Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 184

Jack Vines, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '38 six cyl question wrong oil filter? Really ready to start
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on the filter. The prewar factory canister type filters appears to have needed an orifice added as when the bypass filter plumbing was adopted Packard issued an article advising mechanics to solder a fitting closed and then drill a specific size hole thru the solder to ensure a restriction was in one of the fittings. After the filter plumbing change the factory supplied brass blocks or elbows had the orifice already incorporated.

Postwar factory filters appears to have had the orifice in the filter assy which consisted of one or two small holes drilled in the center pipe. Aftermarkets probably had the same arrangement. I would examine your filter carefully to see if it has the one or two fairly small holes (1/16" or less) in the center pipe. If larger or if there are multiple holes, does one of the side outlets in the 4 way brass block at the engine or one of the 90 degree elbows on the filter have a small hole in the port. If the filter has been on the engine all these years chances are there is an orifice somewhere and the rubber hoses are just a connection.

Posted on: 2019/9/9 12:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
Thanks to all, I'm going to run the shorter filter in my original photo thanks to Howard's explanation. Where do I find a copy of the data book? I will check for an orifice.

Posted on: 2019/9/9 14:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can download a copy of the 38 data book from the literature section on the website.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1938_PackardSixEightDataBook.pdf

Posted on: 2019/9/9 14:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved