Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Transmission stabilizer
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ltlf
See User information
Wan some tell me what the bar with tie rod ends that runs from my engine to the cross member is called, what it does and where I can get a replacement. Thanks.

Attach file:

jpeg  (274.99 KB)
197841_5d179b4925d48.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/6/29 12:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Transmission stabilizer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That one is the second version of a stabilizer bar Packard added to the 1600 and 1601 models in 38 and later added to other models to better control reverse chatter. It helps prevent fore and aft movement of the engine in the mounts.

You might try flackmaster for a replacement. His email is flackmaster at sbcglobal point net (substitute @ for at and a . for point in the written out address)

The original version was two pieces of flat steel vulcanized together which Packard later found separated at the rubber junction. They went to the adjustable rods and while those were also apparently a bit weak and could bend they stuck with that version until sometime in the 21st series when they went to a straight rod with donut bushings on either side of a hole in a bracket at each end. Over years the rubber deteriorates in the ball sections of the second version and seems to be the most common failure seen today.

Flackmaster reproduced a beefier version of the second assy a few years ago and might still be able to supply that or an original. I believe he has even come up with some instructions on modifying modern tie rod ends to fit and take the place of the original ball sections.

Posted on: 2019/6/29 12:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ltlf, please delete your duplicate post, it just ads clutter. Thanks.

Posted on: 2019/6/29 14:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ltlf,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '41 160 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry

Posted on: 2019/6/29 16:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved