Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

49 22nd Deluxe Sedan Locks
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello,

I have a question about the door locks on my Deluxe. Both are broken, keys turn but when I pulled off the drivers door card to fix the window I found the square rod sitting on the bottom of the door. I read through the manual and the threads it didn't specifically see what I was wondering, and I don't want to brake anything because the appearance of locks is better than nothing!

My question is, using the needle technique or similar, can I (or a locksmith)remove just the broken tumbler and then slot in a working one (without removing the whole latch assembly)? If that is the case, has anyone identified specifically a tool or needle that fits/works?

Attached is the picture of the broken rod.

Attach file:

jpeg  (233.61 KB)
181869_5d8137766a45a.jpeg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2019/9/17 14:44
 Top  Print 

Re: 49 22nd Deluxe Sedan Locks
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Good question about the 'needle'. As I remember the square rod is attached to the lock cylinder with a joint that allows quite a bit of flexibility . . . make that too much flexibility. I've never attempted the 'needle' technique, but I would suspect it starts with pushing a needle from the outside of the car through the door panel/card, noting the location, and then at the same location pushing the needle from inside the car back through the latch. I believe the square rod has a dimple in the end that the needle will index into. The lock & rod and the needle are moved into position as one assembly, with a bit of teasing as the rod enters the latch.

Now here's the good news, if you 'zip tie' (use a real small one) the stainless rectangular stock that reinforces a wind shield wiper blade to the square rod you can manipulate the rod as it approaches the latch mechanism. Once the rod engages you will still have enough room to extract the rectangular stainless piece. You'll end-up with a 'zip tie' around the rod, but no needle hole in the door panel/card.
If the door panels/cards are removed you should succeed without the use of a needle.

Posts 45 & 47 of the following link illustrates what's inside the 22nd/23rd series door latch
packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19146&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40

dp

Posted on: 2019/9/17 18:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Am I missing something here? If the door card is already off there is no need for elaborate procedures--just bring the shank into the latch as the tumbler is inserted into the door. Been quite a while since I have done it but I remember getting my hand up in there to guide it in.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 18:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Ok, I think I was looking to confirm that the tumbler can be removed and I erred by hand, and there wasn't some reason why the procedures needed to be used for alignment of the shaft or anything. Most threads are about more complicated situations (door permanently locked, broken latches, etc). I didn't want to try pushing the lock out by hand and end up creating a problem.

Posted on: 2019/9/18 10:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Finally got around to the locks, of course it didn't go as planned. First I realized that I needed to grind down the end of the new shank as mine was square up to the end. Once that was done, I thought it would just slide in but the angle of the tumbler is too severe for the shank to fit in the latch and the lock to sit flush. I may have to order another set of locks and keys because the eBay ones I have don't have enough angle.

Why wouldn't they just make the tumbler directly across from the latch?!?

Attach file:

jpeg  (200.94 KB)
181869_5f0c51880e450.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  (224.25 KB)
181869_5f0c51969175c.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (214.50 KB)
181869_5f0c51ad94f7f.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/13 7:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
So I've heard there might be small u-joints to install that rectify this issue? Can someone confirm this for me before I drop unnecessary $$ on another set of locks?

Posted on: 2020/7/15 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

H.E.PennyPackard wrote:
So I've heard there might be small u-joints to install that rectify this issue? Can someone confirm this for me before I drop unnecessary $$ on another set of locks?

Yes, there should be a universal joint in the 22nd and 23rd Series door locks as well as the stepped down lock end on the shaft.

It looks like what you have is a lock for the 20th and 21st series which did not use the universal joint and had a square end on the shaft.

Breakage of the small universal joint is a common reason for failure of the 22nd/23rd Series door locks.

Posted on: 2020/7/15 16:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Great, that is very helpful! It seems like I'll need to just buy a new kit with the joints and stepped down shaft.

Thanks a bunch!

Posted on: 2020/7/15 16:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea what a lock kit would cost or if they are available to convert the shafts on locks you have but If there is a lot of expense for a kit and you have the old locks and there is enough room to add a commercial U joint, you might be able to do the job fairly inexpensively.

I measure the shaft on a 47 lock to be 5mm and imagine the 22-23 is probably the same. Amazon has an assortment of various size miniature U joints in that range made for robotics and RC models. If the length of the U joint will fit in the space between the lock and the latch assy you could use a portion of the old stepped down shaft from the old lock by cutting it to size and then cutting a length off the shaft of the new lock in order to install one of the miniature universal joints near the cylinder. That arrangement might be stronger than the original pot metal U joint assy. Amazon has other style joints besides the one I show.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.24 KB)
209_5f0f772a5b75c.jpg 1920X989 px

Posted on: 2020/7/15 16:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Thanks Howard! I was about to get new ones but I think I'll give that a try to see how it goes. Given it's a daily driver in the NE I also like the idea of avoiding pot metal joints and opting for something a bit stronger, at least for unseen door innards. I'll report back about how it goes.

Posted on: 2020/7/16 6:08
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved