Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Battery Cable to Starter
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello,

Sorry for the basic question, I'm not near the car to do a quick measure... Does anyone know if the ring terminal ends on the battery cable to starter are 5/16 or 3/8?

I'm ordering a new battery to starter cable and I'm going to try BatteryCablesUSA because they offer 2/0 00 awg at very reasonable prices and I've seen two recent positive experiences posted to aaca. This is specifically what I'm looking at getting:https://www.batterycablesusa.com/00-gauge-battery-cable-with-ends-2-0-awg It says "extreme" in the description which is exactly what I think of when I think of Packard ;)

I already have a new thick braided ground strap...I know it's not supposed to be a strap originally but that's what Kanter gave me for some reason and it works so I'll stick with it.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2019/7/20 9:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Battery Cable to Starter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most solenoids Packard used have a 3/8 battery terminal.

Posted on: 2019/7/20 9:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Perfect! thank you again!

Posted on: 2019/7/20 11:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don't know the year of your Packard but I believe they were braided straps originally.

Posted on: 2019/7/20 20:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Interesting... I was told on the other Packard site that my year/model didn't come with a strap, makes me think, also was told that the carter fuel pump and glass bowl filter should be AC.

Posted on: 2019/7/23 6:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
H.E. Penny, the many knowledgable experts on this site could advise you more fully if you listed the year and model of your car. Most of us put the info in our signature line, in case we forget.

For example, on my '37 120, a braided ground strap is correct.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2019/7/23 7:34
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the round insulated ground cable is correct for the 49. Here is a photo of a 22nd series on the assy line. You can see the round cable is already attached to the generator bracket bolt is and hanging over the generator.

Parts book lists the same cable used for 22-23 series and another number for 51-4. That one is probably a braided cable but unless you are going in for judging I would also say go with whatever works. Not sure on prewar years but I think the Clipper based bodies from 42-50 were the models that used the round cables.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.72 KB)
209_5d37180e62a89.jpg 750X606 px

Posted on: 2019/7/23 9:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a better view, cropped and sharpened. And a Carter (single action) fuel pump would be correct for a 1955/56 Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (160.76 KB)
177_5d371a71ee8d2.jpg 1500X1213 px

Posted on: 2019/7/23 9:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Thank you all for the help! I have a 49 deluxe 22nd, but I'll probably stick with the braided strap since it's hefty and works.

I received the new battery to starter cable today from battery cables USA, but now I'm worried it's too short! I thought I measured the one on the car at 18 inches but this just looks short to me off the car and in my kitchen... hopefully I'm wrong. It's a nice cable, though, for those considering that source. If it is too short I'll probably order another from them.

Posted on: 2019/7/24 16:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Just double checked the Max site, where they kindly show a tape measure and it does look like the replacement is 18 in, so I guess I was right! Will install this weekend and check battery for water levels, hoping optimistically that these are my restart issues ;)

Posted on: 2019/7/24 17:17
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved