Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Carpet Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Last fall I bought a 1956 400 hardtop. The exterior is painted the original Scottish Heather and Dover White. The carpet is black, but it's loop pile and looks like a replacement. It's also about worn out. I'm wondering whether the car came from the factory with black carpet or perhaps some other color? Was there a selection to go with those exterior colors? Also, is loop pile correct for the car? I thought maybe Packard would have used a plush of some sort. Can carpet be purchased that's ready to install?

A lot of questions, I know, but I'd like to get new carpet and I'd like it to be authentic, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2019/6/5 10:22
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Carpet Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check with Neal Porter and see what colors he has left in the reproduction carpet he had made several years ago. I believe his is all sold as bulk material so you would need a local upholsterer to finish it off and install it.

The 56 color and upholstery book is in the literature section and can give you an idea of what was available with the various trim codes or you can find a part number in the parts book since it lists bulk carpet that was available with various trim sets. Once you have that number, select the photo archive selection on the left menu and down at the bottom of the page that opens under parts plates, diagrams and material cards select the upholstery and material cards. Scroll thru to find the part number and there are some actual sample photos of the carpet material which give a fairly decent look at what the pattern might be.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.63 KB)
209_5cf7e0b086d41.jpg 773X118 px

Posted on: 2019/6/5 10:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Steve.43 wrote:
Last fall I bought a 1956 400 hardtop. The exterior is painted the original Scottish Heather and Dover White. The carpet is black, but it's loop pile and looks like a replacement. It's also about worn out. I'm wondering whether the car came from the factory with black carpet or perhaps some other color? Was there a selection to go with those exterior colors? Also, is loop pile correct for the car? I thought maybe Packard would have used a plush of some sort. Can carpet be purchased that's ready to install?

A lot of questions, I know, but I'd like to get new carpet and I'd like it to be authentic, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve in Indiana

Carpet color in a Scottish Heather/Dover White 1956 Four Hundred would have been black. I have had three of these four Hundreds in that color scheme and knew of several others. Stock color was black for the carpet for this color scheme.

Posted on: 2019/6/5 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Check the Packard Club website. Neal Porter in Michigan had the 1956 carpet reproduced. A loop is NOT correct for 1956. I believe he is out of black but the colors he has can probably be dyed.

Posted on: 2019/6/5 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I bought carpet from Neil Porter for my Caribbean ( in addition to stainless brake lines which were an absolutely perfect fit). At that time he had someone creating carpet sets. My only serious issue with carpets was that they did not come with the integrated jute matting offered with most custom carpet sets.
They look nice but I know that there are show cars out there with incorrect tops and loop carpeting. If you plan to just drive and enjoy the car you may be happier and save money by purchasing a set from one of the regular suppliers. Pretty sure Kanter offers carpet sets and remember finding others when I was looking.

Posted on: 2019/6/5 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
A lot of people sell carpet sets but Neal's is the carpet that is right for 1956. I bought enough carpet to do both my cars. My advice is to buy the carpet and have your upholstery shop sew and install it. You can get the correct heal pad from Steele Rubber.

Posted on: 2019/6/6 18:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved