Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 526 battery/starter issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Purchased a 6 volt 50 amp hour Optima battery for my 6 cyl. When the engine was rebuilt, it was started with the same starter but 7 years ago. Not sure what battery he used. Have not started the motor since then but rotate the crankshaft by hand every month. Now the starter spins but the bendix gear will not spin out to engage the flywheel. I cleaned and re-lubricated the spiral gear and shaft but still will not spin out.

Is the issue the 50 AH battery or the starter? Handbook calls out for a 6v 100AH battery. If starter, what can I do to get the bendix to engage.

Posted on: 2019/6/18 19:45
 Top  Print 

Re: 1928 526 battery/starter issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
After the cleaning and lube, did you put the starter back on the car to test, or just apply current while it was still on the bench?

Posted on: 2019/6/20 21:44
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
I had the starter tested and the battery tested. Both were good. Went back to the battery cable ground post and cleaned the frame where it connected and reattached. Everything worked great. Starter turned the motor over fine. It was just a poor ground. Had enough to spin the starter but not good enough to start the car(throw the bendix gear into the flywheel). Now on to the next issue, missing drive shaft universal joint gasket bushings.

Posted on: 2019/6/23 8:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Bob; I have some extra u-joints, what part do u need. Picture?

Posted on: 2019/6/23 11:30

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved