Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Packard 400 color of engine transmission and valve covers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the main number but there is another number stamped at the Utica plant when the engine was mfg'd and was the only number used before the engine met the car and had the VN assigned. It was the number frequently used when a field mod was done later too.

That number was on the rear R side of the block just below the exhaust manifold although in late 56 it might have been moved and could be in a spot near the VN. The numbers had a format of one or two letters using A thru D plus some numerals. Numerals I believe were sequential and while I don't believe there is a bulletin stating a definitive range of numbers for a particular model, there are a couple of 55 and 56 tech bulletins where you can get an idea of which letter was used on an engine destined to go in a particular model

Attach file:

jpg  (99.77 KB)
209_5d4eec8102026.jpg 1920X478 px

Posted on: 2019/8/10 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

56PKRDGUY
See User information
Thanks Howard for all the information and the attachment.
I really appreciate it.

Gary

Posted on: 2019/8/10 11:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1956 Utica plant motor number prefixes:

A = 5640, Ultramatic
AA = 5640, standard trans

B = 5660/5670, Ultramatic
BB = 5660/5670, standard trans

C= 5688 (Caribbean), Ultramatic only

D = 5680, Ultramatic
DD = 5680, standard shift

The numerical sequence # began at 1001. So for example, motor C-1501 would be the 501st Caribbean motor, with Twin Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2019/8/10 12:48
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

56PKRDGUY
See User information
So I tried brushing on the Bill Hirsh engine paint did not really cover and it had like a green hue to it. I think I may have to get a paint store supplier to put the paint I have into spray cans so that its mixed better and will have a better finish. Any ideas on this? Thanks Gary

Posted on: 2019/8/14 16:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

56PKRDGUY wrote:
So I tried brushing on the Bill Hirsh engine paint did not really cover and it had like a green hue to it. I think I may have to get a paint store supplier to put the paint I have into spray cans so that its mixed better and will have a better finish. Any ideas on this? Thanks Gary

I used Bill Hirsch's paint on several 1956 Packard engines over several years... never a problem. But it has been decades since I did one of these, so who knows what the paint is like today. All I know is that if I stirred or shook well and brushed it on, it worked beautifully. Always. And never had any "green hue" in the paints I used.

Spray would have never improved finishes I got and frankly I felt the brushed-on paint (at least back then starting in the 1970s) provided superior coverage and dried very nicely. But things may have changed.

Posted on: 2019/8/14 16:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I did find a factory picture of a V-8 engine with a bronze pulley. However, they should be black. I only mention this because that is more proof than anybody has produced as to grinding and painting radiator shells that were originally chrome plated.

As well I don't remember if I changed the pulley, but I did change the generator bracket which is on backwards in the photo.

Posted on: 2019/8/15 10:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Pic of my Caribbean engine - Hirsch's paint.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.29 KB)
23_5d558de7dd98c.jpg 503X804 px

Posted on: 2019/8/15 11:52
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved