Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Henney Brake Cylinder Rebuild Kits and Hoses
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I pulled the master cylinder today and after disassembly, I see that the Napa master kit UP 137 (1-1/8" bore) will NOT work even though it has the same bore. The reason is, it does not have the hole part way though the piston for the pedal push rod and instead just has a little dimple for it. I found in my stock a couple new Raybestos kits, MK376 which are also 1-1/8" bore and the do have the hole but the pistons are nearly 1/2" too short. Not sure but these kits may have been for one of my mid-'60s Imperials. In any event, it appears that the Napa UP 25 might be the proper one but I won't know until I can locate a store that carries it.

In any event, my master does not appear to be rebuildable due to a small area of corrosion in the bore but I can't tell who the manufacturer was. It has only EIS 23 on one side. Does anyone know what that is?

Having said that, this is the first time that I've ever worked on a Packard with the benefit of having the service manuals and online help and have done this before but I can't figure out how to disconnect the master's push rod from the pedal mechanism. It might be obvious but I'm working in some tight physical confines so couldn't get a good look so any tips?

Update EIS catalog found.

Attach file:

png  (628.88 KB)
60923_5d6c60bd198e1.png 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2019/9/1 19:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
EIS is a unit within the Standard Motor Products family, a major maker of hydraulic automotive brake components since at least the 30's.

Posted on: 2019/9/1 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As long as I've been working on Packards, that's a company Ive never heard of but there seems to be a lot of information about it along with part numbers online. I presume that having an EIS master means that it was replaced at some point as the front wheel cylinders are Wagner Lockheed and I would guess that the master would have been the same or the same as whatever the original brakes were. Not sure what the original master was like but the EIS has a huge fluid reservoir.

Posted on: 2019/9/2 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yeah, Don, cars of our vintage never quite 'go back the way the came', do they!?!? Lots of hands on them over the years and lots of different 'brands of repair'. I'm learning that with my car... Chris.

Posted on: 2019/9/3 0:08
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I finally found the proper Henney Lockheed Wagner master which was rebuildable - but just barely - and it's on its way now to my shop after the rebuild. Actually, there are brand new ones available with the same number but they have a -61 added on but I didn't want to take the chance so opted for the rebuild instead.

A standard Packard brake cylinder would probably fit in a pinch but it would have a smaller bore and a lower capacity reservoir. The reservoir on the Henney master is quite large.

Attach file:

jpeg  (197.55 KB)
60923_5d9526b9ea2f6.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/10/2 17:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved