Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Ultramatic
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
I have the following problem ,any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I can not get the 1954 24th series transmision to drop into high gear.This tranny has Low ,thats fine .Then when Im in normal ,i think its drive,the car runs fine in second gear but I can not get it to drop into 3rd gear.
WE checked the linkage but not sure how assure its not the linkage .
Could a bad Torque converter do this ?
We cleaned and checked all the valve body and the governor ,and all seem to be operating normally .

Is their a service piece that defines how to set the linkage?

This is the final thing to get my car on the road ,can anyone help here?
Kevin

Posted on: 2019/6/21 10:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Kevin:

First thing is to clarify what you have, a 24th Series would be 1951, not 1954. And if 1954, there are two quite different Ultramatic transmissions, traditional and the late-introduction "Gear Start" and we'd need to know which you have.

Posted on: 2019/6/21 10:33
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

wileypackard
See User information
Yes ,I have a 54,cant tell what series ,I do not know how to tell what series this is .I am Nivek`s123 mechanic

Posted on: 2019/6/21 20:19
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

wileypackard
See User information
I do know we do not have the gear start

Posted on: 2019/6/21 20:20
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

wileypackard
See User information
FYI ,My boss is from Orange ,New Jersey !

Posted on: 2019/6/21 20:21
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

wileypackard
See User information
The Part number that we can see is 2100 on the top of the Tranny and it says Trade Ultamatic Mark

Posted on: 2019/6/21 20:26
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

wileypackard
See User information
WE found another number 100573

Posted on: 2019/6/21 20:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Inside, the original Ultramatic quadrant will have 5 positions. Park, Neutral, High, Low, Reverse. The Gear Start will have 6 positions. Park, Neutral, a dot, Drive or High (can't remember which), Low, Reverse. Under the hood the Gear Start has a long tube and dipstick coming up next to the starter motor. On the regular Ultra you have a short dipstick right on the side of the transmission and need to crawl under to get to it.

Posted on: 2019/6/21 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Back to original question: I'm pretty sure what you mean by 3d gear is convertor lockup.

There is low which is gears plus convertor
There is high which is just convertor
There is direct, which is convertor locked up like a modern car.

Anyway, if you are not getting convertor lockup there are a whole raft of possible reasons. In my experience, the least likely is that the governor is stuck or one of the valves in the valve body is stuck. Far more likely is that a number of bushings in the trans have worn to the point that the fluid necessary to activate the direct clutch simply doesn't make it there anymore. Often in that case when the unit is dead cold the clutch might operate softly but then goes away when the fluid heats up.

Best bet would be to install a pressure gauge on the direct drive port on the bottom of the bell housing and see if the pressure ever tries to rise as the car accelerates.

As to the throttle linkage adjustment: for a first whack make sure the carb is off the fast idle cam and is idling slowly. Turn it off, get under and loosen the clamp screw on the throttle link on the trans. With a right angle screwdriver turn the throttle shaft ccw til it stops, then bring it cw just a hair so it is not resting on its stop. Tighten the clamp and try it.

Posted on: 2019/6/22 6:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
Thanks
first i do not have gear start .
seqence of events
We had a problem with the tranny dropping into high gear.
We pulled the tranny and found the valve was stuck that sends fluid to the high gear.
Then we put it back in ,still the same problem.
Then i put a spare tranny in ,howver we put the Torque converter from the bad tranny into the new tranny ,cause the torque converter we had on the replacement tranny was leaking.Same thing agaain.
The question I have about the torque converter.I notice it has a clutch built in .What is that all about ?could it be that the clutch is bad in the orifional torque converter and that would have something to do with it ,i am lost on the converter ,is there a low and high impeller and thats the reason for the clutch,it looks like we have impellers on the converter that are clutch friven and we do not have a clue.

Posted on: 2019/6/22 6:57
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved