The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
34 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...

NOS Vacuum wiper co-ordinator, 55 & 56 models
Home away from home
From MKE, WI
I picked up an NOS unit a while back & will not use it. Offered here first. Thinking $59 bucks? Or make offer.

Attach file:

jpg  P1011831.JPG (295.89 KB)
15023_5d7995cb3ba3c.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 9/11 17:48:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: NOS Vacuum wiper co-ordinator, 55 & 56 models
Home away from home
From sw, pa
I often wonder what the difference is between the 1955-56 co-ordinator and the 1951-54 unit??

Posted on: 9/12 5:30:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: NOS Vacuum wiper co-ordinator, 55 & 56 models
Forum Ambassador
From Fresno CA
I believe the actual co-ordinator and bracket are the same for all cars that had that particular Trico system. I bought a Chevy version which fit perfectly on the Packard.

For Packard, it was first offered in 54 and the 54 wiper motor is slightly different from the other motors. The slots the bracket and co-ordinator operating wire slides into is cast in the 54 cover and was not present on the earlier motors. Due to the location of the 54 hydraulic window pump the entire wiper motor and co-ordinator assy is tilted so the extra length of the co-ordinator assy will slide below the pump motor mounting bracket and clear if the pump is installed. 55-6 cars do not have the pump clearance issue so motors were straightened again but other features were added to the wipers so those motors are also different from past versions.

The 54 washer bottle lid has a 6v solenoid with a black cover over the solenoid assy compared to the 55-6 12v solenoid which except for the very first installed units is designated by a red cover.

There is some evidence Packard was going to do something different with the washer setup as there is a vacuum version of the 55-6 wiper switch without any of the electrical section needed for the solenoid operation. That switch has a 56 date on the paperwork. Would be interesting to know if the co-ordinator stayed the same or was going to something different or if there are any 56 cars with the all vacuum system.

Posted on: 9/12 6:46:27

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
1948 Custom 8 Touring Sedan
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.