Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1936 - standard 8 - spitting up through carb
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Crin

The specialty machine shop that rebuilt my motor sent me away with instructions to torque the head nuts to 63 FOOT POUNDS. I think I have been doing 65. They even said one torque after the first heat cycle would suffice and it wasn't until a knowledgeable member on here advised me to do it 3 times before installing the motor, a couple of weeks apart, then after 1 heat cycle, then 50 miles then 200 miles. Now Dave is saying 'until they no longer move' and that sounds like very good advice as well. Re you mentioning acorn nuts/washers, those heads would have normally (I believe) come with standard open end nuts, so bottoming out would not be an issue. In wanting to dress my six up a bit I opted for polished stainless acorn nuts. They cam with quite-thick washers (also polished stainless) which definitely lift the nuts up off the head a bit and allow some torque room. Any way you could remove an inner nut and measure what you have for clearance and then bottom a nut out on a bolt in a vise and compare clearances?? Also, very recently, someone posted Packard's torque-pattern sequence for the sixes and the eights - t'would be a good guide to follow, yes/no?? Chris

Posted on: 2019/7/7 0:35
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Crin,

Couple of things... re the gasket, not sure who would sell just the head gasket, as I see them in rebuild kits but don't know if they'll sell you just the single gasket. Have you checked with the 'regular' suppliers... Kanter's, Max Merritt, etc.???
Also, in reasoning this through, unless the car has been sitting for an extended period without being run, I would think it unlikely that you would suddenly get sticking valves in 3 cylinders?? Plus the 'foam' in the rad would seem to point to a head gasket. Big ENOUGH job, but like you say, I think I'd rather mess with that than having to tie into valve issues. Hope you can get it sorted and get her back on the road and still enjoy some of the summer!

Posted on: 2019/7/7 0:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I concur with the prior post pointing to a head gasket issue. i can supply a NOS gasket for $200 delivered. flackmaster at sbcglobal point net, or 214-373, seventy one 55.

Posted on: 2019/7/7 8:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
You can also try Olsons Gasket in Oregon (360) 871-1207.

Posted on: 2019/7/7 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Crin,
If it were me, I'd take the NOS piece any day over repro'd gaskets, especially when it comes to a head gasket. Chris

Posted on: 2019/7/7 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
NOS head gasket in my opinion is the way to go. The low compression is in cylinders that are next to each other, this may be the result of a bad gasket. If the engine has the original aluminum head I suggest inspecting the cylinder head for corrosion in the water passages, this can also be the problem. I experienced problems with a newly rebuilt engine, all due to a bad aluminum cylinder head.
I torqued my cylinder head to 63 ft lbs.

Posted on: 2019/7/13 23:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved