Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 92

29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

47 Windshield Wiper Motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
The insulation on all three wires coming out of my Redmound Electric motor is gone. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to take one of these motors apart to replace the wires coming out of the motor and also is there a drawing for the model in the 47. I found the S/W Model 645-E on this web site but it's a little different then the one on my 47.
Thanks for any and all help!
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/1 14:02
 Top  Print 

Re: 47 Windshield Motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Haven't looked at my 1946 wiper motor yet, I know someone has hooked it to another switch in place of the original on the top of the dash.
I would not think it would be to hard to replace the wire in the motor.
John

Posted on: 2019/10/1 14:07
 Top  Print 

Re: 47 Windshield Wiper Motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks John for responding, I didn't think I would get much since, motors back in the day were just replace and it was easier to get a new. I've opened the motor up and it looks like it's impossible to take the coils out since I'm thinking they tapped off one of the set of two coils to make it a two speed motor. One does not really think about how something works as long as it works and works correctly. I did find another wiper motor on ebay, so now I need to figure out the wiring for this motor.
So thanks again!
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/2 10:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have not found info on the exact SW wiper model Packard used postwar but here is a patent application for the wipers which has a schematic along with the diagrams instead of the layout drawing that is in the service material. The patent was filed in 41 and no idea how accurate the schematic might be but I suspect the electrical may be similar to the postwar versions. Starting about line 60 is an electrical description of the operation so perhaps an idea of how the motor itself is wired could be determined from following the writeup.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 782.77 KB; Hits: 57

Posted on: 2019/10/3 9:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Howard, that's almost as good if not better then the manual for the other wiper on this web site.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/3 10:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Are the wires broke or just missing the insulation. If it is just the insulation, you might be able to just slip pieces of "spaghetti" over the old wires. It is possible to strip the casing off of new plastic coated wire and use for this.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 12:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
The insulation on the wires is pretty much gone (mostly bare wires outside the motor. The Spaghetti would have worked, but since I've opened the motor up now the wire going to the brushed is losing its insulation also. I see ebay has some 6 volt wiper motors for sale. Redmond motor, looks the same as I have.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/3 13:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Well I gave up on trying to replace the wires, started taking the motor apart and I needed to take the windings out to connect the new wires but I just can figure out how it was put together to take it apart.
So I found a two speed six volt motor on ebay and tried to wire it up but without a wiring diagram it just wasn't going to work. Lucky with the information that Howard gave me, I finally sat down pulled up the Patent 2,357,152 and was able to figure it out. With the switch connect and a few jumper wires and a six volt battery, I watch it go from OFF to SLOW to FAST and when switch to OFF watch it go slow to the PARK position.
Now I just need to add some permanent wires and it will be ready to insult.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (248.03 KB)
1003_5f4fc11c65f51.jpg 1000X1517 px

jpg  (70.18 KB)
1003_5f4fc1b4a98fe.jpg 828X558 px

jpg  (30.21 KB)
1003_5f4fc1c6e1b37.jpg 560X494 px

jpg  (194.96 KB)
1003_5f4fc2cea09fc.jpg 1920X1440 px

png  (628.45 KB)
1003_5f4fc39726d4d.png 1278X948 px

Posted on: 2020/9/2 11:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Boy Wes, these drawings and schematics will be helpful for sure when it comes time to look at my own wiper motor. Thanks

John

Posted on: 2020/9/2 15:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
That's what I shoot for. Here's a short piece about the operation along with the Patent.
Thank!
Wes

Attach file:

png  (288.02 KB)
1003_5f502e8f79195.png 735X672 px
pdf Size: 782.71 KB; Hits: 59

Posted on: 2020/9/2 18:45
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved