Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 106

29tons, indhd20s, pmhowe, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Sticky accelerator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
At the beginning in my accelerator pedal stroke there is something causing the pedal to stick.

Does anyone know how to address this?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2019/10/17 22:11
1951 200 Deluxe Sedan Valiant Green Metallic
Vehicle #:2462 8372
 Top  Print 

Re: Sticky accelerator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Am I the only unlucky one with a sticky gas pedal?

Posted on: 2019/10/19 5:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not the only one with the issue and here are a few things others have found.

Check the rod from the pedal passing thru the carpet and floor hole to make sure it is not binding or scraping the side of the hole thru the floor and that the accelerator pedal bottom end is not bent or the retaining pin is not out of the bracket on one side letting the pedal cock. Look at the pivot assy on the engine side down at the low part of the firewall. Make sure nothing is bent so one of the arms might be catching on the housing portion or that there is no dirt or caked on crud that might be binding.

Check the bracket on the firewall located roughly above the starter motor where the vertical rod from the accelerator pivot assy connects to the rod across the engine. The two sections are held together by rivets thru a rubber cushion. If the rubber has deteriorated or fallen out the top thin part of the bracket where the horizontal rod passes thru can twist or swing back toward the firewall. If it is moving the motion might be allowing some stress or a bind on the horizontal rod at the carb side.

Sometimes additional springs have been added because the original might be a bit weak. Too much tension can take a bit of pressure to overcome and then the linkage jerks as it overcomes the spring tension and breaks free.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.16 KB)
209_5dab2369a0234.jpg 854X614 px

Posted on: 2019/10/19 9:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You will find that the verical blade of the firewall bracket will have collapsed rearward till the cross shaft is almost to the firewall and the whole mechanism is cramped. Take an old shock bushing or a hunk of rubber hose and shove it between the vertical bracket and the firewall. This will move the mechanism back to its correct geometry.

You can take the bracket apart and put in new screws at the bottom, but all of the cars that pass through here just get a shock bushing to carry them way into the 21st century.

Posted on: 2019/10/19 11:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Aptly said Ross and, as always, Howard has provided excellent info on this. When going through the linkage network, all the way over to the carb, there are a lot of places where a well aimed shot of oil can really help to free up and lubricate the whole movement. On the rubber through-firewall grommet, I used some dish soap so as not to (further) degrade the rubber with oil, and that really seemed to help as well. I sprung for a new accelerator pedal too, as mine was terribly worn and I went from very poor pedal movement, to a nice, smooth and stick-free motion. Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/19 13:32
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Thank you very much Gents! I know what will be occupying my time this afternoon - it's a bit unsettling to take the Packard out for my first trips around the block and fight against the accelerator

Posted on: 2019/10/19 14:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...It often takes a good few trips around the block to get a 'New' Packard sorted out so that you trust the old girl...they really do want to please you...you just have to listen and observe and make the necessary changes and repairs one at a time until you are happy with her and she with you! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/10/19 17:07
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Jason,

Ernie makes a great point - that one really has to 'get to know' these cars. The way they start, the way they run, shift and handle, are all a learning curve. It's sure not like jumping into one of today's cars and having everything so generic, there's hardly anything to learn! Between their idiosyncrasies and the things needing fixed, an old Packard can 'keep you guessing' for a while!... Good luck. Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/19 18:48
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Hi Ernie, I'm listening and she sure is talkative!

Posted on: 2019/10/27 0:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Hi Chris,

That's s big part of the reason why I have this car. It will force me to experience the ride on its terms (or pay the price) and as such will slow things down in a time where everything moves much too fast.. I'm looking forward to doing just that and hope that the car is up for it without too much coaxing :)

All the best!

Jason

Posted on: 2019/10/27 0:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved