Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Oil pressure sending unit
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
When I turn ignition to on position I see my oil pressure gauge needle
Pins all the way to the H side.could it be a gauge issue or a bad sending unit? Also where is sender located on Engine
Thanks

Attach file:

png  (378.72 KB)
167018_5d00e260d7e54.png 575X1024 px

png  (378.72 KB)
167018_5d00e28278b9c.png 575X1024 px

Posted on: 2019/6/12 6:32
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil pressure sending unit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The sender is at the top right rear of block just behind the intake manifold and next to the distributor. Immediately going to the H side means the wire or sender is grounded.

Disconnect the wire from the sender or don't leave the key on with the gauge pegged or you could burn out the gauge. If the gauge returns to the low end when the wire is disconnected the sender is the issue -- if it does not, look for a short in the wire.

If the sender is a replacement, with the symptoms you have could a Clipper sender have been installed by mistake? The Clipper sender is just a switch designed to work a light. It is normally on but opens when the pressure raises sufficiently and turns off the light. The Packard sender works a gauge and is a resistance unit which changes value. It lowers resistance as the pressure goes higher to make the needle move toward the top end.

You can check your type of sender with an ohmmeter. With the engine off or sender not installed, between the metal case near the threads and the terminal on top a 51-4 sender and 55-6 Clipper sender will read a direct short or maybe a few tenths above 0 ohms. A good 55-6 Packard gauge sender will read much higher starting somewhere around 90-100 ohms and depending on brand could be even higher. If it has shorted it will read low and more toward 0 ohms.

You can get a proper Packard unit from one of our vendors or a Napa OP6091 has been found to work with the gauges.

Posted on: 2019/6/12 8:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
I will check to see if I have the inciorrect sender since I have a gauge and not the light shouldn't I have the sender in the photo I posted ? Is that what I should be looking for
Thanks
Mark

Posted on: 2019/6/12 12:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Different mfgs have had various looking senders over the years. The typical modern switch type is short and angular and has a black plastic end. Gauge types are usually larger and bulkier but not all look the same. Switch senders from early years are frequently all metal like the one in your photo and hard to distinguish..

Here is the Napa gauge unit and is what the original on my 56 as well as the one shown in most Packard factory photos looks like. The small photo from the parts book shows a factory 51-4 switch type sender for the idiot light and as you can see, not a lot different in looks from the gauge type.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.80 KB)
209_5d01362a7375d.jpg 592X385 px

jpg  (11.54 KB)
209_5d013805300d8.jpg 290X230 px

Posted on: 2019/6/12 12:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello Howard when I got home I checked the Packard and I have verified that I had an oriiginal pressure sending unit and it is what I believe to be the original one on the engine soon as I touched the wire it literally fell right off and the connector crumbled in my hand also the connector on the sender spins around so obviously it's no good
I will go to Napa tomorrow and buy the replacement unit I thank you for your help by the way when I disconnected the oil pressure wire the gauge went back to L without a problem thanks again

Posted on: 2019/6/12 18:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard. I have a 1954 Packard Pacific 359/L8 that just started leaking oil from what appears to be from the tee adapter that the oil pressure sending unit is attached to. There is a mechanical oil pressure gauge attached to one side the tee adapter and mounted on the engine block. I ordered a sending unit from max merritt. Do you know what the size, specs, part number and manufacturer are for the brass tee adapter? The engine has Amsoil ZRod motoroil in it. What is the best procedure to stop the leak? Remove, clean, Locktite 592 and reinstall? I tried to attach a file photo but got the "protector" error message.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 19:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if someone made some changes to add the mechanical gauge. Normally the brass block used on cars with oil filters is a squarish 4 way piece and was a Packard made item. 1/8 NPT male nipple into the engine block port, 1/8 NPT female hole on the opposite end of the brass block for the sender. The side ports were each machined as a 1/4" female inverted flare tubing fitting -- one side for the 1/4" tubing to the filter and the other side for the small curved 1/4" tube pigtail to the the port above the sender feeding the valve lifter gallery.

If that block is the piece that is leaking you will probably need to find a vendor or someone on the forum with a parts car and get a used block. If no block present then you might need to come up with your own mickymoused mess in those sizes because I couldn't begin to guess what might be there.

If it is mickymoused it might be easier to find the original block and get that back to stock and then plumb the extra mechanical gauge into one of the ports on the main gallery running the length of the passenger side of the engine just above the oil pump. Many of us have removed one of the rear 1/8" filler plugs in the gallery and added the necessary fittings to use one of those ports for the extra gauge. The pressure reading would be the same because the port the square brass block and sender uses on the drivers side is a straight drilled passage across the block so just a direct extension of the main gallery.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 20:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 54packpac,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '54 Pacific in the Packard Owner's Registry

Posted on: 2019/10/8 21:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Greatly appreciated. Thank you Howard. I'm on it...

Posted on: 2019/10/11 4:18
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific Oil pressure sending unit 4 way brass tee adapter filter/unit/gauge/block
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard, just a heads up regarding the oil pressure sending unit 4 way brass tee adapter for oil filter, sending unit, mechanical oil pressure gauge and engine block inlet is part #426143 from Max Merritt. Chris at Max Merritt was very helpful as were you. Mike at Tucson Packard was helpful as well. Thanks again !

Posted on: 2019/10/11 9:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved