Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Barney Pollard Collection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Ran across Pollard's name in an article and remembered it from Packard racing history. Apparently, he later collected over 1000 cars, saving many from the WWII scrap drive by making a deal with the government. At some point he even had a run-in with Henry Ford's notorious enforcer Harry Bennett and prevailed!

Although about 100 were destroyed in a fire, many of Pollard's cars were sold in the 1970s and are around today. His grandson, Jim Dillon, commenting in a HAMB forum (and posting some fascinating photos, like cars hanging on end for more efficient storage) mentions he wrote a series of articles about Pollard in Antique Auto around 2012. Does anyone know what issues these would be in?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-to-learn-about-barney-pollards-collection.213230/

Posted on: 2019/7/10 21:25
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Barney Pollard Collection
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I didn't save the issues and don't recall the year, but I do recall reading the Pollard articles.

Posted on: 2019/7/11 7:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I didn't just read about Barney Pollard's collection. I actually visited there many years ago with my dad. It was a Detroit legend... and it was true.

I remember stories of Barney's neighbors turning him in during WW2 for "hoarding scrap metal." I also well remember cars that were not hanging (I imagine some were), but standing upright on their bumpers, with a hook overhead merely to keep the car upright.

If you are looking for write-ups on Mr. Pollard's collection, the ones I remember most were in Old Cars newspaper (long before it became weekly) back in the 1970s

Posted on: 2019/7/11 13:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Link to thread about the Pollard collection on AACA Website.

Posted on: 2019/7/11 16:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
All Antique and Automobile magazines are available as a set on USB stick.
http://www.aacalibrary.org/usb/
I would have searched my copy but have lent the stick and it has not come back

Posted on: 2019/7/11 18:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved