Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 Standard 8 Distributor Removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
I keep getting delayed in my quest to take off the cylinder head and replace the gasket. Now that I'm about to do it I realize that the distributor needs to come off which looks like it will require taking out the whole shaft assembly? My question is - does anybody have insight or suggestions for removing the distributor and being able to install it again in the exact location?

Posted on: 2019/9/3 18:43
 Top  Print 

Re: 1934 Standard 8 Distributor Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The drive slot in the top of the cam-driven shaft is slightly off-center, take note of its position before removal and do not turn the engine over unless the shaft is in place. Likewise take note of the distributor rotor position before removal. The distributor drive key is likewise slightly off center to correspond to the same feature on the distributor drive shaft. Remove the distributor at the cylinder head (3 bolts) and take note of the position of the distributor body, for example the position of the grease cup.

And in the interests of correctness, your 1100/1101/1102 is an "Eight", not a Standard Eight. The use of Standard as part of the model name ended in 1932.

Posted on: 2019/9/3 18:58
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bill Hawley
See User information
Owen, thanks for getting back to me. So, just to be clear, As long as I mark the location of the rotor drive shaft it is not important as to whether any of the pistons are top dead center or not? Also, thank you for the clarification on the 'eight' name.

Posted on: 2019/9/3 22:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, just don't turn the engine over before you reinstall. Note the cam-driven shaft has a square drive so it can go in 4 possible but only one correct way - that's why you must take note of it's position via the slightly off-center key slot.

Posted on: 2019/9/4 7:54
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved