Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Henney U-Joints
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Does anyone have modern part numbers for the u-joints or even period manufacturer's numbers that will help identify them? They were apparently the same as the earlier long wheelbase Custom Eight 7-passenger sedan and limousine which also had a two-piece driveshaft, and the two rear ones fit some earlier junior and senior models back to 1941 and the other fits even earlier models.

This from my notes but I've not been able to cross reference it to Napa or other brand:

Packard part no. 354670 (1x, front, same as Custom Eight)
Packard part no. 382742 (2x, rear, same as Custom Eight)

Posted on: 2019/8/24 12:27
 Top  Print 

Re: Henney U-Joints
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The local (to my Terrebonne, OR shop) Napa still has the old thick catalogs and another Napa in nearby Bend, OR (about 50 miles away) has a machine shop and rebuilds drive lines but no listing for u-joints for the Henney. They said that they can match it if I bring one in but I don't have one to bring in! Actually I probably do because I'm a pack rat and have old ones but I was never too good at marking anything until recently so I wouldn't know which they are but maybe by elimination I can figure it out.

Posted on: 2019/8/29 11:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No luck with Hollanders?

Posted on: 2019/8/29 11:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If the Napa guys looked in Hollanders, then nothing was found but I don't have one myself. I was hoping that someone with a period u-joint book could provide a brand and number.

Posted on: 2019/8/29 11:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I dug out some u-joints from my shop and discovered two that are likely Henney (and two from an Ultramatic passenger car) but so far I've not been able to get a crossover to a Napa or other modern number and I also don't know which is for the front shaft and which for the rear shaft. Does anyone have any old books that might help?

Attach file:

jpg  (178.23 KB)
60923_5d68887b0f330.jpg 1388X1042 px

jpg  (232.15 KB)
60923_5d68889064675.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2019/8/29 21:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you considered contacting Dana/Spicer?

Posted on: 2019/8/30 10:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The Napa shop that does drivelines looked in their catalogs but found nothing but that was before it occurred to me to see if I had an old one laying around. Now that I've found what I believe came from a Henney, I need to determine which is the single front one and which is the rear where two are needed but I believe the rear is the one with the round pair of caps. Since that Napa is about fifty miles away, I would like to come up with a number to take into the local Napa or other parts store.

Posted on: 2019/8/30 10:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Don,

I know you are working on a totally different car than mine, but after just having done my clutch and having fresh memory of the parts, that N-3012-G, sure looks like the front one on my drive shaft. If the back one has two, are they together, like a CV joint?? If so, the 'other' one you posted might be one of the two for the rear... possibly??

Posted on: 2019/8/30 14:25
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The Henneys have a 2-piece driveshaft with a short one at the front and a longer one at the rear supported at the joint by a frame-mounted bracket and bearing. That's why there are three u-joints but the one that looks like yours is probably twice the size as used in a 1939 Six!

Posted on: 2019/8/30 15:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Don,

ALL, Henney have a 2 piece drive shaft?

The 54 LWB sedan and limo too?

Have you tried the professional car society website?

http://professionalcarsociety.org/index.php

Posted on: 2019/8/30 15:59
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved