Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Earl C. Anthony registry?????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Is anyone or any organization documenting existing EAC Packards?
If so, I will send in whatever info they want for our early Third Series sedan.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.05 KB)
441_5da668883ce52.jpg 800X588 px

Posted on: 2019/10/15 19:48
 Top  Print 

Re: Earl C. Anthony registry?????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
That would be Earle C. Anthony (with an "e" on the Earle). Magazines and people making repop serial plates for some odd reason leave off the "e" and spell the name wrong-unwittingly revealing that the plate has been faked. But the name was always correctly spelled "Earle C. Anthony."

There was a prominent magazine that featured a supposed celebrity-owned Packard that supposedly was sold by the Los Angeles ECA dealership. Trouble was that the photo they published of the serial plate showed a shiny plate with Mr. Anthony's name spelled "Earl C. Anthony" stamped into the plate. Having known executives of ECA, Inc. there is no way, no how that Mr. Anthony would have allowed a car to be delivered to a celebrity with Mr. Anthony's name misspelled.

As a founding member of the Earle C. Anthony region of the Packard Club in the 1970s, I have tried to keep up with such things. But as far as I know, there is no registry for "Earle C. Anthony cars." Which raises yet another question.

Biggest part of the problem is that most people don't know the actual reasons why the ECA name ended up on their car. This is a necessary thing to fully understand. And... they don't understand or can't know if their car was actually sold by an Earle C. Anthony dealership or merely distributed by ECA. Big difference.

Posted on: 2019/10/15 20:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Same for me.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.11 KB)
1067_5da6833acbee9.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (74.22 KB)
1067_5da6834763bf1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2019/10/15 21:41
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Is there a short history of the Anthony agency? What happend to it after Packard closed, etc?

Posted on: 2019/10/16 0:52
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Maybe Stuart, with a forum name of ECAnthony, might be interested?

Posted on: 2019/10/16 2:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Here is a pic of the plate on the instrument panel just above the steering column.
I understand the KFI was his radio station.
The plate has great patina and certainly does not look like a reproduction.

Attach file:

jpg  (153.63 KB)
441_5da7125627208.jpg 983X559 px

Posted on: 2019/10/16 7:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe this to be the last version of the ECA plate as used on a new Packard, this from a 1955 or 1956 model.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.71 KB)
177_5da7327bbb73d.jpg 632X370 px

Posted on: 2019/10/16 10:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

fredinflorida wrote:
Is there a short history of the Anthony agency? What happend to it after Packard closed, etc?

Hello...

? There was a magnificent 2-part history of Earle C. Anthony (the man and much of his biz) published many years ago in the Packard Club Cormorant magazine (TPC). It was written by Stuart Blond. If you go to the Packard Club website and look in the TPC index you can find the issues and I believe these are still available.

? Earle C. Anthony, Inc. was not an agency but rather a lot of things.
...It was the southwest Packard distributorship.
...It was radio and TV stations
...It was several Packard dealerships in northern and southern California (these actual Anthony dealerships are often confused with NON-Anthony dealerships that were simply served by the Anthony distributorship).
...It was a custom car operation that created special Packards and special Packard accessories.

? At various times ECA also sold cars other than Packard... for instance Hudson, Overland, Borgward and Lincoln.

? After Packard ceased operations in Detroit (and Mr. Anthony was a member of the PMCC Board of Directors), the Los Angeles dealership took on Lincoln. This beautiful dealership building was also once the location of KFI-radio. The building was ultimately closed only to have the magnificent building re-vamped into a bank computer center (where I worked while in college). There were also ECA dealerships in San Francisco, Oakland and Beverly Hills. All were sold off, some were demolished.

? Mr. Anthony was one of the world's most amazing businessmen. He had numerous enterprises and introduced new technologies and promoted things to commercial success. Among these were the first successful commercial neon signs, the ancestor of Chevron gas stations, an ancestral company to Greyhound bus lines, and much more. He even invented television cooking shows.

There are three individuals who have a large quantity of ECA information and materials. I am one of them. Stuart is another. A third is a mutual friend. All of us have been involved with the Earle C. Anthony Region of PAC. I knew the last two top execs who were from the original ECA organizations and saved everything they had.

Here is one of Mr. Anthony's early Packard busses...

Attach file:

jpg  (64.13 KB)
1249_5da737ad968c1.jpg 720X576 px

Posted on: 2019/10/16 10:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
KECA, Anthony's "other" radio station in Los Angeles, was sold to what later became the ABC Network (American Broadcasting Company), when the FCC ordered NBC to split their NBC-Blue and NBC-Red stations in the 1940s. (KECA is now the radio station KABC.) So, the later ECA dash board plates would mention only KFI.

ECA, Inc. in Los Angeles took on Ford's M-E-L lineup in 1958 (Mercury, Edsel and Lincoln). By the time the dealership, located at 10th and Hope, closed in 1962 only Lincolns and Mercurys were being sold. Up in San Francisco, the Chrysler lineup was being sold into the 1960s. Around 1975, it became British Motors.

Posted on: 2019/10/16 21:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

ECAnthony wrote:
KECA, Anthony's "other" radio station in Los Angeles, was sold to what later became the ABC Network (American Broadcasting Company), when the FCC ordered NBC to split their NBC-Blue and NBC-Red stations in the 1940s. (KECA is now the radio station KABC.) So, the later ECA dash board plates would mention only KFI.

ECA, Inc. in Los Angeles took on Ford's M-E-L lineup in 1958 (Mercury, Edsel and Lincoln). By the time the dealership, located at 10th and Hope, closed in 1962 only Lincolns and Mercurys were being sold. Up in San Francisco, the Chrysler lineup was being sold into the 1960s. Around 1975, it became British Motors.

Yes. But while "10th & Hope" was the longtime slogan, let's make the L.A. dealership location the corner of Olympic Blvd. and Hope Street. 10th Street was renamed in the 1930s and became Olympic.

When I worked there in the 1970s they used to let me park my Scottish Heather/Dover White 1956 Packard Four Hundred in the basements (Mr. Anthony's original safety ramps were still intact from street level-down).

The 1000 S. Hope St. location of the Los Angeles ECA dealership today is now a condo complex named "Packard Lofts." Tours in the area and bogus "histories" in books and on the internet will tell also you that this was also the location of the first neon sign, but not true. That sign was actually located at the corner of 7th and Flower (the uninformed will argue this into the ground).

I wonder what Mr. Anthony would think of what has become of his beautiful building that could once display up to 25 Packards in absolute splendor?

Posted on: 2019/10/17 11:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved