Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 116

37Blanche, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 61 62 63 (64) 65 66 67 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 22nd November 2010

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Thursday 11th November 2010.....Aim was to install the windscreen.......then it was the turn of the rubber. This proved a somewhat frustrating experience with, it must be said, after about 1/2 hour all of 1" installed! .....
That's where I'd left Wade before he travelled south a week and a half ago. And this morning that what I found him at, but with considerably more progress made. Aided by a can of talcum powder Wade had about 1/3 of the rubber installed around the edge of the windscreen. Still not easy but easier than before, with a few holes on each side of the windscreen proving the hardest places to get the rubber positioned. Once the re-rubbering of the windscreen frame was complete the windscreen could be installed in The Fossil. So, after a protective old quilt was laid on the '34's cowl, I held the windscreen in place while Wade screwed the long hinge to the top of the windscreen. Took a bit of fiddling to align holes and ensure the screws went in straight, it being very easy to cross-thread them.

During the re-rubbering exercise Harvey had arrived with a gift for Wade, a pair of '37 senior bumper over-riders, which need some attention but can be brought back to respectability. Harvey was also there to pick up the Packard Service Manual & Tool Catalog he'd lent me almost 12 months ago! At that time these posts ensued......
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Monday 30th November 2009.....At this point Harvey arrived with a couple of things for me and some for Wade. For me.....an old Packard Service Manual, titled Tool Catalog, which I'll have scanned and uploaded to the Site soon. Only problem is it's missing the first 12 pages......

Quote:
BigKev wrote: Mal, looking forward to seeing the tool catalog. It should be a nice companion to the KM Post War tool catalog.

Well it may now come to pass that I can get a scanned copy uploaded on the Site. First up was getting my scanner up and running, that only took about 9 months. Then there was the scanning, did 120+ pages at that time, now had to do the other 40+ this morning in a mild panic after Harvey rang to say he wanted to pick the book up today! All I have to do now is have my Tech Support Guy, #1 Son, guide me through that process. Also learned today that Harvey had owned Mat's '34 years ago and had sold it so he could buy "Elanor", the '34 Wade is now restoring. Over the years Harvey has had a lot of Packards.

Next task was a trip over to ABC Bearings to pick up the bearings for Old Blues diff rebuild, only trouble is there's still part of one coming. Plus the rear axle bearings are turning out to be very expensive, over $600 through ABC, or about $400 from a major US Packard parts vendor. Wade's still looking for an alternative and almost came up with one from ABC being Ford F250 rear axle bearings, same dimensions except for the shaft diameter being about 0.030" different, but at a cost of about $80 a pair much more affordable. Back at the workshop removed the remaining bearing from the diff hemisphere courtesy of a $4 puller Wade bought at the Bendigo swap, a brand new tool at a bargain price and it's more than paid for itself already! New bearings pressed onto the hemisphere, a bearing pressed onto the pinion shaft and then a cup fitted into the pumpkin, the other cup for the pumpkin is still coming. Robbed a '38 trans of it's fill and drain plugs for the pumpkin because the pumpkin's plugs were bashed and rounded off somewhat.

That done, turned to John's '39 Six. Wade had been doing some research on the column shift and had found that the linkages actually require some friction in the setup to ensure they work effectively, they are not to be lubed! See pic's from manual below. Because this is a RHD Packard it's hard to access the rods and linkages involved because of the proximity of the manifolds and exhaust pipe to them. But have disconnected both linkages from the steering column and removed one set of rods and levers. Wade is now mulling over the best way to address John's shifting problems and jumping out of gear.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.98 KB)
226_4cea43577b273.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.63 KB)
226_4cea436548824.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.90 KB)
226_4cea437188d62.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.96 KB)
226_4cea437e927a8.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.58 KB)
226_4cea438b6460f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.03 KB)
226_4cea441fa20a3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.77 KB)
226_4cea442b421af.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.18 KB)
226_4cea443ede694.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (39.96 KB)
226_4cea445279d15.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.28 KB)
226_4cea445cee732.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.04 KB)
226_4cea4472828cd.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (46.45 KB)
226_4cea4483ae8de.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.37 KB)
226_4cea44929cf9f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/22 5:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
That would have seen a sight for Harvey to see both the 34's he once owned together...

Attached is a pic of the 34 when Harvey owned the vehicle, Harvey sold it to Alan Maunsell only lives at Orage 1.5hr drive from where I live.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.67 KB)
24_4cea62b808c1e.jpg 514X524 px

Posted on: 2010/11/22 7:32

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 23rd November 2010

When I arrived at the workshop, in the '41(more of that later, in true confessions) Wade was under the '39 disconnecting the rods from the transmission 1st/reverse and 2nd/top actuating arms. He'd already taken out the seat, rolled back the carpet and removed the transmission inspection floor plate. Once the rods were off the actuating arms the top of the trans was removed for inspection purposes. Inspection encompassed both the transmission internals and the detent mechanism in the trans top. The transmission itself has a fair bit of movement in the synchro housing(I think that's what it is) as well as slop in 1st and 2nd gears. While the detent mechanism in the trans top also had a lot of movement. To fix the excessive movement/slop/wear in the trans would require the whole unit to be pulled from the car and the main shaft replaced, a rather costly exercise, so instead efforts were concentrated on the improving the trans top and after that the various rods and linkages.

During the process of taking the detent mechanism apart who should arrive but Noel. Wade had said earlier Noel was dropping in but couldn't remember why although that became apparent later. Noel had brought over his copies of the James Hollingsworth book "Packard 1940 A pivotal year" and a reprint of the boolet "Packard Accessories for 1941", and these I'll be reading in the very near future. Noel also suggested I scan the Accessories booklet and include it in the Literature and Manuals Section here on PackardInfo. While I'm all for that I didn't know whether the legalities of copyright still held for the reprint and demurred about doing it. For that I was taken to task by both Noel and Wade who voiced the view I'd never been shy about putting Packards things forward before. Maybe so, but my ramblings here are somewhat different from uploading literature. Not to worry according to Noel, he'll contact the guy who had a hand in the reprint to see if it would be acceptable to do so. If it is, I'll let you all know. And as Noel was leaving the real purpose of his visit became apparent. Noel was picking up Old Blue's original fuel tank which had been replaced by Wade with a custom made aluminium one when Wade got tired of the leaks in the original. Apparently Les is after another tank for his 120 Coupe and on a previous visit Wade had mentioned to Noel Les could have his old tank if he wanted it. And he did!

Once Noel had gone, continued on with the detent fix which involved another trans top's detent being examined then taken apart to determine whether the spacer, used in one side of the detent, was better than the one from John's '39, which it was. Also put a couple of washers as spacers between the detent body and its mounting point in the trans top, this aligns the detent balls a little better and has also firmed up the movement of the trans top shift levers. Then put the top back on the trans but the floor plate, carpet and seat removal remain as is for the time being.

And during all this we had another Packard visitor, DavidM. David was on his way home after going to see Tim at Carburettor Service Company, no not for any of his Packards but about his 1912 Maxwell. David had gone for a run on Sunday in the Maxwell and was not impressed with the performance it offered. Who would after Packards? Seriously though with a top speed of about 25/30mph, 2 speed trans with low good for about 4mph and without enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding David was looking for induction system options. I'm sure if Eric was still on board he'd be extolling the virtues of turbocharging it but irrespective that's not going to happen. As it is the Maxwell's current carb isn't "correct" because even Maxwell afficiandos acknowledge their failings, considering them to be suitable for museum status only! The maxwell, a two cylinder JUG engine, currently uses one sidedraft carb joined by a T piece to an unequal length tube manifold, this setup leaving much to be desired. Apparently word in the Maxwell world is the use a pair of AMAL motorcycle carbs, with one attached directly to each JUG. David was scoping out his options with Tim about the AMAL's being big enough for this application, which he was assured they were. David also visited a motorcycle shop and learned there he can purchase a simple linkage arrangement for this type of setup at a very reasonable cost. David had been envisioning engineering brackets, bell cranks and suchforth before discovering the simple off the shelf solution. Apart from that David reckoned Wade should drop all other Packard work and concentrate on getting The Fossil finished!

Then after David left it was back to the '39. But this time instead of the gear linkages, because Wade still needs to find a machinist to do the water pumps and work on some of the gear linkage parts, it was addressing the noisy tappets. I removed the right inner mudguard(fender) panel then Wade removed the tappet covers. This was a good time to tackle this with the gear linkages removed otherwise access, to the 3 rear pairs of tappets, would be nigh on impossible. As it was, it took Wade well over two hours to re-set the 3 front pairs, coming up for air and to stretch his contorted body on a number of occasions. And was I sitting around twiddling my thumbs while Wade was doing his Quasimodo impression? Yes, but with a caveat, I did have to jump up 5 times to press the starter button to bump over the engine so the next tappet could be attended to. With hot settings of 0.007" and 0.010" for intake and exhaust valves respectably Wade used 0.009" and 0.012" cold, same as I set my '41 when it was rebuilt, that's if the memory serves me correctly, and that runs very quietly. The 3 rear pairs will be attended to tomorrow.

And my "true confession"? On Saturday, in preparation for a run in the '41 on Sunday I backed the Coupe up the drive in order to wash and clean it. In doing so, and being so intent of the right side because the driveway entrance is relatively narrow, I bumped the left rear mudguard(fender). To be more precise, the second from the top trim strip on that fender contacted the top of a small wall on that side of the driveway. Slight scrape at the front of that strip where it was pushed forward about 2" and the strip was sprung from it's rearmost mount. It had also straightened the strip, it should have a gentle curve to it following the mudguard(fender)shape. I took the strip off on Saturday, went on the run on Sunday with it in the boot(trunk), didn't want to lose it, and brought it down today for rectification work. While I removed the remaining retention clips from the fender Wade re-bent the strip to fit. After re-mounting it, the only evidence remaining are the scrape marks forward of the strip where it was pushed along the mudguard(fender).

Attach file:

jpg  (42.77 KB)
226_4ceb9b82db613.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.63 KB)
226_4ceb9b950d587.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.29 KB)
226_4ceb9ba0a58cb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.57 KB)
226_4ceb9bac6f046.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.60 KB)
226_4ceb9bc6c71c8.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.80 KB)
226_4ceb9bd17a5ed.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (27.90 KB)
226_4ceb9bdd1aa0e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (38.03 KB)
226_4ceb9bef848c1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.92 KB)
226_4ceb9c0b70e39.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.94 KB)
226_4ceb9c188b107.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (53.69 KB)
226_4ceb9c3340144.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.44 KB)
226_4ceb9c43eb3c3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.15 KB)
226_4ceb9c53415cb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.33 KB)
226_4ceb9c5e8192d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/23 5:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The cure to the mudguard problem is to send the wife shopping. While she's gone, take a jackhammer or other appropriate tool of destruction to the offending item. If it's a corner of your house, tell her that rounded corners are coming back into style and if otherwise, landscaping is over rated.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 9:20
Howard

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Be careful Mal. I think Howard is playing a prank on you! Your wife will have your cojones if you do any freelance landscaping.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 9:56

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 24th November 2010

As I arrived, Wade was walking out of the workshop to go and see Parry at Aldus Engineering just up the road. No luck in finding a solution for the water pump machining required, they are too busy at the moment to be able to do little jobs. Earlier in the morning, before coming to the workshop, Wade had walked around the corner from his house to discover a sign on the front door of a machinist he'd used previously "Landlord in possession because of failure to pay rent" so that was a dead end too.

Returning to the workshop Wade started on setting the tappets for the 3 rear cylinders of the '39. For this I'd brought down 2 small wooden stools because the wheeled mechanics stool Wade used when setting the tappets for the 3 front cylinders was too high to allow him to access the rear cylinders in some sort of comfort. Of the two stools, the really low stool was, like Goldilocks found out, "just right". Sitting on this stool Wade just managed to fit under the rear of the front mudguard(fender) once the stay was removed. But before he disappeared under there I was issued with instructions to install the body to radiator stay bars on The Fossil. Must be that Wade didn't want me twiddling my thumbs like yesterday and so put me to work. And on The Fossil too! Trial fit of the painted nuts on the threaded ends of the stays where they join to the firewall at either upper corner revealed they wouldn't go on, painted up threads preventing that. And it's not my fault, this time I can blame the spraypainter. Out with the tap set and all nuts were cleaned out successfully, which allowed them to be threaded on to the stay. Installed the right side stay easily but the left side was another matter altogether. During this, I had assisted Wade by bumping the starter motor a number of times to turn the engine over for the next set of tappets to be adjusted. So when Wade emerged from under the '39 after a comparatively short time, compared to yesterday, I thought he was just coming out for a stretch. But no, he'd finished the tappets! He popped back under the mudguard(fender) to inspect the tappets while I started the '39 up. And what could you hear after the engine came to life? Certainly not the tappets, now they were quite quiet, as they should be in a Packard.

That done, moved to The Fossil because the left side stay wouldn't fit because the outer hole on the firewall didn't line up with the body bracket inside the car. Wasn't out by much but enough out to prevent the stay from being installed. And because it's not my car I didn't want to force the issue and possibly ruin something. So Wade loosened off the fittings and the bolts holding the firewall together and we attempted to to reposition it but without success. From what could be determined it was suspected some of the cutouts in the Caneite panel behind the firewall weren't quite right causing improper fit. To take the firewall out would necessitate taking the body off and that just wasn't an option. Next best option was prising the left side of the firewall and Caneite out far enough to enable inspection of the suspected problem. This was done with great trepidation on my part, as I'm sure it must have been for Wade, after all it is his car! Managed to obtain a gap of about an 1" which enabled Wade's suspicions to be confirmed. But, how to fix it? Fortunately, because Caneite is very soft, by using a right angled pick and the right angled end of a scriber the enlarging of the offending holes was able to be accomplished. Also fortunately, none of the holes requiring enlargement were too far to reach and rectify. That done Caneite and firewall back in place, bolts and fittings through firewall re-installed and we were good to retry installation of the left side stay and it worked!

Back to the '39, needed to re-install the tappet covers. Had to allow the engine to cool down, especially the exhaust manifold, after the earlier test engine run so Wade wasn't BBQ'd in the process. Although this process should be relatively straight-forward it proved otherwise. But Wade in his usual manner persevered and tappet covers installed with new gaskets.

Then back again to The Fossil. Looked over what needs to be done, a lot! And Wade decided re-installation of the rear seat mount was advisable. A number of other options were ruled out because they are dependent on other things being done first or delivery of parts. Up on the roof of the office, referred to as the mezzanine level, Wade has stored various body and interior parts until they are required. Took down both valance panels, the front frame covers and the front part of the rear seat mount. The bottom(top?) of the rear seat mount was in, where else, the rear of The Fossil. Needed to assemble the front and top(bottom?) with the front piece by bolting them together then mounting them in The Fossil. Why? So the screw holes can be marked and drilled so it can be finally installed and walked away from. The front piece has screw holes which cannot be accessed while the bottom(top?) of the mount is in place. So after the holes are marked on the new wood the pieces will be separated, wood drilled, front piece screwed in then the top(bottom?) piece bolted and screwed into place. All that to restore a Packard, no wonder these things take time. But prior to all that the screws and nuts needed to be cleaned and painted which task I accomplished with the aid of POR-15. Left Wade phoning engineering and machining shops, most of which seemed to have either moved out of the area or misrepresent their capabilities.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.71 KB)
226_4cecd915797a1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.75 KB)
226_4cecd925c15f0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.28 KB)
226_4cecd93551a6c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.10 KB)
226_4cecd9482cede.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.46 KB)
226_4cecd9637e77c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.43 KB)
226_4cecd985df22e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.54 KB)
226_4cecd993decec.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.97 KB)
226_4cecd9a5c857e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.46 KB)
226_4cecd9bbb06c2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/24 4:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Mal,
I have used a family toolmaking business at Blacktown a few times and they were willing to take on very small jobs which they completed promptly. Excellent workmanship and the latest equipment but not exactly handy to Wade's workshop. Call me if you want contact details.
David

Posted on: 2010/11/24 5:41

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 26th November 2010

Yesterday, in my absence, Wade had washed and polished Old Red. And doesn't the old girl brush up well! All the grime, insects, dirt and suchforth collected on the way to and back from Kangaroo Island has now been removed leaving shining, sparkling surfaces instead. Wade has also loosely installed the front apron pieces that fit between the frame horns and the front crossmember on The Fossil. Additionally Rick was over at ABC Bearings yesterday and was able to pick up the missing bearing cup/cone for Old Blues diff rebuild. All that remains to come, so work on the diff can continue, is a new pinion seal. Once that arrives the pumpkin, pinion, hemisphere, crown wheel, seal and bearings(did I miss anything?) can be sent for assembly, set up and lapping in.

On to today, because Wade had an morning committment I arrived later than usual and rather than sit twiddling my thumbs, although I'm good at that, tidied up the hardware pieces I'd POR'd on Wednesday for the rear seat mount. When Wade arrived it was then into bolting the two pieces of the seat mount together, for the first time. Then it was into the back of The Fossil and the rear of the mount was screwed into place so the holes on the lower surface of the upright section at the front of the mount could be marked on the new piece of wood it sits on. That done the mount was removed from the back of The Fossil and unbolted again. Back into the back of The Fossil and holes drilled for the woodscrews required to hold the upright part the mount in place. Upright back into The Fossil and screwed into the wood. Because each side of the upright curves round at 90 degrees and the final screw at each side mounts through a steel strengthening plate into the woodwork below and also couldn't be marked the first time around, the screw holes required were then marked and, after the upright was removed, drilled. Upright then went back in, screwed down to the floor and then the top plate for the seat mount, was screwed into place to the steel floor along its rear edge. That left the front screws which connect the plate to the upright to again be installed, for the final time. Finally after about 2 hours work, with all fasteners screwed down or tightened up, the rear seat mount was in place.

Because Wade now had the the final pinion bearing cup/cone, next was knocking that into the pumpkin using a brass drift and hammer. With that task accomplished I left Wade and the guys to it because they were heading out to lunch at Eastwood Rugby Club. Would have loved to have joined them but couldn't do so today. Monday looks like we'll be doing a road trip to 1) See Harvey because he wants Wades opinion on the trans he's pulled from his '37 Super Eight Club Sedan, and 2) Call into some suppliers on the way there or back. And David, Wade has noted your post but at this point is still trying to locate someone locally.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.51 KB)
226_4cef4ae12f019.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.99 KB)
226_4cef4af3c6226.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.78 KB)
226_4cef4fe4601e0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.68 KB)
226_4cef5006f2734.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (15.96 KB)
226_4cef505034213.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.50 KB)
226_4cef50702ec01.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.90 KB)
226_4cef5080c42d8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.65 KB)
226_4cef5090b5468.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.09 KB)
226_4cef50b061b19.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.43 KB)
226_4cef50c49574f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.66 KB)
226_4cef50d5eb662.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.46 KB)
226_4cef50e16179e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.63 KB)
226_4cef50ed79011.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/26 1:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 29th November 2010

Before getting to todays activities first I need to back-track to last night because the '41 Coupe became a star of the silver screen. What happened is this - A couple of weeks ago Big Bad Barry was contacted by the writer/producer/director/lead actor of a film she was making, and sought a Packard to be used in the film. Because Big Bad Barry's '35 is still recovering from it's Kangaroo Island Rally induced ailments, Barry forwarded on the request to about 10 PACA members including myself. Finally spurred on by my wife Kath and our grown up children, not to forget my ever growing ego, I contacted the aforementioned writer/producer/director/lead actor and offered the '41. The film being made is an entrant in TROPFEST 2011, The World's Largest Short Film Festival. Unfortunately I cannot say anything about the movie, before it's screening in a couple of months time. However I will reveal all at the appropriate time! I had been kicking myself for forgetting to take my camera to the shoot but it seems that it was for the best as I would have posted the pic's last night. Because today I received an email advising of the need to preserve the integrity of the production with any inappropriate disclosure before the Tropfest screening date resulting in immediate disqualification!

Then at the workshop this morning Wade tells me Big Red had been misbehaving over the weekend. On Saturday Wade and Gina had expected to be travelling in Packard style but that was spoiled by Big Red missing and carrying on. Wade ascribed the problem to a faulty condensor, again, and replaced it during the course of their trip. Only Big Red then wouldn't start at all. So back in went the other condensor and Wade, Gina and Big Red limped home. First up today, after removing the distributor from Big Red, it was around to Repco for a new condensor. They didn't have the right one available but ordered one in to be delivered early afternoon.

Quote:
DavidM wrote:Mal, I have used a family toolmaking business at Blacktown.....Call me if you want contact details.

Back at the workshop Wade took up David's offer and obtained details of the toolmaking business concerned, then we were off on our "road trip".

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:Friday 26th November 2010.....Monday looks like we'll be doing a road trip to 1) See Harvey because he wants Wades opinion on the trans he's pulled from his '37 Super Eight Club Sedan, and 2) Call into some suppliers on the way there or back.....

First port of call was the toolmaking business, which is just around the corner from the plant that does the engine acid dipping and cleaning. There Wade explained his requirements to install a modern ceramic seal in Mat's '34 water pump as well as the maching required for part of the trans linkages for John's '39. As well, mention was made that there were another two different water pumps which also required machining work. David there is to work out a cost and call Wade with the quote in the next day or so. Then it was onto Harvey's where on arrival we were served toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, tea or coffee followed by chocolate mud cake, all made by Harvey's fair hand. With a repast like that, all I can say is I'll be back! Lunch over, it was into Harvey's garage to examine the trans out of his '37 Super 8. Wade examined the disassembled pieces on the bench and agreed with another opinion that Harvey had obtained that the 1st/reverse selector fork was loose causing the noise Harvey could hear. Fortunately Harvey has another selector fork to use as a replacement. Wade also suggested one of the bearings needed replacement as well. We then saw the various matters Harvey has been progressing on his '40 Willys, one of which was the trans on it as well! Then on the way back to the workshop called into Lee Bros for some UNF bolts and a box of flat washers. Then into Jaycar for some replacement switches for the engine analyzer, but they didn't have what was required.

Back at the workshop, while Wade went round to Repco for the condensor ordered in, I started cleaning up a pair of rear body brackets. Wire wheeled and bead blasted the old paint and rust off then prepped and painted with POR-15. During the course of this Wade returned sans condensor, it was now 3pm and the 1pm delivery hadn't arrived yet! Wade then turned to the distributor points, and these too need to be replaced so he'll be ordering some in, but not from Repco!

Attach file:

jpg  (25.79 KB)
226_4cf399f836aed.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (27.99 KB)
226_4cf39a1a04225.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.51 KB)
226_4cf39a28b7192.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.62 KB)
226_4cf39a3ab69e9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.15 KB)
226_4cf39a51eb877.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.80 KB)
226_4cf39a6428b11.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.98 KB)
226_4cf39a7db56b0.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.38 KB)
226_4cf39a8fbdd96.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.77 KB)
226_4cf39aa1330ad.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.33 KB)
226_4cf39abee7b2e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (45.21 KB)
226_4cf39ad7c6a1d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.76 KB)
226_4cf39af5025b2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.68 KB)
226_4cf39b06af863.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.65 KB)
226_4cf39b1452c0e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.67 KB)
226_4cf39b2f09c03.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.05 KB)
226_4cf39b4101f02.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (27.00 KB)
226_4cf39b51994d6.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.10 KB)
226_4cf39b5e58bf5.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2010/11/29 7:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 30th November 2010

Late arrival at the workshop this morning, and after first tidying up the parts POR-15'd yesterday, took some pic's of green paint cards compared against the Packard green engines in the workshop. The cards had been forwarded by a PACA member who we'd advised of the Packard green paint code a few weeks ago. He'd had some paint made up but is concerned it is too dark. I think from the pic's, his fears will be allayed as the Packard green on the engines is definitely darker than the greens on the cards he forwarded. Wade also advised he still didn't have the condensor from Repco, apparently the shipping document arrived but not the part! Should be in today, along with another condensor which looks like it will fit, and Wade will chase those up later.

Then it was onto The Fossil. Now that the rear bodyframe braces are ready, the soundproofing for the rear of the body could be measured, cut and put in place. Apparently the original soundproofing was a glued on fibre or horsehair like material which had been removed during the body repair and painting processes. But instead of trying to replicate this a modern alternative is being utilised. Measured the large panel across the rear of The Fossil then cut a section of the sheet into a rectangle with a small cut out for the woodwork under the rear window. Fitting the cut section into place the cut outs for the wheel wells were accomplished in small segments in situ because of the difficulty in holding and marking these areas for cutting outside the body. Next was contact cementing the sound proofing sheet, this preparation was done outside the body. Then contact cementing the inside of the body, bringing the sheet into the body, aligning it and then pressing into place. That done the bodyframe braces were installed, by drilling and screwing into the wooden cross pieces under the rear window and into the wood at the rear of the under seat sheetmetal to complete that area. Left Wade cutting, contact cementing and adhering smaller patches of the soundproofing material to parts of the rear quarter panels. Granddaughters are needing some Grandparents time today!

And on my way out of the workshop had a call from starliner, Chris. Chris recently got his '54 Clipper Super Club Sedan on the road, see this post, and is very pleased with it, having put about 150 miles on it since the 25th. But what he was calling about is his '48 Standard Eight Club Sedan. The '48 is at a hot rod shop on the outskirts of Sydney and Chris is going out on Saturday morning to do some work on it. Because I'd previously expressed an interest in seeing it if I could, Chris was kind enough to call and arrange for my "viewing" of the '48 on Saturday. Should be interesting as I don't know of any other of these Club Sedans in Australia.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.87 KB)
226_4cf497c4b7e6e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.12 KB)
226_4cf497d06620e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.55 KB)
226_4cf497de25d58.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.48 KB)
226_4cf4993d0c739.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.12 KB)
226_4cf49955b1863.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.95 KB)
226_4cf4996d2140b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.59 KB)
226_4cf4998444020.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.85 KB)
226_4cf4998ff0260.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.92 KB)
226_4cf499a1e4987.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.18 KB)
226_4cf499b265bc1.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (39.26 KB)
226_4cf49a175c779.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/30 1:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 61 62 63 (64) 65 66 67 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved