Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955-56 Packard Executive. Parts Car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Where would I find the overdrive switch on the dash or below the dash?

If not broken, there is a round plastic knob located under the dash to the right of the steering column. An overdrive car will also have a relay with a fuse on the side which is in a rectangular enclosure that is mounted on the firewall behind the engine and fairly close to the distributor.

If a standard trans now then looking at the photos you posted on the jalopy forum I believe the car was originally an Ultramatic with push buttons. I base this on what appears to be a part of the throttle linkage for the Ultra mounted on the engine and the windshield washer is mounted in the area where it was relocated when the push button shift relays were installed.

Posted on: 2019/8/24 15:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

OhioRick
See User information
Check out the same link again
I've added firewall, interior and inner door plate pictures.
The car is an automatic.
Rick.

Posted on: 2019/8/25 13:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Rick

Thanks for taking the time to add the photos. The interior appears to be all vinyl or have leather seating surfaces. Either way, it looks to be reasonably good enough to clean up, replace the driver's seat insert and use in another Executive sedan.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/8/25 17:10
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Wonder if that engine has a forged crank.
56 executive 4 Dr we had. had one.

Posted on: 2019/8/25 23:12
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Thank you for all the extra pictures.

Interesting that the trim code is not stamped.
I'm not familiar with executive interiors to know if this is a custom interior, or a standard offering.

The dash screen still looks good.

I don't see a pushbutton or a lever for the transmission.

Posted on: 2019/8/26 18:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I don't see a pushbutton or a lever for the transmission.

Since the current owner says it is an automatic and there is still part of the throttle linkage on the engine to confirm, I would say that poor car was built with PBs. Unless the PB housing is in the trunk the car might have donated the setup to live another life.

Since it is an Ultra I say it had PBs originally because of the washer location and the red emergency brake light option lens is still in the dash and switch is on the emerg brake mechanism.

Posted on: 2019/8/26 19:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

OhioRick
See User information
Finally out and on its way to the new owner who is rebuilding two of these.

Attach file:

jpeg  (456.54 KB)
199908_5d8f9673c8d08.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/9/28 12:20
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

greg moore
See User information
Since the executive used Clipper and Packard parts what size engine was used and was the suspension, wheels, Clipper or Packard?Thank You

Posted on: 2019/9/28 15:23
g moore
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Executive was in fact identical to the Clipper Custom mechanically. To make an Executive the Clipper front clip was replaced by the Packard grill and eyebrow front clip. A couple of new pieces of side trim to mimic the Packard styling plus some name badges made it a Packard branded model. The Custom used the 352 engine and the Executive kept the Clipper running gear and wheels.

As has been described in some articles Packard stopped making the Custom at the end of shift one day and when production started the next day the Executive had completely replaced the Custom. I don't remember if any of the books mentioned but would be interesting to know how much if any advance warning was given to dealers the Custom was going to be discontinued and were there Customs in the pipeline when the changeover was made.

Posted on: 2019/9/28 15:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Looks like that Packard made it out of the building just in time....

Posted on: 2019/9/28 15:44
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved