, but it is getting closer to completion you'll be pleased to know Noel.

PS - Wade and I have joined OASIS, membership is just $2.00, see copy of receipt below.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.24 KB)
226_4becdf268b4b0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.14 KB)
226_4bece31c777a2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.20 KB)
226_4bece329b196c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.30 KB)
226_4bece35478ba0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.98 KB)
226_4bece36c54a78.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.36 KB)
226_4bece37cc52b8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.85 KB)
226_4bece39d1bd1a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.72 KB)
226_4bece3b9d4ad6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.74 KB)
226_4bece6c04ab78.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/14 1:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 17th May 2010

Didn't go to the workshop today because Wade had an appointment elsewhere. Instead picked up the hot water urn from Ted who visited us last Friday. Saw Ted's recent acquisition when picking up the urn, a Peugeot 404 Station Wagon, which had been re-built for and completed the l'aventure 2007.

From there is was over to see Harvey who's putting the re-built engine back into Vince's '39 120 Convertible Coupe. Yesterday our Packard club had participated in a run and in convoying from one point to the next Harvey got lost due to that most insidious of convoy wreckers, traffic lights. And where did Harvey end up? Why in Packard Avenue, not that helped him in the slightest. Last night I used Harveys misfortune as a theme in the report I wrote about the run for our club magazine. Little did I know I'd get my come-uppance for casting Harvey in that light, even though it was meant as good light-hearted fun! But I did, got lost trying to find Vince's house where Harvey was working on the '39. I've been there at least three times before but this time I came from the opposite direction and although I was in the vicinity couldn't find the house. A phonecall to Harvey and I discovered I was literally just around the corner from where I needed to be!

Reason I was at Vince's to help Harvey with the engine re-install? Answer, last week Harvey had put the engine back in with Vince's help but had forgotten to bolt the clutch fork back inside the bellhousing before the doing so. Probably the fact that Vince was there added to the pressure of the situation resulting in this "little" oversight. Be that as it may, Vince is away this week so Harvey needed a hand with the engine. Harvey also enlisted the services of his mate Ross as three are better than two, plus Ross is also a GENUINE OLD TIME MECHANIC! Just as well, Ross and his know how and experience proved invaluable. First to get the clutch properly aligned, then under the '39 guiding the engine in and positioning the clutch throw-out bearing, finally to get everything bolted back up.
Ross!

Attach file:

jpg  (18.21 KB)
226_4bf0efca47a2f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.61 KB)
226_4bf0efd94f904.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.89 KB)
226_4bf0efe3c7a5d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.58 KB)
226_4bf0effed7f34.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.61 KB)
226_4bf0f009e8362.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.42 KB)
226_4bf0f0257baf2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.12 KB)
226_4bf0f03373e4e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.56 KB)
226_4bf0f0572dc5d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.22 KB)
226_4bf0f06629e62.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.77 KB)
226_4bf0f0878dd79.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.33 KB)
226_4bf0f0946911f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.55 KB)
226_4bf0f0b154ff2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.77 KB)
226_4bf0f0bcd78d1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.64 KB)
226_4bf0f0ce50320.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.52 KB)
226_4bf0f0dc6bf58.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/17 2:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 18th May 2010

First up this morning was going round to Repco, local auto parts store, and picking up a tube of Stag Jointing Paste in preparation for re-assembling and re-installing the intake and exhaust manifolds. The Stag was used to coat the gasket surfaces to obtain a leak free joint. For this I did all the "dirty" work in the form of applying the Stag by hand, actually by finger, to the gaskets. First for the intake/exhaust heat box joint, which was loosely tightened by Wade while I went onto the inlet/exhaust manifold gasket surfaces with the substance being liberally applied. The manifold assembly was then bolted and tightened to the block, followed by tightening the hot box joint bolts. Now, it's hard enough to access the nuts onto and off the manifold studs while the engine is out of the car, it must be almost impossible when the engine is in situ. That done the fuel pump and fuel pump heat shield were re-united with the engine. Fortunately Harvey had returned the heat shield on Sunday on our Packard club run.

Next we turned to the transmission and overdrive unit which has been sitting on the shop floor since early December. During that time I'd cleaned the unit up externally. While at one stage Wade kicked it over and because the top was off precipitated an oil spill, not of the same magnitude as that currently being experienced in the Gulf of Mexico, but impressive for what it was. The trans won't be pulled apart as it was functioning well, with no noises when pulled from the '41. One of the dramas with the unit is oil leaks. These are being addressed by installing a new front gasket and a new rear seal for the O/D. With the Solenoid and Governor mountings still to be addressed also being a source of leaks. Fortunately there don't appear to be any leaks between the trans and the O/D so the unit doesn't need to be split apart. Last task, because I had to leave early for granddaughter sitting duties, was remounting the the trans and O/D unit to the engine. But before doing that the engines direction on its table needed to be reversed. Fortunately this was easy, still being attached to the engine crane, so up a bit, remove the wooden blocks its standing on, rotate 180 degrees, then lower back onto the re-positioned blocks. Next was the struggle to remount the trans to the bellhousing. And for this Wade enlisted Graham's muscle. While Wade positioned the throw out bearing Graham and I lifted the trans from the bench and tried to position and line it up. Failed on the first two attempts then third time lucky! Slid into the throw out bearing easily then, with Wade manipulating the u-joint, the spigot shaft engaged the clutch plate and through to the spigot bearing followed by bolting the unit to the bellhousing.

Left for home after that but no sooner was I through the door then Wade was on the phone advising that the Penrite running in oil and motor oil, we'd talked about earlier in the day, and he was ordering for me couldn't be delivered because the guy was on vacation. But......if I could get over to Wetherill Park tomorrow I'd be able to pick it up. And of course I will, so tomorrow that is my assigned Packard task.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.11 KB)
226_4bf26d6deb1cc.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.24 KB)
226_4bf26d89488dc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.80 KB)
226_4bf26db7d99c0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.24 KB)
226_4bf26dd70eb4d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.40 KB)
226_4bf26de6a67c9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.66 KB)
226_4bf26e0ee42c0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (76.13 KB)
226_4bf26e1f50e16.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (53.52 KB)
226_4bf26e35e1d28.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.27 KB)
226_4bf26e525dd89.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.47 KB)
226_4bf26e721a4c7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.26 KB)
226_4bf26e8d40afe.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.41 KB)
226_4bf26e9a6453d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.21 KB)
226_4bf26eb9c8871.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.86 KB)
226_4bf26ecc0fb26.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/18 5:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 20th May 2010

Arrived at the workshop to find Wade under Noel's '39 "playing" with the wiring. He's done quite a bit of that lately. First thing was decanting the 2 x 5 litre containers of Penrite Running In Oil into the 20 litre drum equipped with a spigot for later transfer into the '41 next week. Also re-positioned the 20 litre drum of Penrite HPR30 20W-60 to be used after the running in period and for subsequent oil changes. I'd dropped the oil in yesterday after I picked it up from Wetherill Park. In moving the oil off the bench saw something I didn't notice yesterday, a Packard heater for Noel's '39. Wade's going to mount and plumb it for him which also necessitates moving the radio speaker.

Then onto the trans OD unit. First tightened all the mounting bolts. And now it's mounted on the engine it's readily accessible for cleaning and painting so that's what I did while Wade continued under the '39. Although I'd previously cleaned it, it was now apparent that some of the nooks and crannies had been missed while at ground level. That done, brushed Packard Green on to the trans and OD, also gave the head another coat and also the oil filler/breather tube and later the front engine mount. Then checked my brushwork on the trans and OD with the aid of the workshop light. Well, it was only half done! I know the light is generally not good in the workshop and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be but this was ridiculous. So light in one hand, brush in the other, much of the unit received much more than just a touch up! At the end looks OK so that's the main thing.

Painting done, gave Wade a hand under the '39 where he was soldering "bullets" back on some of the wires. Between our four hands, Wades with solder in one and bullet on longnose pliers in the other, and mine with torch in one and soldering iron in the other, managed to do the 6 bullets required. Only thing needing to complete the wiring now is running wires for, and connecting the front blinkers. Noel, it may even be working when you come over tomorrow morning for Tas's visit! And Harvey phoned, hopes to make it tomorrow too, depending on some other commitments. Appin says he'll try and make it while the editor of our club magazine, Jeff, will definitely be there and Vice-President Big Bad Barry has also indicated he'll try and make it in his "Stackard". Treasurer Russpackaus gave some flimsy excuse for not attending of, and I quote, "I would love to catch up but I am in Singapore stretching the business muscles". Similar excuse from DavidM, you'd think that Packards would take priority over overseas trips wouldn't you? All that said, there probably won't be much work done tomorrow with the Packard socialising taking precedence.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.10 KB)
226_4bf4b1931950e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.99 KB)
226_4bf4b1a0e17bb.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.59 KB)
226_4bf4b1c0779d2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.64 KB)
226_4bf4b1d8e36c0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.64 KB)
226_4bf4b1f2d1cdf.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.15 KB)
226_4bf4b20233488.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.22 KB)
226_4bf4b217a36a5.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.38 KB)
226_4bf4b22743290.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.73 KB)
226_4bf4b29bedc41.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/19 22:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 21st May 2010

Before detailing todays workshop activities let me show you some excerpts from yesterdays Chatroom. Now before anybody starts yelling about privacy issues, the Chatroom is a Forum, where anything said can be accessed by all 2,310 PackardInfo members, that is until it clears either through transaction volume or time. I have only reproduced a small part of the conversations that were present when I clicked in and as they have special significance for me I believe I'm more than entitled to air them here.

39super8: DO NOT SAY SNUBBER HERE!

flackmaster: SNUBBER SNUBBER SNUBBER Mal is probably off editing the 1,712 photos taken of Wade drinking tea today.

Snubbers are a subject dear to my heart. The Flackmaster continues to tantalise me with tales of reproduction snubbers nearing completion but as they say, "I won't believe it until I see it"! I continue to live in hope that this project will come to fruition and is not just a cruel joke designed to torture an individual living in a land down-under.

As to Wade drinking cups of tea today, not likely. He's a coffee man through and through, the darker and stronger the better. If the spoon stands straight up in the cup it's almost strong enough!

As to photo's I'm sorry, I fell way short of expectations, only took 21 today!

39super8:......Mouton drank 4ounces. ......should I start a blog and post pics of each feeding?

flackmaster: Why not register Mouton in the owners registry, just be sure to include all known history (or herstory) serial numbers and how and when acquired.

Here we have another subject dear to my heart, the Packard Owner's Registry. I'm glad that PackardInfo members are thinking of this great and valuable resource and ways in which to promote it. But to include Mouton, which if memory serves me right is a cat, stretches it's boundaries too far even for this avowed advocate!

All that said, I'm braced and ready, fire at will Mal!

So onto todays workshop activities. As part of the welcome for Tas, Phil and wife Marjorie, organised tea, coffee, bikkies(cookies) and some crackers, ham and cheese as morning tea on their arrival. But before I even reached the workshop Noel phoned me to ask if I had a copy of the PACA Constitution which he's looking to review for the club. So, after dropping off the refreshments, backtracked home, found the Constitution then returned to the workshop. Apologies for not being able to attend today were advised by Jeff and Harvey because of late arising commitments. Soon after Phil and Marjorie arrived together with their Sydney friends Phil and Jennifer. I think they did this deliberately because I'm not good at remembering names and faces, but I'm not sure if it was to help(with common names) or hinder(trying to remember which Phil was which)! Also arriving about this time were Big Bad Barry and his wife Pam in their '35 and Noel in his Roller. Later Chris in his '62 Packard Hawk, Kevin & Barbara and Gina also joined the happy throng!

As I said earlier, a somewhat lacklustre day with the camera, only 21 pic's! But hosting an event and being a Packardrazzi are two separate and incompatible roles. Running around serving bikkies and fingerfood just doesn't leave a hand free for camera operation. And isn't the host supposed to make introductions, mingle with the guests, attending to all and sundry as well as the hundred or so other little things that crop up to ensure the event is successful? Having never taken on such a task before that it went as well as it did was a testament to the people in attendance who made it what it was in spite of the hosts shortcomings, lack of social graces and inexperience. Thank you all, and thanks too to John, Rick and Graham(without whom we wouldn't have had our group photo).

Plenty of Packard patter, with Phil seeing what was going on in the shop, taking notes, names and numbers. In fact he had to be prised away from the place, being deep in discussion or taking details until the last minute. Only the fact that they still had to get to the Vintage Motor Garage, on the Central Coast about 1 & 1/2 hours north before dark, in order to see his '26 333 Limo, finally broke him free. And an interesting tid-bit concerned Kevin's V12 Jaguar. Kevin tells me it's been there now for 2 years and 5 months, although I knew it had been some time, I didn't realise it was that long! Today Kevin was advised by John that it should be finished by the end of June. Apparently John said to Kevin "One day I'll phone you and you'll be very surprised when I do." to which Kevin responded, "Yes, I would be surprised". All this said, I hope, with a twinkle in the eyes.

After everyone departed there was actually some work done on the '41 engine. In fact yesterday Wade had mounted the upper and lower generator brackets but they still needed tightening. The lower one isn't so critical but the upper arm needs to be installed before the front engine mount is. And that was the next task, but where were the 2 bolts? Couldn't find them, but Wade came up with a couple of newies complete with washers. But these were not long enough, so back into his box of tricks, and two slightly longer bolts did the trick. The engine should now be ready to re-unite with the car on Monday. All the re-wiring work is now complete on Noel's '39, yesterday Wade had finished it off and tested it all. Now for the radio relocation and heater installation. And after all that finally went to lunch with Wade, John and Rick at the Wings restaurant at Eastwood Rugby Club. Have lived in the area on and off for 60 years but had never set foot inside it until today. In fact, 45-50 years ago, used to peddle past the place going to and from high school on my pushbike! And I've no fear of recommending it, after a great lunch of a Filet mignon steak, chips(US = fries) and vegetables all for AU$19.00, at current rates = US$16.00, it was delicious. I'll be going back for more!

Attach file:

jpg  (45.24 KB)
226_4bf657dbd72f3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.15 KB)
226_4bf657ed364b7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.49 KB)
226_4bf657f96cea8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.66 KB)
226_4bf65813a481e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.82 KB)
226_4bf6581f25437.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.79 KB)
226_4bf6583c78b04.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (40.28 KB)
226_4bf6585887782.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.70 KB)
226_4bf658a3047a8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.98 KB)
226_4bf658b27b900.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/21 4:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 45 46 47 (48) 49 50 51 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved