Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 86

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Model Identification
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
Who is the expert on 1942 model questions? I am wondering what the main difference between the 1571 and the 1591 was?? There was only $150 difference in price but what was the difference between the two models,Model ID?? and how would you identify one if the ID tag was missing? Both show a 148" wheelbase. Is this true? Somewhere else they listed the 1571 as having a shorter wheelbase. In your data they both have the same wheelbase. Confused???
Lee Noga

Posted on: 2019/7/20 8:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Model Identification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Soundsike you're asking about the Business cars. The Business sedans shared the same senior chassis with the standard offerings but were intended for sale to the professional/livery trade and thus they had some of the luxury content removed in order to offer a lower priced vehicle and one more attuned to the commercial trade. For example there are differences in rear axle spacing and wheelhouse dimensions, seat widths, and in interior fabrics (plainer but more durable), etc., read the attached Business Sedan information.

External differences I've noticed in 1941 models (1942 probably similar or the same) are absence of the fender "whisker" trim and absence of a passenger side internal sun visor on Business Sedans. I've also seen at least one with a removable passenger side door pillar.

UPDATE: Nothing specific in my file about the 1942 Business cars but here's some Packard literature on the 1937 and 1940 Business cars. There are folks who visit here that know a lot more than I do about the 1941/42 Business cars and I'm sure they will offer more info.

Attach file:

jpg  (196.29 KB)
177_5d334ab516c79.jpg 1293X1920 px

jpg  (281.49 KB)
177_5d334ad2bb3e6.jpg 1269X1920 px

jpg  (255.71 KB)
177_5d334ae73ca0f.jpg 1500X913 px

jpg  (466.47 KB)
177_5d334b07ed1f3.jpg 1920X1208 px

Posted on: 2019/7/20 11:53
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
Thank you much for answering Owen, and the info. Well have done more digging and think I have a fairly good handle on things right now. I lost the ID tag from my Packard years ago when I had the auto painted and he removed the ID tag and lost it.
Anyway I believe my correct ID is a 1591-2050. It was a factory converted 1591 into what they called an invalid sedan with a removable center post. I converted it back to a regular 1591.
I just recently got it repainted for a price tag of $20,000.00 and yes almost twice of what he quoted me at the start. Anyway all painted and only one problem left. A really weird one!

Turns out I have two right hand rear vent windows. The one on the drivers side, the back side turns in rather than out. Did it leave the factory that way? Doubtful isn't it? But also since I have owned the auto for about 35 years and all inside trim was all originally painted the same wood grain pattern etc, what is one to believe? Anyway my problem now is to get the left wing working properly and finding the rubber trim that nobody makes. What to do?? A real problem!! So close and yet so far~~~~
Lee Noga

Posted on: 2019/7/20 14:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I hope you find your patent plate with the vehicle number, it is a significant loss if it isn't recovered. To many serious hobbyists and prospective buyers, a missing or reproduction vehicle number plate often casts questions about authenticity, especially on low production cars or those with unusual features such as yours.

Posted on: 2019/7/20 16:02
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved