Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

DashBoard material for 1928 -533 Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Can anyone tell me what type of wood originally would of been used in a 28 533? I currently have a metal dash with vinyl wood grain paper over it. The car was originally modified by Dietrich.

Thanks,
Gar

Posted on: 2019/10/16 20:13
 Top  Print 

Re: DashBoard material for 1928 -533 Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi,
I am by no means an expert on the late 20s cars. I have an unmolested 1929 model 645 7 passenger sedan (virtually identical to the "big" limo for '29). The instrument panel is metal painted in a woodgrain pattern. there is a strip of wood for the dashboard. I seem to recall either hearing, or reading somewhere that Packard used carpathian elm veneers for the wood trim on the late 20's cars, but I refer back to my opening statement.

John Wogec

Posted on: 2019/10/17 16:33
 Top  Print 

Re: DashBoard material for 1928 -533 Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is a picture of a 426 dashboard.

By 1929 Packard was putting some fancier patterns. They were done by lithography the same way as toys. What I have never seen is two same series original cars next to each other and whether the dashboards had identical patterns.

If the panels were decorated and then stamped they would differ by car. Packard was the king of fake wood, but given their penchant for expensive finishing processes, I doubt it was cheaper than paint or actual wooden parts.

I would classify the pattern for this car imitation mahogany and it probably lost some redness over the years.

Attach file:

jpg  (260.16 KB)
373_5daa2b7357a32.jpg 1024X1365 px

Posted on: 2019/10/18 16:15
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved