Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hood seal rubber stripping... '39 Six
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I was out on the highway the other day and the headwind was such that my hood started to flutter quite loudly at the back of the hood on top. I checked under it when I got home and see some small holes there on the top of the firewall lip, obviously for anchoring some kind of stripping. I looked through Steele's offering and don't see anything specific to that area and I can't come up with a part number in the parts list. I THOUGHT maybe a guy could put some nice, neat strips of adhesive-back closed cell black foam in there just to fill the space and not give the fairly thin metal of the hood, any room to flutter. I view this as somewhat of a jury-rigged solution and would rather locate the 'real thing'. Anybody know of a source for the correct rubber molding for there??
Or what do most owners do?? Thanks, as always for any help or suggestions. Chris

Posted on: 2019/9/27 1:55
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Hood seal rubber stripping... '39 Six
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Chris, If you haven't already done so, be sure to request a Steele printed catalog as it has countless items not found on their Website. The site is very basic and limited in what it shows. From memory, though, mine had hood lacing that was riveted in place but I'm not really sure if that's how it was attached as it was a long, long time ago that I owned my 1939 Six.

Posted on: 2019/9/27 3:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't help on what is correct but maybe Flackmaster or one of the prewar guys will see your question and can answer. If not, here are some photos from the archive showing what others have done on their 38-40 cars. Steele has what he calls a peel and stick hood to cowl piece in his Universal Seals and Parts peel and stick extrusions category as well as several other different peel and stick shapes. Also has a large selection of general shape cement on extrusions.

If the holes are large enough there is a selection of stem bumpers also listed in the Universal Parts section. Perhaps one would fit the holes and be in a shape to stop the flutter but still be easily removable. A few of those could help until the proper solution is determined.

In their PDF catalog which you can download, Restoration Specialties has several sizes of the old style woven fabric hood lace and anti squeak or cushion pieces. Those are sold by the foot. They have one called a channel lace that looks similar to what is on some of the mid 30s cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.14 KB)
209_5d8e26ff6a087.jpg 216X341 px

jpg  (29.31 KB)
209_5d8e270e34b8a.jpg 360X548 px

jpg  (29.28 KB)
209_5d8e2722e939d.jpg 382X550 px

jpg  (22.30 KB)
209_5d8e2736a0385.jpg 342X326 px

Posted on: 2019/9/27 10:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Chris just drives to fast..... LOL

Posted on: 2019/9/27 12:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
There's a pic in this post from when I replaced the cowl beading on my '41 Coupe. Used S/S screws to replace the rivets.

Posted on: 2019/9/27 15:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Chris;

For what it's worth many pre-war cars used lacing between the hood and cowl, such as, but not limited to early Ford products. I also believe this lacing was a commodity item, and not unique to any one car manufacturer. The reason for the brand X reference is purely cost. I think you could pull-off the entire project for less than $20 if products marketed for early Fords is used, which may have the same cross section as the original Packard item, but I don't know that for sure. Ford lacing was attached with split rivets, which are quite easy to install, but do require a team of two. My experience is the hood lacing will show wear initially as a color change (initially black which wears to a much lighter tan color), which I keep after with a carbon black paste intended for wood stoves, but I'm sure KIWI shoe polish would suffice. I believe keeping the cord material as dry as possible is key in the longevity of the lacing, hence the paste or polish touch-up to hold down the wicking of rain water.

Or you could leave it as is, and consider the hood flapping as a gear extended upper air speed limit (Vle) warning device . . . much better than the fender flapping alternate.

dp

Posted on: 2019/9/27 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thank you! for the responses, Guys. 'Cowl Lacing' - I knew it would have a proper name, just didn't know what it was. I will give Steele a call and see what they have for 'generic' beading and fasteners. Those photos show it perfectly.
Quote:
Chris just drives to fast..... LOL
John, you sound like my wife! ...I was only maxing out at about 55 on the highway.... seems to be the sweet spot for that six. I have Coker radials installed and she handles very well on the highway.... quite pleased. I put on several hundred miles over the summer and no major issues. (knock on wood!) Plates run out at month-end, so shall put her up on blocks and engage in a few 'off-season' projects. Having it on the road and being able to drive it this year has been a real gas! Well worth the expense of a rebuilt motor. Chris.

Posted on: 2019/9/28 11:06
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved