Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 157

Packard Don, todd landis, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Don Sommer R.I.P.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I am sorry to report that Don Sommer has passed. Here is hoping there are many classic Packards where he has gone.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 19:23
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Don Sommer R.I.P.
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
It is with great sadness to announce the passing of Don Sommer. He passed away earlier this afternoon, Monday, July 15.

Don stood tall in the both the Packard community and old car hobby in general. He had numerous accomplishments in his life. He was the President and founder (1972) of American Arrow Corporation. American Arrow manufactures replacement mascots, parts and accessories for classic era vintage cars.

He, along with Dick Teague and other auto enthusiasts, co-founded Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance to support preservation of Meadow Brook Hall. During his tenure (1979 - 2006) the group raised $6.0 million for charity.

Don was a founding member of Motor City Packards, now the largest region of Packard Automobile Classics. For the past number of years Don was a trustee of the board of the Packard Motor Car Foundation helping to preserve the Packard Proving Grounds in (Utica) Shelby Township, MI.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time and the family will announce a memorial service at a later date.

Don will be greatly missed.

Here is Don a few years ago with his 1930 740 Phaeton at the Timing Stand at the PPG

Attach file:

jpg  (90.73 KB)
436_5d2d1d351373b.jpg 800X480 px

Posted on: 2019/7/15 19:41
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information

Posted on: 2019/7/15 21:10
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
GREAT GUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure hes in PACKARD heaven.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 8:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
This is sad news indeed. Don was a super guy and great ambassador for the hobby in general and specifically the Packard marque. I met him in 1979 when I joined Motor City Packards and he was very gracious to this young pup. After attending the first Meadowbrook Concours d'Elegance, I was hooked for life. He will be missed. Prayers for strength and comfort go out to the family.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 13:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
A Day of Remembrance for Don will be held on Sunday, August 11 from noon to 4:00 PM at the Packard Proving Grounds.

The family invites all his friends to attend this open-house event to celebrate his life, share stories and have dish of ice cream. If you have a Packard or other collector car, then so much the better if you could drive it out to the proving grounds that day.

Below is a photo the family sent to us of Don's 1948 convertible in front of a business down the street from his American Arrow business in Clawson, MI.

Read more of Don's life and his contribution to the old car hobby by clicking onto this link from today's paper.https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2019/07/19/concours-delegance-don-sommer-dies/1762424001/

Again, he was quite a guy and will be missed.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.42 KB)
436_5d3259292a0e6.jpg 699X466 px

Posted on: 2019/7/19 18:48
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved