Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 190

BDeB, Charles, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mineral oil in transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
So I'm reading the Service Counselor reprint (courtesy Max Merritt) which instructs service depts to use mineral oil in the transmission and overdrive.

Does anyone do that?

Posted on: 2019/7/23 12:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Mineral oil in transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The present MIL spec for GL-5 gear oil requires non-reactivity with bronze. So modern gear oils are what is in most of those transmissions. The old Moss boxes specified motor oil due to bronze synchros the same way as Packard.

You can try a straight oil (available fro Lubriplate) and if the shift quality is poor change over to the GL-5 which is more grabby.

Posted on: 2019/7/23 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Joe, following the advice of others on this forum, I replaced the fluid in my transmission with 90W mineral oil (GL-1 rated) from Napa. This is available in 1 gallon jugs only and is pure mineral oil.

I could not believe the difference in shifting and driveability this made for my car. Granted, I have no idea what was in there before, from the previous owner, or how long it had been there, but I was very impressed with the difference it made.

Posted on: 2019/7/23 13:36
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Good ol' Internet. Transmission oil IS mineral oil, plus additives. Now that my leak problems are solved, I might change to straight mineral oil with next oil change visit. I'm sure I'll have to bring my own mineral oil, as I do oil filter.

Posted on: 2019/7/23 14:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved