Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Differences in 41/47 Deluxe Clipper Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Since you are seeking to make a tribute car, changing the appearance to that of a pre-war Clipper is a simple: remove the heavy bumper ends and replace the center grille with the fine bar unit from a '41-'42 model. No one is going to recognize the dash and interior pattern differences, except maybe Packard folks. I'd recommend you don't do anything that's not easily reversible later. Military-spec'd 1940's cars appeal to a very limited group of collectors,

Remember, the first thing anyone did who bought an Army drab surplus staff car after the war took it immediately to an Earl Schieb paint shop for a quick re-spray to an appealing 'civilian' color.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/9/16 9:11
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, you would be better off keeping it as a 47 for resale if nothing else. Trying to make it a prewar staff car would just make it another obvious fake of which there have been several.

Finding the prewar grill and reverting some outside changes should not be that big a task but those who know Packards would spot the harder to change differences such as the dash and obviously the numbers right away. Without proven documentation or a buyer who just absolutely had to have your particular car I would expect you would take a financial hit when you try to sell although as was mentioned there are people who it would appeal to.

Completely agree about the interior if you do go the prewar route but strongly suggest it be listed as a tribute for a 42 because of the dash. Packard did not build that many prewar Clippers and since they are a desirable model there are not too many decent parts cars sitting around. Mechanically many parts carried over and were used for several years on all the models so are not that horrible to find but depending on what trim is needed many items are one year and some even one model only. Parts chasing for interior and some trim items to try to make it a prewar Clipper could be very interesting and expensive.

Posted on: 2019/9/16 9:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Aside from all the above, your 1947 Clipper is seven inches shorter than the 1941 model.

Posted on: 2019/9/16 10:01
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Thank you all for the opinions and suggestions. I understand completely to limit the revisions to those that can be unrevised by another owner or collector. My experience level is military vehicles from WWI through Korea with jeeps and tracked vehicles. I have stayed away from "normal" steel body cars due to my limited ability to work and paint metal.
OD lusterless green is very forgiving.

So, tribute 47 Packard staff car. Limited, if any, modifications and keep restoration costs down to a minimum and upon completion, the satisfaction will be with myself and the military vehicle community. If some Packard enthusiasts can appreciate keeping at least one more on the road, than that would be added value to me.

So, any interest if I start a restoration thread for this project? Or will it be perceived by this audience that I am wasting a perfectly good Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.25 KB)
200179_5d7fd2f915d89.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2019/9/16 13:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Some pic's taken at the Dayton Ohio Packard Museum in 2012.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.98 KB)
226_5d809f2374c9a.jpg 833X625 px

jpg  (45.86 KB)
226_5d809f2eccc1a.jpg 768X576 px

jpg  (40.96 KB)
226_5d809f3ce9486.jpg 768X576 px

jpg  (37.46 KB)
226_5d809f476fcf9.jpg 768X576 px

Posted on: 2019/9/17 3:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
By all means build your tribute car. I am all in favor of any means to keep the Packard name before the public.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 6:44
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
The PO has a 41 grill that is "pretty rough", but as it will get painted OD green and not chromed, if it will fit the existing space, we will consider using it and saving the original grill. I think we will leave the interior differences alone. Again, if we can make some changes that do not drastically alter the sheet metal, and it makes sense financially, we'll give it a shot.
Looking forward to having the actual car in our stable in mid October. Right now, dealing with photos and on site third party inspection.
But excited.

Posted on: 2019/9/18 9:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...You should start a restoration thread as many of us will be interested in what you are doing. It may not be stock, but it does mean that another Packard is on the road...Just my humble opinion...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/9/18 11:55
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
FWIW, my vote follows Ross' & Ernie's... a Packard on the road is multiple times better than one at the crusher!

Posted on: 2019/9/18 12:38
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Returning another Packard on the road again is the best reason to pursue this project. Its very presences will expose those to whom Packard was previously unknown, especially true for younger people.

Please start a project blog to document your progress and share it with us. Its also a good place to ask questions and keep track of answers. You'll also find the 'search' function very useful as many of the problems you'll encounter have already been dealt with and are well documented.

Welcome and good luck with your new Packard project:

Steve

Posted on: 2019/9/18 18:37
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved