The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
42 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...

Determining the build date of our Packards
Just can't stay away
From Rochester, New York 14623 U.S.A.
Is there a way I can determine the build date of our Packards by the serial and body numbers? I'd like to know if our Patrician and Clipper are older or younger than I am!

Posted on: 8/12 9:52:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Determining the build date of our Packards
Forum Ambassador
From New Jersey
What model years are your cars?

The short answer is no.

Except for 1955/1956, you can make an educated guess from the theft-proof number which except for extremely early or late numbers might get you within a month or so of the build date. For some V8 models you can get a copy of an original shipping order which would get you generally within a few days. Generally vehicle numbers are only useful in making good guesses if they are very early or late numbers and we also know which models and body styles initiated or ended production. For example we know that the initial 22nd series production consisted of only convertibles.

Posted on: 8/12 10:26:10

Forum Ambassador
From Fresno CA
Unless the engine has been swapped, one other possible way to get within a few months would be to find a casting date on the block. Haven't read that Packard stockpiled large volumes of unfinished blocks or finished engines so doubt the date the block was cast and then engine finished and installed in the car would be different by more than a month or two.

Posted on: 8/12 11:39:15

Just can't stay away
Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted on: 8/13 7:08:55

Home away from home
From Santa Fe
Sometimes one can find the "build sheet" under the front carpet. I found the remains of the one for my 55 Clipper there near the transmission hump. Good luck. JWL

Here is a photo of what was left of the "build sheet". Mostly gone, but a valuable find. JWL

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0003.jpg (65.98 KB)
565_5d52eb3b1c320.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 8/13 9:50:57

The past is a different country: They do things differently there. (L.P. Hartley)

Forum Ambassador
From Deee-troit
Contact the gift shop at the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, give them your vehicle numbers and $45 each and they will send you your build sheet and shipping manifest.

Posted on: 8/28 9:07:07

Home away from home
From WA
Quote:
Unless the engine has been swapped, one other possible way to get within a few months would be to find a casting date on the block. Haven't read that Packard stockpiled large volumes of unfinished blocks or finished engines so doubt the date the block was cast and then engine finished and installed in the car would be different by more than a month or two. Posted on: 8/12 19:39:15 _________________ Howard

I've never found any correlation between engine casting date codes and car build dates. Most blocks carry 1955 dates, so it would seem the contract foundry cast most of them within a short window.

jack vines

Posted on: 8/28 9:22:37

Just can't stay away
Great! Thank you!

Posted on: 8/29 6:21:10

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
Image236
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.