Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

water pump questions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray Allegrezza
See User information
Thanks, in advance, for your guidance. The water pump on my 1952 200 Deluxe died and my new one finally came from Kanter. I've read conflicting information regarding the installation...specifically whether to use some sealant for the gasket or not.

Also, the other issue is once the water pump is installed, is it ok to run the car right away or wait a day? I read that I should turn the water pump manually before starting the car. True or false? I also plan to add fresh antifreeze. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, as always!

Posted on: 2019/9/18 6:35
 Top  Print 

Re: water pump questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming the proper gasket material is being used, successful installations can occur both with sealant and without, your choice. My preference is to use a good gasket shellac like Indian Head or sealant like Permatex No. 4, but I would NOT use a silicone sealant.

As soon as the pump and coolant is installed, feel free to start the car and drive it across the country if you wish. Can't say I've ever in 50+ years working on old cars heard that you had to wait or turn a pump by hand first, where did you hear or read that?

Posted on: 2019/9/18 7:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi,
Why shouldn't you use silicone gasket sealant? Anywhere else it shouldn't be used? Thanks
John

Posted on: 2019/9/18 17:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, it's just that I've seen so many problems caused by misuse of silicone gasket sealant, that I wouldn't recommend its use anywhere. Especially, don't use on fuel systems.

Posted on: 2019/9/18 19:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Permatex #4?? I'll have to look that up. I seen #1 and #2 non hardening.....
Sometimes bits of silicone get into thing you don't want it in..

Posted on: 2019/9/18 21:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Thanks for the advice! I keep learning valuable information.

Posted on: 2019/9/19 11:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved